The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I have passed the FSAC in round 1 and had my first chat with the department last week. I expected to get to know more details about the contract, etc. but we ended up talking mostly about the job itself, as the people were high level managers and seemed to be there to answer my questions about the position, but not that much about the contract itself. I was also told that I couldn't sign the contract before I graduated and proved I had a 2.1 degree.
As a result, I still do not know the salary or other details - how did people find this out? Did it come up during the first chat with the department or did you contact HR? Any info would be much appreciated!
I'm getting very impatient to find out my placement - or at least the city I'll be in!
Original post by JimsFortis
Just heard that I've made it through to DS FSB!

Congrats! When is the FSB for that stream?
Original post by PJ07
Congratulations! I just heard I made it as well :smile:

Congrats!
Original post by GManTheGMan
Sorry, I meant last year.

I was surprised at just how much information there was in the candidate guide. We were told almost everything - what each exercise would consist of, and which competencies would be tested at each stage. We obviously didn't know the exact topics until we got in there but there was certainly a great deal of help on what to prepare.
Original post by keksainis
Hi, I have passed the FSAC in round 1 and had my first chat with the department last week. I expected to get to know more details about the contract, etc. but we ended up talking mostly about the job itself, as the people were high level managers and seemed to be there to answer my questions about the position, but not that much about the contract itself. I was also told that I couldn't sign the contract before I graduated and proved I had a 2.1 degree.
As a result, I still do not know the salary or other details - how did people find this out? Did it come up during the first chat with the department or did you contact HR? Any info would be much appreciated!

I don't have your answer I'm afraid but I'm also curious about this - if you wouldn't mind letting us know when you find out that'd be appreciated! I passed FSAC for HR a few weeks ago and am just finishing the pre-appointment checks so I don't have a department or location yet. The wait is rather frustrating but I know it'll be worth it in the end!
Original post by grownupfrog
I was surprised at just how much information there was in the candidate guide. We were told almost everything - what each exercise would consist of, and which competencies would be tested at each stage. We obviously didn't know the exact topics until we got in there but there was certainly a great deal of help on what to prepare.

Yeah, same for FSAC but not as much for the DaT FSB. That said, I wasn't too concerned.
Has anyone for the NI stream heard anything? I assume they would at least do the automatic rejections for those who've scored less than 2 in any competency?! It feels like the entire stream is amber.

Given that you already know your assigned Department - I'm assuming that you are an analytical fast streamer?
While you won't be able to sign your contract until you graduate, you should receive an offer letter at some point - which will confirm Department and salary on offer. Note that the salary is fixed for most fast stream schemes but not for HR and analytical schemes where it is driven by the Department. Further, analytical fast streamers (and economists) sometimes get an allowance for any relevant postgraduate qualifications which they might already hold.
Reply 2506
Ugh still amber band for CD, it's been nearly two months and I'm desperately hoping for some news this week!
Original post by sempitern
Given that you already know your assigned Department - I'm assuming that you are an analytical fast streamer?
While you won't be able to sign your contract until you graduate, you should receive an offer letter at some point - which will confirm Department and salary on offer. Note that the salary is fixed for most fast stream schemes but not for HR and analytical schemes where it is driven by the Department. Further, analytical fast streamers (and economists) sometimes get an allowance for any relevant postgraduate qualifications which they might already hold.

Thank you for the response! Yes, I'm an analytical fast streamer. I've heard about the allowances but unfortunately I don't hold any postgraduate qualifications - although they mentioned it is possible to get funding if I wanted to pursue Masters. I guess I'll wait a week or so for the offer letter and if I don't receive anything, email HR. Thanks again!
Has anyone claimed back the money for the assessment centre yet?
I've done mine and sent everything off and it says they've been approved, however I have yet to actually get any money back? Anyone have any experience with how long this takes? :smile:

Thanks
Thank you for the response! Yes, I'm an analytical fast streamer. I've heard about the allowances but unfortunately I don't hold any postgraduate qualifications - although they mentioned it is possible to get funding if I wanted to pursue Masters. I guess I'll wait a week or so for the offer letter and if I don't receive anything, email HR. Thanks again!

