The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=NilaJ;56744079]40=A
Then 100% UMS was around 50-53 or so.

Hope this year is similar, I think I got about 49-52 and I want an a*
Reply 2481
Original post by em_mahoney
Exactly! I didn't realise under the topics Communication, Homeostasis or Energy you needed to know what a mother****ing range bar was. OCR have a duty to test us on the **** that's in the syllabus, and so much of that didn't need biological knowledge. OCR should be embarrassed that they can't even write a paper based on the stuff it's supposed to be. **** them.

was it range?
Was the answer 93 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hamza3256
What cells make red blood cell and the location.

I wrote kupffer cells; location: liver
Kupffer cells recycle red blood cells
for tthe why the insulin kept releasing, i said something about positive feedback?! how it amplifies it or something idk
Original post by tory_lee_x
exactly what I was saying to my mum all the way home!!!

it's so annoying we revised for hours and hours and they don't even test us on what we're supposed to learn!! this was the only exam i thought i was prepared for :frown: im so done

Kupdfer cells breaks down red vlood cells
And liver makes fetus red blood cell

I put stem cells and bone marrow
Reply 2487
Original post by Jesspecially4u
I completely agree with you! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be quite low as I think most people share the same opinion. The dialysis question stumped me completely. Also my general knowledge isn't great so I completely forgot where red blood cells were made! :frown:

Thats not even in F214, and I don't think that its in AS in a big way either, thats just a biology thing, how were we supposed to know it would come up! Luckily I knew about the bone marrow from other reading but still it was really unfair even if it was only 1 mark.

How he'll was I suppose to know that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Red blood cells are made in the bone marrow
Original post by Hilton184
What did they actually want for the neurone similarities in structure question?
Writing

Both have cell body
Both have dendrites
Both have axon
Both can be myelinated (Schwann cells surround axon and secrete myelin)
Both have voltage gated sodium ion channels/sodium-potassium ion pump embedded in plasma membrane

Seems to easy, especially the first 3 points, but what else can you really write at all?

Long answer ATP in aerobic and anaerobic respiration:

In anaerobic respiration, there is a lower yield of ATP as only glycolysis can occur, hence only net 2 ATP molecules produced per glucose molecule. This is because there is no oxygen to act as the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain. Hence oxidative phosphorylation, Krebs Cycle and Link reaction do not occur.

I then basically talked about the reverse process for aerobic respiration, but basically just 'ora' so no extra points really made.

Would this get the majority of the marks/all marks? What did they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same for anaerobic respiration, there wasn't much more to mention :s-smilie:
Argh completely forgot about the voltage gated channels and myelinated, would I just get three marks for mentioning, axon, dendrites and cell body?
For the question on why dextrose is added to the dialysis fluid, was the answer to reduce its water potential so that its isotonic with the blood and prevent haemolysis?
Mineralocortcoids... is that cortex or adrenal cortex. Is cortex ok?
Original post by annnnnnnn

Kupffer cells recycle red blood cells

its stem cells and bone marrow, its unit 1 really
Reply 2494
Original post by AsianBeauty
Was the answer 93 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah and you had to round it to 93.
Original post by kewla1
for tthe why the insulin kept releasing, i said something about positive feedback?! how it amplifies it or something idk

i said positive feedback too! total guess
Original post by kewla1

Yh I wrote positive feedback and something else

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote that then changed it to stem cells; bone marrow right at the end. Kupffer cells break them down, not make them.

stem cells in the bone marrow
[QUOTE=NilaJ;56744243]We all wasted a lot of time learning an awful lot of content that they didn't seem to care one bit about. Nothing on any actual biology! Though apparently F211 was like this, and I redid F212 and I can tell you it was all pretty straightforward and recall, so hopefully F215 will make up for it! Last year it was 63=A and 78/79= 100%UMS at an approximation!
Last years paper was soooo nice compared to this one too! Less worried now because I'm pretty sure the grade boundaries will be very low. Wonder what f215 will be like? T_T

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending