Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachy23)
    Yeah, since I'm in top set, pretty much everyone wants an A* and this girl got an A (which was her target) and asked to redo it but wasn't allowed since she's already on target so that's a bit annoying for her...
    I think you only get one extra chance because it's difficult to get the time to keep redoing them and stuff - I'm not really sure but I'm redoing mine after the mocks, thankfully! Yep I hope so too, getting really stressed out over this
    You have sets for English...? :confused:
    Ah, must be annoying for her Would hate to be in her shoes.
    Don't stress Take things one at a time: Concentrate on your mocks first. When they're over, then go and stress about your redo. Otherwise you'll just be buried in unnecessary stress.
    Also, is it the best mark you get that counts? Just curious is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I'm doing AS Maths right now so two :3. And I'm talking from our Sixth Forms pass rates, peoples experiences also. You have done none so you can hardly have an opinion on something you have absolutely no experience of.

You do realise you are proving my point. It is HARD. That is my point. It is so hard it not worth doing unless you are 100% dedicated to it which the person I was actually trying to help wasn't. They were only taking it because they were getting higher grades than they were in RS. If you'd bothered to read their post you'd see that they didn't actually enjoy the bloody language.

My point is not that it should be easy. It is that IT IS stupidly hard. And that is somrthing that needs to be kept in mind. You will not do as well in French for 2 hours of work put in as you would for something like Maths. It is like an energy vacumn.

You know more than a quarter of the French students at my sixth form were actually having panic attacks/depression. One girl dropped out of sixth form because of it. It is a drain on your very existence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest it sounds as if you and others at your school were having a bad experience with the A Level and hence you have more than a good right to express your view on it but not in a way that entirely discourages others from taking A Level French. Also, I think it is a bit unfair to compare two subject such as Maths and French. I would like to think that with any A Level you get out what you put in
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Quintessentially)
    I think that taking a levels in year 10 is too young. You're much more mature and able to manage to your time, at least in my opinion, when you're 17/18 compared to 14/15.
    I agree + I love your username!
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    To be honest it sounds as if you and others at your school were having a bad experience with the A Level and hence you have more than a good right to express your view on it but not in a way that entirely discourages others from taking A Level French. Also, I think it is a bit unfair to compare two subject such as Maths and French. I would like to think that with any A Level you get out what you put in
    Agreed.

GILOOOOOOOO. Hi!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    I agree + I love your username!

Agreed.

GILOOOOOOOO. Hi!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :bl: Hiiiiiiii :party:

How are you?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    :bl: Hiiiiiiii :party:

How are you?
    :woo::woo:

I'm fine, thank you! Y10 is pretty good at the moment! :ahee: How about you + Y11?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :woo::woo:

I'm fine, thank you! Y10 is pretty good at the moment! :ahee: How about you + Y11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good, tbh I think Yr10/year11 GCSE years are a bit overrated - im always bored but maybe that means I'm not doing enough revision :mmm:

Best bit about year 11 is fantasising about college and later start times and four subjects :ahee:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Good, tbh I think Yr10/year11 GCSE years are a bit overrated - im always bored but maybe that means I'm not doing enough revision :mmm:

Best bit about year 11 is fantasising about college and later start times and four subjects :ahee:
    Overrated how? (: I don't feel that there was much of a jump from Y9 to 10. What about Y10 to 11? Revising? :eek: Already... Not looking forward to that.

Who says you can't do that in Year 10? :ahee: What are you thinking of taking? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Overrated how? (: I don't feel that there was much of a jump from Y9 to 10. What about Y10 to 11? Revising? :eek: Already... Not looking forward to that.

Who says you can't do that in Year 10? :ahee: What are you thinking of taking? :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like everyone 'bigs it up' saying its so tiring and stressful and whatever but at least my experience of it is quite the opposite. It feels like a bit of an anticlimax :d Although maybe this is because the exams are now linear....if so I am frightened .... Year Ten to Eleven was fine - you'll have nothing to worry about

:ahee: I can't stand being at a school with people five years younger than me anymore
    100% set on Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and French :ahee: But not sure if I should pick up a fifth? Because of my maths situation I am also set on doing STEP I and Step II in Yr12 so maybe a fifth would be pushing it a bit...not sure :dontknow:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Like everyone 'bigs it up' saying its so tiring and stressful and whatever but at least my experience of it is quite the opposite. It feels like a bit of an anticlimax :d Although maybe this is because the exams are now linear....if so I am frightened .... Year Ten to Eleven was fine - you'll have nothing to worry about

:ahee: I can't stand being at a school with people five years younger than me anymore
    100% set on Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and French :ahee: But not sure if I should pick up a fifth? Because of my maths situation I am also set on doing STEP I and Step II in Yr12 so maybe a fifth would be pushing it a bit...not sure :dontknow:
    Oh okay... Tbh that sounds pretty good. I'm still going to work hard but still... :mmm: In a way I don't want the A-Levels to be changed either. Thanks!!

Aw, you can survive 8 more months! I've only just started noticing that. It feels a little weird being one of the 'eldest' now.
    There's Ad Further Maths? An actual A-Level? Wow. :eek: What would be your 5th (if you did pick a 5th)? What do you do in STEP? Is it just a REALLY difficult maths exam or...? (:

So many questions... Sorry...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well if you're doing Further Maths AND Additional Further Maths, which are considered to be the hardest A-levels going, then I'd advise against taking a fifth AS level. It will just put more pressure on you.

