The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's the alternative?

Maybe Law, maybe History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abi790
Hey! We are in a very similar boat, I'm applying for exactly the same at Oxford Bath and Sheffield! I'm also applying to Bristol, and I'm torn between Liverpool and Cardiff (But it is very close to home) as my lower insurance. I would say consider maybe an ABB Uni if there is a uni on that list you are less inclined to firm that the others, but it's totally up to you at the end of the day.

I really want to do Biochem if I don't get into medicine in my gap year, but what types of jobs are there? I checked it out and there are far and few. I am gonna go to a course that wants like an AAA(hopefully). I just don't think the employment is that good TBH. I would do it though, if I like it. But just the fact that getting a job in the field is kind of hard(based on my research)
Original post by Obiejess
Maybe Law, maybe History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bio
Chem
Maths
History
Further Maths

Sorted
But my A Level choices affect it.
And they need to be done soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're doing about a zillion A levels anyway aren't you? So you could put down history, English (or whatever), bio, chem, maths for now to cover both options? I can't remember which early ones you're doing though other than French :redface: Whatever your school says now you'll be able to change them anytime up to a couple of weeks into next year probably anyway, or certainly after GCSE results, so for now you just need to put something down.
Maybe Law, maybe History

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you need to study either of those to apply for them... (some places at least...)
Back from Villiers Park, was a pretty ****ing awesome 5 days.
Original post by MangoFreak
Back from Villiers Park, was a pretty ****ing awesome 5 days.

Hi. Nice man, must have been freaking amazing! Did you do the A-level changing thinking course or something like that? What was it like? Say someone is motivated, do you know it would be beneficial for them?
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Hi. Nice man, must have been freaking amazing! Did you do the A-level changing thinking course or something like that? What was it like? Say someone is motivated, do you know it would be beneficial for them?

I think they're called Inspiring Excellence courses; I've been on the Astrophysics course since Monday and just got back. It was really great; the tutors were awesome (two PhD students from Birmingham), everyone else on the course was incredible (we were all complaining about having to leave to go back to being intellectually isolated - for 5 days we were actually able to sit up at 9pm with a whiteboard and do maths for fun with other people, and actually have it be the cool thing to do), and the food was actually spectacular.

We launched rockets on Thursday (my group may have filled ours with rocks to move the centre of mass forwards; I was terrified it would come apart and effectively carpet bomb everyone) and did a load of seminars on things like relativity and computer programming.

Made a ton of friends.

It's great if you need a boost in motivation (I know somebody on the course came for that reason), but I see no reason why you wouldn't love it all the same even if you were already at your peak.
Bio
Chem
Maths
History
Further Maths

Sorted

I refuse to do 5 any more after that French shambles. No more biting off more than I can chew (life lesson completed).

The problem is theres this really amazing college that work with Notts uni (google nuast) but they only offer science A Levels, ergo, no History. Which I love :frown: . But they would really help with NatSci apps, and I'd do FM instead.

So if I decide History I have to stay at sixth form, which is by and large slightly better than your average. So I'd do History instead of FM.

Thoughts?

EDIT: whats quite funny though is my History Teacher did Cam Law and my Chemistry Teacher did Cam NatSci, so I've got primary sources to talk to about the courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You don't need FM actually for bio NatSci
You don't need FM actually for bio NatSci

But still there's the NUAST (better) vs Sixth form thing that plays in to all of this

Posted from TSR Mobile
But still there's the NUAST (better) vs Sixth form thing that plays in to all of this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urmmm

How much better?
I am predicted ABC whats the likelihood of me getting on to an ABB course?
Urmmm

How much better?

NUAST is new this year so not much known about percentages yet. Here's the website, look at the courses and facilities www.nuast.org.uk

At my sixth form the average grade is a B and I know for a fact that although there are good teachers there are many more bad ones. Relatively meh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NUAST is new this year so not much known about percentages yet. Here's the website, look at the courses and facilities www.nuast.org.uk

At my sixth form the average grade is a B and I know for a fact that although there are good teachers there are many more bad ones. Relatively meh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be wary of new places

I just think you should go wherever you think you'll be happiest

Cos that's where you'll do best tbh
Uni Mock Interview

Q) When are University Interview days generally at?

I signed up to a Mock Uni Interview with my 6th Form on Oct 22 for Physics. I got an email from my 6th form stating
" A volunteer with a Doctorate in Physics and Engineering is giving up his working time to interview you so you must attend." :gasp:
It then sunk it as the person who's interviewing me has a PHD and here I am with just AS working into my A2s. :lol:
I'm so small compared to the interview who has done +6 years of studies after A Levels.

Any tips not to panic etc? :pinch:
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I really want to do Biochem if I don't get into medicine in my gap year, but what types of jobs are there? I checked it out and there are far and few. I am gonna go to a course that wants like an AAA(hopefully). I just don't think the employment is that good TBH. I would do it though, if I like it. But just the fact that getting a job in the field is kind of hard(based on my research)

I had an argument with a girl at a medicine conference (I had already paid for ) after I deicded on Biochem, she was pretty rude about my choice and the fact I go to state school so I feel quite passionately about this! :P I origenally wanted to be a medic, but I love Biochem, and couldn't imagine myself enjoying any other course as much.... Medicine I felt abit... meh about. I was only considering it for the jobs. I have spent lots of time in labs, especially cancer research as its a particular interest for me... the researchers are biochemists or geneticists. The people I have spoken to say if you love your subject and want to do a PhD then there are definitely subject specific jobs. Aside from research there are jobs in pharmaceutical companies, not just lab work but lots of graduates go into rep and averting jobs for the big drug companies. Equally, there is the food industry, hospital labs, Forensics... there list goes on. Sure, the jobs aren't guaranteed like with medicine, but most degrees aren't vocational. What do you do with a History or English degree is much the same question in my opinion. I just think I'll get the best degree in a subject I want to be doing than one I feel half hearted about, and not enjoy a career in.
I'd be wary of new places

I just think you should go wherever you think you'll be happiest

Cos that's where you'll do best tbh

Well the open days in about a month so we'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2518
Are we allowed to legally request to read our reference before it is sent off through UCAS by our sixth forms / college?
Original post by Hudl
Are we allowed to legally request to read our reference before it is sent off through UCAS by our sixth forms / college?

Have you tried asking politely first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest