The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May I thank everyone who voted for the reinstatement of the Monarchy Bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Not for long and not until the 7th... By the 30th of next month they will be gone again.
You seem to be jumping the gun a bit, you're assuming there will be enough silly republican MPs to do so
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
You seem to be jumping the gun a bit, you're assuming there will be enough silly republican MPs to do so
Even rakas supports the Republic.... All we need to do is get the referendum.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You say "even Rakas" as if he is the epitome of conservatism.... he isn't, very few of the members of this party are very good conservatives
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Even with a referendum I would stake my money on the Monarchy being retained.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You say "even Rakas" as if he is the epitome of conservatism.... he isn't, very few of the members of this party are very good conservatives
Are you saying rakas is a bad Tory? I thought he pulled all the strings.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Are you saying rakas is a bad Tory? I thought he pulled all the strings.
There's a difference between not good and bad, all you have to do is look at the political compass results to see a lot aren't great, but then political compass is just terrible.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I recon a referendum would result in tge abolition of the monarchy.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a difference between not good and bad, all you have to do is look at the political compass results to see a lot aren't great, but then political compass is just terrible.
The party scores on PC aren't great but indavidual scores are good for comparing because any biases are applied equally which means they ballence out. But rakas is tge most right Wong person in the MHoC.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The party scores on PC aren't great but indavidual scores are good for comparing because any biases are applied equally which means they ballence out. But rakas is tge most right Wong person in the MHoC.
But isn't he also one of the more liberal ones in the party, although most of us came out as pretty darn liberal. The comment on the biases isn't even true, because it assumes the same bias will be applied equally over the whole region.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But isn't he also one of the more liberal ones in the party, although most of us came out as pretty darn liberal. The comment on the biases isn't even true, because it assumes the same bias will be applied equally over the whole region.
We was the second most liberal yes.
What are you talking about? Tge questions are the same for all. So every bias in every question is applied to every person to when comparing 2 real people the biases cancel out...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
We was the second most liberal yes.
What are you talking about? Tge questions are the same for all. So every bias in every question is applied to every person to when comparing 2 real people the biases cancel out...
Not necessarily, depends on the methodology.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I supported a referendum of affirmation which i got in 2012. I'm largely neutral on the monarchy myself but will probably vote to retain them and certainly would against any bill that ignores the referendum. I've no emotional attachment but i still don't want another beaurocrat, i'm happy with the status-quo.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I doubt I'll have the energy to abolish the Monarchy again. And I certainly don't want a Monarchy referendum, so there.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I doubt I'll have the energy to abolish the Monarchy again. And I certainly don't want a Monarchy referendum, so there.
Why not a referendum?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Why not a referendum?
Its such a boring/not-at-all-topical debate to spend so much time campaigning on. I do still think a TSR President would be good though.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would contribute to the compass debate by saying that there's also a difference between what i believe in and what is practically possible. If i were a dictator i'd be quite happy to abolish most planning law so that the market can deliver the number of homes we need (other than cost, beaurocracy is the biggest thing holding development back). As a democracy though, that's not possible (because NIMBY's would never vote for you) and so the best solution is a MacMillan style building programme in certain counties with the right to buy as strong as possible.

What i believe in principal would therefore look uber-right, what i'd do given the constraints we have is left of RL on this issue.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Its such a boring/not-at-all-topical debate to spend so much time campaigning on. I do still think a TSR President would be good though.
I imagine a president would end up wasted on TSR. I mean, in the 3 years i've been an MP only in about half the terms has the foreign secretary even engaged properly and there's a massive amount of scope be it via statements and motions about world events or working via the MUN.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I would contribute to the compass debate by saying that there's also a difference between what i believe in and what is practically possible. If i were a dictator i'd be quite happy to abolish most planning law so that the market can deliver the number of homes we need (other than cost, beaurocracy is the biggest thing holding development back). As a democracy though, that's not possible (because NIMBY's would never vote for you) and so the best solution is a MacMillan style building programme in certain counties with the right to buy as strong as possible.

What i believe in principal would therefore look uber-right, what i'd do given the constraints we have is left of RL on this issue.
I must be the Rakas of the Green Party then. If we were living in an anarchy everything would be run as a cooperative which is the uber libertarian left. However, being in a democracy I just want to improve living standards for all and I seem quite centrist.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.61%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.32%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.07%

Watched Threads