Anytime.
I don't want to get your hopes up too much but there's a strong likelihood that you might make a tiny bit more money than the standard fast stream salary. Most analytical fast streamers I meet tend to get the HEO grade salary plus an allowance if they have postgrad qualifications. As I said, this isn't written in stone or anything. And like you say, you will likely receive support in the future towards studying a master's level qualification. That in itself is very helpful given that the cost of postgraduate study has risen so much. If you study part-time, you might be given some study time too which is vital if you are studying alongside a full time job.
Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
Has anyone claimed back the money for the assessment centre yet?
I've done mine and sent everything off and it says they've been approved, however I have yet to actually get any money back? Anyone have any experience with how long this takes? :smile:

Thanks

Mine said approved for a few days before I saw the money credit my account. If that helps!
Original post by PJ07
Congratulations! I just heard I made it as well :smile:

Original post by JimsFortis
Just heard that I've made it through to DS FSB!

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing what your score was?
Hi,

I've just applied to the Civil Service Fast Stream Commercial pathway, and when asked my degree qualification, I put a first. I have a Distinction level in my Masters degree, this is the equivalent of a first at undergraduate yes?

Looks like a great scheme so hope my application goes smoothly!
Reply 2513

You do get allowances for relevant post-graduate qualifications and years of prior experience. I am on the GSS stream and have received my offer letter etc. The base salary for all fast stream (analysts included) is £27,500 this year. I have been offered allowances for my Ph.D. and each year of my post-doctoral research. They are pretty generous, but I don't want to give specific figures in case there are differences between departments and streams.

In order to get the allowances approved my (soon to be) line manager had to make an application to the HR team giving evidence. The qualification/experience has to be relevant to the department (but not necessarily your immediate team) in order to qualify. Hope this is useful.
Reply 2514
Now, 'Awaiting Results' - not confident !
Original post by justmarv
Has anyone for the NI stream heard anything? I assume they would at least do the automatic rejections for those who've scored less than 2 in any competency?! It feels like the entire stream is amber.

As under 2 is an automatic fail for any stream, I would imagine those candidates have already been rejected. The rest (like myself) are in limbo, no doubt until the NICS decide how to fudge the 'no jobs' issue, probably via the production of a long list which will immediately be sent into deep freeze.
Attending the HR assessment centre on Thurs! Any top tips? Really worried about the long intense day!!
Original post by ERAYLANKESTER
As under 2 is an automatic fail for any stream, I would imagine those candidates have already been rejected. The rest (like myself) are in limbo, no doubt until the NICS decide how to fudge the 'no jobs' issue, probably via the production of a long list which will immediately be sent into deep freeze.

I was convinced I'd be an automatic fail based on a poor interview. It's now been a week since my FSAC, so I'm guessing I'm in limbo too. I'm sure you're right that they're holding back because of the post-embargo because I've heard before that people generally find out the results for the NI stream mid-March. I emailed Parity today asking for clarification, so hopefully they get back to me soon. Maybe because applications were open before they announced the embargo they will honour it? Or is the general consensus that there will be a list?
Reply 2518
Attended FSAC last Thu (12th March) and just got a message this morning confirming that I've been accepted to CD Generalist! So happy.
Original post by justmarv
I was convinced I'd be an automatic fail based on a poor interview. It's now been a week since my FSAC, so I'm guessing I'm in limbo too. I'm sure you're right that they're holding back because of the post-embargo because I've heard before that people generally find out the results for the NI stream mid-March. I emailed Parity today asking for clarification, so hopefully they get back to me soon.
Maybe because applications were open before they announced the embargo they will honour it? Or is the general consensus that there will be a list?

I felt the same about my policy exercise (AC on Feb 9th). I work for the NICS, and the guidance published alongside the embargo announcement contained an assurance that a fast stream merit list would be drawn up. However, that in itself does mean any candidate will get a job in September, or indeed at all - some general board lists remain active for 5-7 years!

Given the current push for redundancies in the NICS, I envisage no more than 1 or 2 posts being filled in September, with no NI Fast Stream running for the foreseeable future. This could mean that all candidates acheiving over a certain mark this year may be included in a ranked list for posts as they become available in succeeding years, post-redundancies.

Can you post here upon receiving any news from Parity?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending