Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Forgive me if this question is dumb, as I know nothing about him... But is Sanogo considered a 'top' player???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Typical Wenger signing. Young player with raw attributes on a cheap transfer. He won't be our "Top" striker signing this season so no panic at all. Excited to see his development at the club though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CptHooke)
    Is it Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre? Seen that article a lot today. Mind we get linked with everyone, some of my personal favourites are Buffon, Casillas, Tevez and Owen.
    its not Sanogo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    its not Sanogo
    Hmmm, interesting.

ReputationRep:
    We better sign some ****king players lads, and a top player ffs do not want ligue 2 players we are in desperate times, desperate times call for desperate measures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    We better sign some ****king players lads, and a top player ffs do not want ligue 2 players we are in desperate times, desperate times call for desperate measures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    lol I don't think Wenger's bringing in this Sanogo kid to strengthen the starting XI. He's obviously got some potential and worse case scenario is that he's trained up to a decentish standard and sold for a couple of million profit to a Sunderland/Fulham type club.

ReputationRep:
    If Arsene reckons a young French player has the minerals, then for a free transfer and minimal wages Ill trust him. Of course hes not a hollywood signing but he also doesnt eat into our budget. How many times have we been astonished at Wenger's ability to bring unknown players through to the top level?

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe there might actually be a playoff for 3rd ****ing place, guarantee if it does happen they will change the rules the day after to make it go on head to head from then on. Normally I can't stand not going to a game but going to Birmingham to watch us play Chelsea for 3rd place as if it is some sort of cup final and as if whoever loses won't piss the qualifiers anyway is one I will definitely give a wide berth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Can't believe there might actually be a playoff for 3rd ****ing place, guarantee if it does happen they will change the rules the day after to make it go on head to head from then on. Normally I can't stand not going to a game but going to Birmingham to watch us play Chelsea for 3rd place as if it is some sort of cup final and as if whoever loses won't piss the qualifiers anyway is one I will definitely give a wide berth
    The board would probably want us to lose that play off game or finish 4th because it means more TV and match day revenue from the qualifiers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    yeah its a proper piss take. Havent spoken to a gooner yet who doesnt admit CFC should get it as they did us home and away.

Its not even like its for a place in the CL as both teams will go in in some form or another anyway. Still, might be tempted to go tbh. Not because its a 'cup final' but because its against Chelsea and could be a good test match with both teams playing with relatively little to lose.

ReputationRep:
    The board would probably want us to lose that play off game or finish 4th because it means more TV and match day revenue from the qualifiers.
    But you get quite a bit more money from finishing 3rd rather than 4th. I can't remember how much more exactly but it's not as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    But you get quite a bit more money from finishing 3rd rather than 4th. I can't remember how much more exactly but it's not as simple as that.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...13-season.html

ReputationRep:
    You get more money for the league finish but the top 4 also get different amounts from the TV pool for the champions league for finishing higher.

Think 1st get 40%, 2nd gets 30%, 3rd gets 20% and 4th get 10% so it actually adds up.

ReputationRep:
    Who would want to risk a guaranteed 30m for the chance to make an extra 2m?

ReputationRep:
    I was out of football for a few years and came back to it last season really so some of what I'm about to say is based off what I've heard.

As much as I love Giroud, his first season in the EPL has been average. Most people seem to think it takes a season of acclimatisation to get used to the league and he'll get better as a result - which I'm not going to deny, a season's experience will be good. How good do you guys think he'll realistically get though?

I saw someone say recently make comparisons to Koscielny & Mertesacker in terms of how they improved. Thing is, Koscielny buffed up which allowed him to deal with the physicality of the league better whilst I feel Mertesacker was harshly criticised (and still is, for that matter) but all he really required was to gel with the rest of the defence, where the personnel rarely stayed the same.

What exactly can Giroud do to improve on his first season? He can't buff up like Bosscielny as his physical attributes are already there. I have a feeling he'll stagnate like Gervinho has if we bring in someone else unless his finishing improves massively. But, on the other hand, his first season has similar stats to Drogba's first season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    I was out of football for a few years and came back to it last season really so some of what I'm about to say is based off what I've heard.

As much as I love Giroud, his first season in the EPL has been average. Most people seem to think it takes a season of acclimatisation to get used to the league and he'll get better as a result - which I'm not going to deny, a season's experience will be good. How good do you guys think he'll realistically get though?

