Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    As an aside, if you decide to go to an 'alternative' medical practice for PfP C, make sure you rip it to shreds in your write up or you'll potentially fail.
    Thanks for the advice. We now have to go to an 'alternative' medical practice for a day and a voluntary practice for another day. We were told something similar by the year above and the person who gave us the introductory session. Our PfP C introductory session was hilarious. We had someone who was telling us about people who "sent him orange" etc Also apparently the colour of your skin can tell you about what underlying health issues you have... I wont repeat what he said but it seemed a bit racist and yet hilariously stupid at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I remember being taught that acupuncture does have some evidence base - homeopathy OBVIOUSLY doesn't - the whole point of it being based on water memory :rofl:.

I wouldn't mix physical pressure/ stimulation of neurones with drinking water...

Be careful not to be on a witch hunt - but equally don't just accept any old rubbish...
    Just be skeptical of everything. Not cynical, there's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Just be skeptical of everything. Not cynical, there's a difference.
    Yeah I know dude - I'm sat here reading endless studies at the moment - so I'm getting pretty good at seeing whether a treatment works well - but equally it's quite easy to get the pitch forks out on everything.

I think we need a list of CAM that are possible useful and those that are not :p:

e.g.
    Useless:
    Homeopathy
    Colonic irrigation :p:

Potentially useful even if just by placebo effect:
    Acupuncture
    Yoga

etc.

I got into a big argument with my aunty the other day as she's convinced homeopathic medicines have stopped her being allergic to things - and that all western medicine is evil :/ (She's on my English side of the family as well! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Also apparently the colour of your skin can tell you about what underlying health issues you have
    Jaundice
    Pallor
    Haemochromatosis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Jaundice
    Pallor
    Haemochromatosis
    Haha - I did think of that but didn't want to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    one of my wisdom teech really hurts, I'm thinking of getting it extracted. Might go over to Kings and let a student dentist do it - free and cba to find a nhs dentist...Good plan or not??
    I'd probably be willing to let them do it if needed, assuming appropriate supervision (though sometimes wisdom teeth need GA if complicated.

On the other hand, my local dentist is still taking NHS patients and my fiancé says that she's hot so you could try that instead (probably not further out of your way than KCH)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    http://www.skepdic.com/osteopathy.html

Not too sure how the field has evolved today.
    I don't think all of them go in for shaking babies! The one I saw was very much musculoskeletal problems only, and although had done 5 years of training did not call himself a doctor (thank God). I'm fairly sceptical about most alternative stuff, but if people want to spend their money I can think of more harmful ways than osteopathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Jaundice
    Pallor
    Haemochromatosis
    I am aware that they do show up but surprisingly none of them were mentioned. The health problems he stated would show no physical signs by your skin colour. Obviously if he had have said them we wouldn't have found it funny...

ReputationRep:
    I may be very wrong, but I have it in the back of my mind that osteos are NHS chiros?
    Also, I have to disagree on the whole chiro quackery front. It's the same as the acupuncturists really, you get good ones and bad ones. We have a couple of placements with them and there' one guy who's totally nuts and preaches about how he doesn't believe in DNA, but my boyfriend's best friend's mother is a chiros and she was chatting to me at a wedding about it. She only does the evidence based manoeuvres and her stuff really seems to work. Quiet a few of the Dr's I work with at the GP surgery often suggest a local chiro because they can help and prob should be on the NHS. There just needs to be a little more regulation to filter out the whackos a bit. This other guy does wonders for people, but as soon as they stand up and walk to the car they've fallen back into the position they were in before. Her stuff is more permanent and educating about exercises and posture, a little like a physio. If you like physios, why not (the real) chiros?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's cranial osteopathy, which I agree does sound mental. And it's especially popular for babies - double mental.

Standard osteopathy is a leetle less quacky; it's basically massage and joint manipulation. And (as I understand it) it is designed to treat muscle/joint problems, unlike chiroquacktors who claim to be able to treat your gallstones/heart failure/whatever by crunching your back. I've had osteopathy in the past and am fairly neutral about it tbh.
    Ah thought that may have been the case. I thought that Osteopaths were also into treating all manner of things with manipulation - not only muslcle/joint problems. But then that could be down to lack of quality control and consistency between practioners. I must say I remain completely skeptical about it.

As an aside (to Wangers also) - I think the free dentistry malarky is at Guy's not KCH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    I may be very wrong, but I have it in the back of my mind that osteos are NHS chiros?
    Also, I have to disagree on the whole chiro quackery front. It's the same as the acupuncturists really, you get good ones and bad ones. We have a couple of placements with them and there' one guy who's totally nuts and preaches about how he doesn't believe in DNA, but my boyfriend's best friend's mother is a chiros and she was chatting to me at a wedding about it. She only does the evidence based manoeuvres and her stuff really seems to work. Quiet a few of the Dr's I work with at the GP surgery often suggest a local chiro because they can help and prob should be on the NHS. There just needs to be a little more regulation to filter out the whackos a bit. This other guy does wonders for people, but as soon as they stand up and walk to the car they've fallen back into the position they were in before. Her stuff is more permanent and educating about exercises and posture, a little like a physio. If you like physios, why not (the real) chiros?
    If we already have physios, who are well regulated and work within the NHS, then why do we need chiropracters if, as you say, they do the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    As an aside (to Wangers also) - I think the free dentistry malarky is at Guy's not KCH.
    Although there is (?was) a dental hossie at Denmark Hill, the main student appointment place is up in Guy's Tower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Although there is (?was) a dental hossie at Denmark Hill, the main student appointment place is up in Guy's Tower.
    Essentially what I meant, thought the main student dentistry was at Guy's. No idea about KCH to be honest, but unlikely it will be for free student services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Maybe I'm biased because we aren't allowed to practice procedures (even venflons) on each other, but I don't think I'd trust another student to do anything to me...
    Really? We do everything on each other! Ok exaggeration.. but injections & bloods so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Do you know any of the evidence-based manoeuvres? Better yet, how about science-based.

There's little point talking about 'my boyfriend's best friend's mother' (lol, really?), as these are anecdotal cases. Overall, there is little to no good evidence of efficacy for chiro and acupuncture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    one of my wisdom teech really hurts, I'm thinking of getting it extracted. Might go over to Kings and let a student dentist do it - free and cba to find a nhs dentist...Good plan or not??
    I'd do it yeah. Moneyyss, you'd still have to pay at NHS I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Yeah I know dude - I'm sat here reading endless studies at the moment - so I'm getting pretty good at seeing whether a treatment works well - but equally it's quite easy to get the pitch forks out on everything.

I think we need a list of CAM that are possible useful and those that are not :p:

e.g.
    Useless:
    Homeopathy
    Colonic irrigation :p:

Potentially useful even if just by placebo effect:
    Acupuncture
    Yoga

etc.

I got into a big argument with my aunty the other day as she's convinced homeopathic medicines have stopped her being allergic to things - and that all western medicine is evil :/ (She's on my English side of the family as well! )
    If it were any other drug or therapy, and it was only as good as placebo, then that would be a completely ineffective FAILED drug. The end. Just because it's acupuncture/chiro or any other quack remedy, does not change this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Ah thought that may have been the case. I thought that Osteopaths were also into treating all manner of things with manipulation - not only muslcle/joint problems. But then that could be down to lack of quality control and consistency between practioners. I must say I remain completely skeptical about it.

I dunno about that - I thought that was more chiropracters' thing. But I've only spent one day with an osteopath (for "Preparing for Patients" coursework) plus a couple of appointments of my own, so I'm hardly an expert. And I'm not crazy enough to see one for anything non-musculoskeletal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Really? We do everything on each other! Ok exaggeration.. but injections & bloods so far.
    I don't believe we have a license for blood to be let in our clinical skills building. Oh, the irony.

I wouldn't want other students practising on me tho - I get nervous enough when it's a fully qualified phleb who's been doing it for 20 years!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I don't believe we have a license for blood to be let in our clinical skills building. Oh, the irony.

I wouldn't want other students practising on me tho - I get nervous enough when it's a fully qualified phleb who's been doing it for 20 years!
    I don't want people practising on me, just cause all the blood donation people have to call in their supervisor people to stick me cause my veins are all small and rubbish, and some of them are too close to my artery to be used :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.