The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skkc16
Oh please. This has nothing to do with Mauresmo. Murray won a few tournaments these past few weeks but the only tough opponents he had were Ferrer and Robredo and most of his wins weren't even convincing.
It's all about confidence and self belief atm and as soon as Murray got broken in the 2nd game you could see him lose it all in an instant. It doesn't help that he couldn't find his first serve as well. Nothing a coach can do about that

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want that confidence back for 2015. Murray is much better than this - he has ended up delivering the worst performance I have seen from any top player this year.
Like I said a few months ago, the off-season will do him good.
Original post by Skkc16
Love how all the equal pay detractors have been silenced by this tournament. The top 8 guys currently (minus Nadal) and all the matches have been sub par straight setters and most haven't lasted an hour. If this had been a women's tournament we would've had them shouting over the rooftops about how women don't deserve to be paid as much

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've not "suddenly" been silenced, nor has the argument lost any credibility. Men's tennis is generally much better than Women's tennis.
Original post by Skkc16
Love how all the equal pay detractors have been silenced by this tournament. The top 8 guys currently (minus Nadal) and all the matches have been sub par straight setters and most haven't lasted an hour. If this had been a women's tournament we would've had them shouting over the rooftops about how women don't deserve to be paid as much

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is actually largely irrelevant.

Does the end of year WTA finals attract the same level of viewers, sponsorship, ticket sales etc as the ATP World Tour Finals?
Original post by Krish4791
I really want that confidence back for 2015. Murray is much better than this - he has ended up delivering the worst performance I have seen from any top player this year.
Like I said a few months ago, the off-season will do him good.

True. I remember Mauresmo saying they weren't going to work on his 2nd serve but they definitely need to rethink that. His second serve sometimes is just as bad as Errani's Hopefully he manages to get in the top 4 before the Australian Open (is that possible?).
Wasn't that after the 2013 AO semifinal? lol poor Andrew Castle :smile: Murray played one of the matches of his life that day.
I really feel bad for him and desperately hope he can get back on track for 2015, I have him down as returning to the Top 4 for a bit.

As for Fed, not much to say really. Federer fans have had lots of ups and downs (mostly downs last year), but I think we will all remember these 5 regal performances:

6-0, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
2-6, 6-2, 6-0
6-3, 6-0
6-0, 7-6

and now: 6-0, 6-1.

Yes. Well remembered. I think Murray will still remain as one of the top players but if I'm going to be honest I think his best days are behind him. He may prove me wrong though.

Hmm... without using Google I think:

vs. Djokovic RG 2011 semi-final

Don't know

vs. Nadal RR WTF 2012

vs. Djokovic Cincinnati 2012

How did I do? :smile:
Final Nole Vs Fed :
6-7 7-5 3-6
Original post by Ashnard
Yes. Well remembered. I think Murray will still remain as one of the top players but if I'm going to be honest I think his best days are behind him. He may prove me wrong though.

Don't know

vs. Nadal RR WTF 2012

I think the first might be Wimbledon 06?

As for Fed, not much to say really. Federer fans have had lots of ups and downs (mostly downs last year), but I think we will all remember these 5 regal performances:

6-0, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
2-6, 6-2, 6-0
6-3, 6-0
6-0, 7-6

and now: 6-0, 6-1.

Wimbledon 2006
Hamburg 2007
WTF 2011
Cincinnati 2012
WTF 2014
Original post by Ashnard

Don't know

vs. Nadal RR WTF 2012

Oh dear! :biggrin:
Badshah is a true fan - he has all the answers (first 3 against Nadal, then the one against Novak)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Djokovic secures the number 1 spot.

Look at this for big 3 dominance..

04: Federer (runner up Roddick)
05: Federer (runner up Nadal)
06: Federer (runner up Nadal)
07: Federer (runner up Nadal)
08: Nadal (runner up Federer)
09: Federer (runner up Nadal)
10: Nadal (runner up Federer)
11: Djokovic (runner up Nadal)
12: Djokovic (runner up Federer)
13: Nadal (runner up Djokovic)
14: Djokovic (runner up Federer)
Original post by Rakas21

I see the Big 3 dominating for at least another 2 years before their grip starts to loosen. Federer's proven to himself and everyone else that he can stay consistent for some time to come and I don't see Djokovic and Nadal dropping their levels enough to be ranked outside the top 3 anytime soon
Semi finals set.

Federer vs Wawrinka
Djokovic vs Nishikori

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't want to keep beating on about this (or do I) but that was every group stage prediction right by me.

Not been a great tournament at all, really hoping that at least one of the matches tomorrow catches fire.
Original post by Rakas21

What was 2003 year ending ranking top 3? Was it Roddick as No.1?
Original post by Rkai01
What was 2003 year ending ranking top 3? Was it Roddick as No.1?

I think so as Federer took the number 1 at Ausi 04 and was ranked about 5th when he won Wimbledon. Even if he'd won the French Nadal would have only finished top 20 In 04 I think.
Original post by lizzy95
I see the Big 3 dominating for at least another 2 years before their grip starts to loosen. Federer's proven to himself and everyone else that he can stay consistent for some time to come and I don't see Djokovic and Nadal dropping their levels enough to be ranked outside the top 3 anytime soon

Well I'm still confident that Del Potro will be the one to dethrone them, 2016 is probably about right.
Original post by Rakas21
Well I'm still confident that Del Potro will be the one to dethrone them, 2016 is probably about right.

Del Potro is still around 24/5 right? yet he's been around forever it seems.
If only he didn't get injured, he was 4 I think in 2010 so could've been the force!
Original post by Rkai01
Del Potro is still around 24/5 right? yet he's been around forever it seems.
If only he didn't get injured, he was 4 I think in 2010 so could've been the force!

Only a year younger but his game is much less athletic and easier on everything but the wrists. At the same time the young guns are only 3/4 years younger than Djokovic ECT.. Nikishori can match him at the baseline and Raonic on serve but none can combine the two like him and then of course Del Potro's forehand is breathtaking. I just don't see how any of them will match him once Nadal and Djokovic can no longer sustain 6 hour marathons.
yes Nishikori come on, deciding set :teeth:
Oh wow, Nikishori actually got it back.

Quick Reply

Latest