I saw someone say recently make comparisons to Koscielny & Mertesacker in terms of how they improved. Thing is, Koscielny buffed up which allowed him to deal with the physicality of the league better whilst I feel Mertesacker was harshly criticised (and still is, for that matter) but all he really required was to gel with the rest of the defence, where the personnel rarely stayed the same.

What exactly can Giroud do to improve on his first season? He can't buff up like Bosscielny as his physical attributes are already there. I have a feeling he'll stagnate like Gervinho has if we bring in someone else unless his finishing improves massively. But, on the other hand, his first season has similar stats to Drogba's first season.
    Agree with the general jist of the post. Although regarding Giroud, his all round game is generally pretty good with solid link-up play, good movement etc. Finishing is his real weak spot and we could put him on shooting practice over the summer. I think if we persist with him, he has the potential to get 20 goals next season. Just a feeling I have. And you can see the difference between Podolski and Giroud when they play up front, all the chances Giroud has missed this season have been poor but he gets himself into the positions, while Podolski is not best suited to play up front as he doesn't really have good movement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Agree with the general jist of the post. Although regarding Giroud, his all round game is generally pretty good with solid link-up play, good movement etc. Finishing is his real weak spot and we could put him on shooting practice over the summer. I think if we persist with him, he has the potential to get 20 goals next season. Just a feeling I have. And you can see the difference between Podolski and Giroud when they play up front, all the chances Giroud has missed this season have been poor but he gets himself into the positions, while Podolski is not best suited to play up front as he doesn't really have good movement.
    tbh in terms of getting into scoring postions, gervinho is the best, then giroud, then podolski. But if they did get a chance, the ones I would trust most to put in the back of the net would be in reverse order

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't understand some Arsenal fans. Acting as if Wenger's said "Sanogo will be our only signing this summer, Arsenal is officially now closed for the rest of the summer transfer window". I'm not going to pretend i know f all about Sanogo, but what I do know is:

1. He represents France U21s, one of the most promising and exciting U21s team European-wise at the moment
    2. A French journalist who's opinion I hold in high regard (Robin Bairner - very clued up with Ligue 1 and 2 teams, transfers and players) wrote a glowing report on him
    3. He does have an injury record, however look at his goalscoring stats and various journalist reports he's been great (the words 'exciting but still very raw' come up a lot by journos) whenever he has played
    4. He's free

So to the people complaining - I had no idea you all watch Auxerre matches so regularly to be able to judge him as rubbish already. Weird!

You have to wonder whether these same people would complain if Sanogo was bought on a free by any other PL team that Wenger is an idiot for was missing out on a promoising, young, free player.

Every teams support has its fair share of moaners but I swear with Arsenals support its just a ridiculous amount. Truly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Honestly don't understand some Arsenal fans. Acting as if Wenger's said "Sanogo will be our only signing this summer, Arsenal is officially now closed for the rest of the summer transfer window". I'm not going to pretend i know f all about Sanogo, but what I do know is:

1. He represents France U21s, one of the most promising and exciting U21s team European-wise at the moment
    2. A French journalist who's opinion I hold in high regard (Robin Bairner - very clued up with Ligue 1 and 2 teams, transfers and players) wrote a glowing report on him
    3. He does have an injury record, however look at his goalscoring stats and various journalist reports he's been great (the words 'exciting but still very raw' come up a lot by journos) whenever he has played
    4. He's free

So to the people complaining - I had no idea you all watch Auxerre matches so regularly to be able to judge him as rubbish already. Weird!

You have to wonder whether these same people would complain if Sanogo was bought on a free by any other PL team that Wenger is an idiot for was missing out on a promoising, young, free player.

Every teams support has its fair share of moaners but I swear with Arsenals support its just a ridiculous amount. Truly ridiculous.
    I'm definitely not complaining

Young and has good potential - if it works out great!, if it doesn't then does it really matter seeing how little he cost?

I personally think he could be a fantastic player for us but what worries me are his injuries

(Original post by glousck)

4. He's free

:ditto: Great post. I have no idea why some people are getting so worked up (thought this isn't really directed at people on here, I think the reaction here has been much more reasonable than some other places ).

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.