ReputationRep:

Not tiring and stressful? I bet at exam season you'll be feeling it! We've just had a week of mocks which has shown me just how tiring and stressful this year will end up although I do get the bored thing- if I'm not doing school stuff I'm killing time being bored :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    You have sets for English...? :confused:
    Ah, must be annoying for her Would hate to be in her shoes.
    Don't stress Take things one at a time: Concentrate on your mocks first. When they're over, then go and stress about your redo. Otherwise you'll just be buried in unnecessary stress.
    Also, is it the best mark you get that counts? Just curious is all.
    Haha yep we have sets for maths, science and English! Yeah, she sits next to me and was talking about how it's really unfair since it's her GCSE but the teacher said that they'd be looking for those who weren't on target yeah the speaking is currently pushed deep at the back of my mind so I'm not even thinking about that at the moment want to go to another (better) school for sixth form so focusing on my mocks for now yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the best mark that counts but I haven't actually asked so it might not be like that...but I'd assume so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Well if you're doing Further Maths AND Additional Further Maths, which are considered to be the hardest A-levels going, then I'd advise against taking a fifth AS level. It will just put more pressure on you.
    this definitely isn't the case! i'm doing further maths this year (in year 12, inb4 supreme lurker) and i definitely find it much easier than chemistry or physics

if you're the type of person who gets maths, you probably won't find further maths that hard at a level (idk about afm cos my school don't offer it )

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay... Tbh that sounds pretty good. I'm still going to work hard but still... :mmm: In a way I don't want the A-Levels to be changed either. Thanks!!

Aw, you can survive 8 more months! I've only just started noticing that. It feels a little weird being one of the 'eldest' now.
    There's Ad Further Maths? An actual A-Level? Wow. :eek: What would be your 5th (if you did pick a 5th)? What do you do in STEP? Is it just a REALLY difficult maths exam or...? (:

So many questions... Sorry...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have our first set of mocks starting next week (other ones are the really important Jan mocks) and everyone else seems to be fretting so much over them - I think now that Im so set on maths I kind of lack a care for what I get in everything else...I think the reality check I get after these mocks next week will spring me into action :mmm: Luckily for me physics will be my only linear A Level :ahee:

Yep aha, especially when the majority of my year is so immature! Or maybe I'm just really mature :lol: scary thought...

Yep, I think only edexcel offer it and harldy anyone in the country actually does it but it means I can still have half of my A Levels as maths Im not sure...maybe economics? If my college offered German I would definetely do that as a fifth but the don't

STEP is an entrance exam use by Cambridge and Warwick and I think Imperial. Basically they are super hard maths exams that are aimed at the top 2% of A Level Mathematicians :/ They are usually part of a conditional offer and hence taken in Yr13 so my thinking is that if I can do 2 of the 3 exams a year earlier than normal and do well it would great benefit my academic profile

Wow...long post :lol:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    (in year 12, inb4 supreme lurker)
    :rolleyes:
    We have our first set of mocks starting next week (other ones are the really important Jan mocks) and everyone else seems to be fretting so much over them - I think now that Im so set on maths I kind of lack a care for what I get in everything else...I think the reality check I get after these mocks next week will spring me into action :mmm: Luckily for me physics will be my only linear A Level :ahee:

Yep aha, especially when the majority of my year is so immature! Or maybe I'm just really mature :lol: scary thought...

Yep, I think only edexcel offer it and harldy anyone in the country actually does it but it means I can still have half of my A Levels as maths Im not sure...maybe economics? If my college offered German I would definetely do that as a fifth but the don't

STEP is an entrance exam use by Cambridge and Warwick and I think Imperial. Basically they are super hard maths exams that are aimed at the top 2% of A Level Mathematicians :/ They are usually part of a conditional offer and hence taken in Yr13 so my thinking is that if I can do 2 of the 3 exams a year earlier than normal and do well it would great benefit my academic profile

Wow...long post :lol:
    Oh okay... So 'mock' mocks? :ahee: Well at least it'll be now rather than during the real exams! Lucky! :nothing:

Ah okay. :teehee: My year has kind of calmed down now!

Ah okay, that's true! Does it kind of lead you into Uni Maths work? Economics would be pretty good, I'd ask some current students though if you've never done it before. (: German! :ahee: Could you do it outside of school?

Oh wow. :eek: Pretty good idea! Good luck, are you going to be preparing for it etc.?

Don't worry. 'Twas an interesting read. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Oh okay... So 'mock' mocks? :ahee: Well at least it'll be now rather than during the real exams! Lucky! :nothing:

Ah okay. :teehee: My year has kind of calmed down now!

Ah okay, that's true! Does it kind of lead you into Uni Maths work? Economics would be pretty good, I'd ask some current students though if you've never done it before. (: German! :ahee: Could you do it outside of school?

Oh wow. :eek: Pretty good idea! Good luck, are you going to be preparing for it etc.?

Don't worry. 'Twas an interesting read. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, you got it :ahee: :smug:

Not really although its is probably the hardest A Level maths will get so yippee and all :party:

Thanks and OF COURSE! One cannot simply waltz into the STEP exams and do well!!

:mmm: I made this one a little shorter on purpose :congrats:

ReputationRep:

and don't one smiley response me, its so annoying (inb4 this gets a one smiley response)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yep, you got it :ahee: :smug:

Not really although its is probably the hardest A Level maths will get so yippee and all :party:

Thanks and OF COURSE! One cannot simply waltz into the STEP exams and do well!!

:mmm: I made this one a little shorter on purpose :congrats:
    :woo:

Good luck then! Today I learnt that Additional Further Maths exists! :ahee: I don't think I'd ever consider it though... Only Maths and FM.

I was going to say. :eek::eek: Are you expected know how to do a lot of the questions or...?

I noticed. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)

and don't one smiley response me, its so annoying (inb4 this gets a one smiley response)

Spoiler:
    Show
    The temptation... is real. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The temptation... is real. :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler:
    Show

just try it bish

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.