Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to learn evaluation points for everything! If anyone can help me with some (especially stress and social) I'd really appreciate it 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadiariya)
    Could someone help me with fully developed AO2 points on the psychodynamic and biological approach? Finding it quite difficult
    BIOLOGICAL:
    + scientific - theories can be tested (for example gottesman (1991) found a 49% concordance rate in identical twins with schizophrenia compared to 17% in non identical twins
    + Drugs therapies have helped disorders such as schizophrenia which were treated poorly previously (antipsychotics)
    + Seen as ethical as patients are not blamed for their disorder (rather than cbt where people can be made to feel like they're the problem)
    - ignores the influence of cognitions, concordance rates are never 100% so there must be another factor, not just biology
    - ethical concerns, ect, drugs can produce addiction
    - psychological treatments can be just as effective (cbt, systematic desensitisation)

PSYCHODYNAMIC
    - not scientific- freuds theories cannot be proven right or wrong as they are SuBJECTIVE
    - over sexualised eg psychosexual stages and Oedipus complex (really????)
    - focuses on the past rather than present
    - psychoanalysis time and money consuming, not suitable to everyone and not a lot of people that committed
    + first approach to consider psychological causes rather than being possessed by spirits
    + patients found to have 80% success rate with psychoanalysis compared to 65% with a mixture of different treatment methods
    + has led to research on the effects of childhood on mental health eg sexual ab use in childhood

ReputationRep:
    Can you use Asch's variations to evaluate the study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, um... 1:44am. Exam is at 1:15pm. And I'm just starting my revision now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollyanna1998)
    So, um... 1:44am. Exam is at 1:15pm. And I'm just starting my revision now.
    I started earlier today but still going :/

ReputationRep:
    All nighter peeps!!! :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinny22)
    All nighter peeps!!! :d
    That's really not good. I'm guessing you'll be getting coffee/energy drinks to keep you up then -___- last thing you want is to be tired before an exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya98)
    Can you use Asch's variations to evaluate the study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I used Asch's variations for why people resist conformity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    12 marker prediction: workplace stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraahaley)
    Well let's hope it doesn't come up xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even though stress has come up for the last 2 years as a 12 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any evaluation points for psychodynamic and biological approach???
    Someone literally just wrote that a few comments up -___-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleonore)
    Even though stress has come up for the last 2 years as a 12 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it's never been more than 5 marks (2011 I think) I think it's either going to be workplace stress or social change

ReputationRep:
    For psychodynamic approach you could say that Freud's research was revolutionary, in that he was the first to study the unconscious mind which led to more research by others.

For the biological approach you could use Szasz as an evaluation point. They stated that the biological model does not explain abnormality and that it is just an excuse to drug people and keep them 'under control'
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychodynamic approach:
    Reductionist, it doesn't include biological factors which can have an effect,
    Deterministic, the individual has little free will, so abnormal behaviour is not his responsibility, you can say that psychopaths then are not that guilty
    It is a revolutionary theory , it has also become widespread accepted, the idea was supported by Bowlby with the internal working model
    It is abstract so difficult to test using scientific methods since it concentrates on the unconscious
    Sexist, Freud also said it is not suited for women. However modern psychoanalysis have explanations applicable to women like the oedipal complex

Biological approach:
    most scientific approach
    Reductionist because it doesn't include environmental factors
    There is a problem with cause and effect, depression can be an effect of neurotransmitter imbalance but also a cause
    There is no 100% concordance rate so environmental factors play a role
    No personal responsibility, like the psychodynamic approach the individual has little free will

Remember to elaborate , that is all I can think about
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's never been more than 5 marks (2011 I think) I think it's either going to be workplace stress or social change
    What can you write about if a 12 marker came up on social change??

ReputationRep:
    good luck everybody I am wishing us all the best!! see me in the forums later crying over the abnormality chapter

ReputationRep:
    What are some weaknesses of using an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentwiz)
    What can you write about if a 12 marker came up on social change??
    You can write about Moscovici and then conclude that for a social change being consistent is important,
    There is also the suffragettes, where you can include the steps for social change which are:
    Drawing attention to an issue opposed to the majority
    The role of conflict, when we examine the minority view more deeply
    Consistency
    The argumentation principle, taking risks when putting forward the point of view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentwiz)
    What are some weaknesses of using an interview?
    Time consuming
    Difficult to compare in-depth interviews because each one is unique

Thats all i can think of atm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.