Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Ugh, I just found out between 1-5th of December, I do mock exams for every subject. Not to mention my Biology ISAs on the 9th of December as well as my Computing coursework which needs to be handed in by the end of term (The 16th of December..?). This will be a long month .
    That's what this week has been for me - hell! Make sure you make an effort to relax inbetween

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quintessentially)
    What makes language A levels so terrible? Personally, I'm really looking forward to studying Spanish at A level.
    The jump is massive
    There is a massive amount of grammar to learn
    There is a massive amount of vocab to learn
    It's 100% exam
    For the speaking exam you have to speak fluently for 20 mins with no idea what the questions are before hand
    The essay section of the exam is marked stupidly
    The exam is stupid
    The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    The jump is massive
    It's 100% exam
    For the speaking exam you have to speak fluently for 20 mins with no idea what the questions are before hand
    The exam is stupid
    The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't go and completely scare someone out of doing an A-Level they want to do. + I saw on a thread that you said you AS French last year so the jump probably would have seemed even bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    I wouldn't go and completely scare someone out of doing an A-Level they want to do. + I saw on a thread that you said you AS French last year so the jump probably would have seemed even bigger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I sat the gcse exam everyone sits at the end of year 11 at the end of year 9. I could deal with that. Essentially I made the same jump as it was still GCSE -> AS.

All I'm going to say is that there was a French girl in my class. She got the highest grade. It was a C.

I'm giving my opinion - AS French was a waste of time and effort and something like RS would be a lot more manageable, espescially as the person in question has already said they enjoy it more.

My advice = in my experience, A Level languages are a waste of time and effort unless you want to do a degree in languages. They are too hard to be considered a viable 4th option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The jump is massive
    It's 100% exam
    The exam is stupid
    The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That actually doesn't sound too horrendous as far as I'm concerned (apart from the speaking part - I'd struggle to know what to say to answer questions in English for twenty minutes, let alone Spanish :/)

The grammar and vocabulary stuff I don't mind though.

I've already studied the majority of the AS grammar stuff by myself beforehand - my dad used to study Spanish so he has lots of old books and I had to teach more advanced grammar structures to myself in order to be able to read them, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult.

I want to study languages at university, so for me it's kind of a necessity regardless of whether or not the content seems somewhat worthless.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That actually doesn't sound too horrendous as far as I'm concerned (apart from the speaking part - I'd struggle to know what to say to answer questions in English for twenty minutes, let alone Spanish :/)

The grammar and vocabulary stuff I don't mind though.

I've already studied the majority of the AS grammar stuff by myself beforehand - my dad used to study Spanish so he has lots of old books and I had to teach more advanced grammar structures to myself in order to be able to read them, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult.
    The speaking they ask you really awful questions too. For example:

'How do you feel about Same-sex parenting in modern day society?'

You now have about 3 seconds to answer this fluently in a response that last about 2-3 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The speaking they ask you really awful questions too. For example:

'How do you feel about Same-sex parenting in modern day society?'

You now have about 3 seconds to answer this fluently in a response that last about 2-3 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, at least it's more interesting than 'What is your opinion of your bedroom'.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Well, at least it's more interesting than 'What is your opinion of your bedroom'.
    Yeah but when it's thrust on you and you have to answer fluently whilst using enough tenses, vocab and structure fluently with no prep you'd rather be asked about something you can bull**** your way through

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I sat the gcse exam everyone sits at the end of year 11 at the end of year 9. I could deal with that. Essentially I made the same jump as it was still GCSE -> AS.

All I'm going to say is that there was a French girl in my class. She got the highest grade. It was a C.

I'm giving my opinion - AS French was a waste of time and effort and something like RS would be a lot more manageable, espescially as the person in question has already said they enjoy it more.

My advice = in my experience, A Level languages are a waste of time and effort unless you want to do a degree in languages. They are too hard to be considered a viable 4th option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay that's fine. It doesn't matter so much though... You were in Y10 about to undertake an A-Level I still think that unless you're fluent you still would have felt that jump.

Tbh it doesn't sound like you're giving real reasons for not doing A-Level French. You're just blaming the subject. Did you guys evaluate yourself or what you did to see why you got the grade you did?

I mean, you have to expect it to be difficult. It's a language and an A-Level too! Language learning isn't useless... You can gain so much from learning one. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've already put French as an A level option, it's my favourite subject and I'm willing to give it all I've got

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Okay that's fine. It doesn't matter so much though... You were in Y10 about to undertake an A-Level I still think that unless you're fluent you still would have felt that jump.

Tbh it doesn't sound like you're giving real reasons for not doing A-Level French. You're just blaming the subject. Did you guys evaluate yourself or what you did to see why you got the grade you did?

I mean, you have to expect it to be difficult. It's a language and an A-Level too! Language learning isn't useless... You can gain so much from learning one. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the hardest A Level. I failed because I literally didn't have the time to spend 2-3 hours learning French with all my other GCSEs to balance.

It is something you should only take if you want to dedicate the next two years of your life to, it will make your other subjects suffer. It's not something you should take if grades matter to you because it's fairly impossible to succeed unless you are fluent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's the hardest A Level. I failed because I literally didn't have the time to spend 2-3 hours learning French with all my other GCSEs to balance.

It is something you should only take if you want to dedicate the next two years of your life to, it will make your other subjects suffer. It's not something you should take if grades matter to you because it's fairly impossible to succeed unless you are fluent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've only done 1 AS though. You can't compare it unless you've done every single one; some people will so things easier than others.

Exactly, only take it if you want to... Like any other subject. You did an AS. Imagine those who do 4 or even 5? You have to think about them. You even said yourself that you didn't spend as much time on it as you wished? I'm sure there are lots of ex A-level students who will be begging to differ here about having to be fluent.

+
    Yeah but when it's thrust on you and you have to answer fluently whilst using enough tenses, vocab and structure fluently with no prep you'd rather be asked about something you can bull**** your way through

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you expect? You can talk your way through GCSE Languages. AS and A-Level will obviously not be as easy. A-Level Language students are supposed to be pretty much fluent by the end of the courses as well. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've only done 1 AS though. You can't compare it unless you've done every single one; some people will so things easier than others.

Exactly, only take it if you want to... Like any other subject. You did an AS. Imagine those who do 4 or even 5? You have to think about them. You even said yourself that you didn't spend as much time on it as you wished? I'm sure there are lots of ex A-level students who will be begging to differ here about having to be fluent.

+

What do you expect? You can talk your way through GCSE Languages. AS and A-Level will obviously not be as easy. A-Level Language students are supposed to be pretty much fluent by the end of the courses as well. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that taking a levels in year 10 is too young. You're much more mature and able to manage to your time, at least in my opinion, when you're 17/18 compared to 14/15.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

+

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing AS Maths right now so two :3. And I'm talking from our Sixth Forms pass rates, peoples experiences also. You have done none so you can hardly have an opinion on something you have absolutely no experience of.

You do realise you are proving my point. It is HARD. That is my point. It is so hard it not worth doing unless you are 100% dedicated to it which the person I was actually trying to help wasn't. They were only taking it because they were getting higher grades than they were in RS. If you'd bothered to read their post you'd see that they didn't actually enjoy the bloody language.

My point is not that it should be easy. It is that IT IS stupidly hard. And that is somrthing that needs to be kept in mind. You will not do as well in French for 2 hours of work put in as you would for something like Maths. It is like an energy vacumn.

You know more than a quarter of the French students at my sixth form were actually having panic attacks/depression. One girl dropped out of sixth form because of it. It is a drain on your very existence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo98)
    I've already put French as an A level option, it's my favourite subject and I'm willing to give it all I've got

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's great not to be the only one.

I was starting to think I was crazy for having Spanish as my favourite subject, considering that everybody I know who takes either Spanish or French absolutely hates it.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Steliata)
    I'm scared about next year.

I know there's GCSEs to do first and stuff but it sounds like my boyfriend is going to college while I'm staying at sixth form.

Now this wouldn't be a problem in any other persons life, but I row. This takes up a considerable amount of time (Monday, Wednesday, Friday after school until 6, 1-4 Saturdays and Sundays, excluding competitions). This has meant that this year most of the time I have spent with my boyfriend has been at school as it's really hard to organise stuff outside school due to rowing and stuff he does.

I'm worried that next year a combination of rowing, the extra workload and him going to college will mean that I will hardly be able to see him. This makes me feel sad because I really do love him and I love spending time with him. I love rowing and don't want to give it up but I also don't want to give him up... Have any of you got any advice? If you have I would love to hear it. Thank you in advance.
    I think that you are doing the very right thing in not wanting to give up rowing - I wouldn't give it up if you're that dedicated to it, it'd be a shame to do so. I don't think that you have to give him up either, though...you could try building times around your work schedule where you could arrange to meet up with him. If you can't necessarily meet up with him on some days, you could instead make time in your day to talk to him via FB or Skype or something instead.

Have you tried speaking to him about your concerns? You can both come up with some sort of plan of action for next year that way but I wouldn't stress *too* much about it yet, there's still time to think about it. For now, maybe just speak to him to get some reassurance that it'll all be OK or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I think that you are doing the very right thing in not wanting to give up rowing - I wouldn't give it up if you're that dedicated to it, it'd be a shame to do so. I don't think that you have to give him up either, though...you could try building times around your work schedule where you could arrange to meet up with him. If you can't necessarily meet up with him on some days, you could instead make time in your day to talk to him via FB or Skype or something instead.

Have you tried speaking to him about your concerns? You can both come up with some sort of plan of action for next year that way but I wouldn't stress *too* much about it yet, there's still time to think about it. For now, maybe just speak to him to get some reassurance that it'll all be OK or something.
    Thank you. Yes, I have spoken about it with him (at great length lol) and we've both said we're concerned about it, but we'll get through it - it's not like we'd break up because of it (how silly) so there's no need to worry. Basically we're going to make the most of this year (especially summer lol) and then see where post 16 takes us in terms of seeing each other. We'll make a plan nearer the time.

Thanks again. I think I was just tired and taken by surprise, but I do appreciate the help

ReputationRep:

I was starting to think I was crazy for having Spanish as my favourite subject, considering that everybody I know who takes either Spanish or French absolutely hates it.
    Only one way to find out how it is for yourself

ReputationRep:

Well I'm thinking of taking Chinese for A level so I'm truly crazy lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm doing AS Maths right now so two :3. And I'm talking from our Sixth Forms pass rates, peoples experiences also. You have done none so you can hardly have an opinion on something you have absolutely no experience of.

You do realise you are proving my point. It is HARD. That is my point. It is so hard it not worth doing unless you are 100% dedicated to it which the person I was actually trying to help wasn't. They were only taking it because they were getting higher grades than they were in RS. If you'd bothered to read their post you'd see that they didn't actually enjoy the bloody language.

My point is not that it should be easy. It is that IT IS stupidly hard. And that is somrthing that needs to be kept in mind. You will not do as well in French for 2 hours of work put in as you would for something like Maths. It is like an energy vacumn.

You know more than a quarter of the French students at my sixth form were actually having panic attacks/depression. I started cutting myself. So did another girl. One girl dropped out of sixth form because of it. It is a drain on your very existence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know but you can't either. You just stated- "It's the hardest A-Level" <- How do you know that? You personally haven't done all the A-Levels to be able to say that... nor has anyone else. You haven't done at least 3/4, which is what people normally do.

Yes, I know. I was agreeing with you at that point but then you said- "It's fairly impossible to succeed unless you are fluent" <- Says who? ... And if you bothered to read my response you'd understand that I was talking about how you were 'bashing' A-Level French... Not about the other person other person. I thought that there should be an outline of positives and negatives. "Language A-Levels are terrible". :erm:

Why is it stupidly hard in your opinion? (: I don't think you can compare a language to Maths in this respect.

Well I'm genuinely sorry for hearing that, I hope you and the other French students are fine now. I'm not trying to 'attack' you. I was wondering about how you described AS French (like I said above).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.