The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by SA-1
Yeah I don't understand why the **** that needs to be the case? Why do people need to go out of their way to make **** harder.

Just coming out of education, where there's a real emphasis on maintaining a good environment for people to work in, to a place where bitches like her would do anything to make **** hard.

I was referring to Daniel's comment about Kings though

Original post by SA-1
Scenes when you walk in for an informal chat and it's a panel interview with the CEO, two senior managers, a fit girl for the sake of it and Graeme Souness sitting there waiting to roast you

Yeah I've had fit girl interviews(awkward as ****) and I basically got panel interviewed on monday by a guy who used to work in a very senior position for UBS and a wealth manager.

Man I can handle being interviewed by a general recruitment consultant or a head of departments but sometimes you just get overwhelmed.
Original post by SA-1
Whats wrong with Kings fam?

@Dirtybit, should we bang this guy.

My uni has a rivalry with them over petty ****
Reply 2502
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah I've had fit girl interviews(awkward as ****) and I basically got panel interviewed on monday by a guy who used to work in a very senior position for UBS and a wealth manager.

Man I can handle being interviewed by a general recruitment consultant or a head of departments but sometimes you just get overwhelmed.

Every interview is different in their style of interviewing, and it makes complete sense. I carry out interviews now, and I use my own ways to find out things about the person I'm interviewing.

So in my most recent interview, I purposely put the girl in such an uncomfortable situation - not to see what she answers, but to see how she reacts to being in an uncomfortable situation.

So she got a 2:1 in her undergrad, and a distinction in her masters. I was like:

Me: So, I just want to go back to your education - how do feel about your results?

Her: I think they are really good, as you can see I got a distinction for my masters. My supervisor really loved my thesis and has asked for it to be used to show other students what a good thesis looks like

Me: & what about your undergrad?

Her: I think I could have done better because I'm obviously capable of doing well [then she proceeds to speak about how well she did in her masters]

Me: So why didn't you do better?

Her: [I can't remember her answer tbh, but it was something generic about underestimating exams and then learning from her experiences and doing well at masters]

Me: If we were to create two categories - one where you knew what you were capable of but didn't put the hard work in, or the other where you assumed you're capable but later concluded that you weren't good enough.. which would you put yourself in?

She froze for a second and then told me that she didn't put the hard work in, and then framed it really positively in that she learnt from it, and made sure it wouldn't happen at masters level etc..

I didn't prepare to ask that question at all, it just came to me and I thought **** it :lol: If she was to start working with me, she would need to know how to react to uncomfortable situations because people with brain injuries would present her with so many.

What I'm getting at is interviewers tend to look at your personality through how you answer, react to certain questions, your assertiveness etc - so in terms of prep, work on how you present yourself and your answers as well as the content
(edited 7 years ago)
I had an interview last year at Formula E for a Media Rights management internship thing, tbh kinda the opposite end of the industry I wanted to be in looking back, and so showed the guy who manages the copyright stuff for them an edited video I had created of motorbikes, that was technically copyright theft ffs
@SA-1 you're a sCUNThorpe :lol:
Development at work.

Contracts were set to end at the end of June but they're gonna renew some until the end of the year. However due to costs they can't afford to renew both mine and my colleague's.

If we both went for it, I'd get the job hands down, however the problem is that I need to leave for uni in September. So it's a little unfair to take a job, work for 3 months and then leave when somebody else could work until the end of 2016.

Sucks so much, so now I'm gonna have like 2 and a half months with no job, waiting for uni and trying not to spend money.

What would you do in this situation?
Original post by Lúcio
Development at work.

Contracts were set to end at the end of June but they're gonna renew some until the end of the year. However due to costs they can't afford to renew both mine and my colleague's.

If we both went for it, I'd get the job hands down, however the problem is that I need to leave for uni in September. So it's a little unfair to take a job, work for 3 months and then leave when somebody else could work until the end of 2016.

Sucks so much, so now I'm gonna have like 2 and a half months with no job, waiting for uni and trying not to spend money.

Would you get the renewal because of your fit sister?

Do you know if the other person would want the job till December? Do you even like this other person?

Getting the extension would allow you to brag about your salary for a few more months.

#banter

On a serious note, it may look bad on your sister if you take the extension and then leave halfway through it. You could always ask them if they could do with your services for another month or two instead of the full 6 months?
SA1 and dirtybit go to King's? Interesting
Original post by Lúcio
Development at work.

Sell your body
Reply 2509
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Nah I'm only studying part time now, at Burnel
Original post by Zerforax
Would you get the renewal because of your fit sister?

Do you know if the other person would want the job till December? Do you even like this other person?

Getting the extension would allow you to brag about your salary for a few more months.

#banter

On a serious note, it may look bad on your sister if you take the extension and then leave halfway through it. You could always ask them if they could do with your services for another month or two instead of the full 6 months?

Nah, the other centre manager will be in charge of deciding, but I'm literally better at the job so I wouldn't be worried if we both went up for it.

My colleague has been I the job longer than me and I'm almost certain she'll want it, purely due to the wage. Her partner earns a ridiculous amount of money and she just sold a house for like £500k so she's really well off financially and only seems to do temp work anyway. I think it keeps her busy more than anything else really.

Everybody knows I'm off to uni and I'll make it clear that I'm leaving in September regardless. I don't know for sure the contracts will be renewed until December - if they're only renewed until September/October, that's perfect for me anyway.

The main thing is that it would give me an extra £6k that I could use next year whilst at uni, instead of being bored at home for nearly 3 months in the summer.
Original post by Lúcio
Nah, the other centre manager will be in charge of deciding, but I'm literally better at the job so I wouldn't be worried if we both went up for it.

My colleague has been I the job longer than me and I'm almost certain she'll want it, purely due to the wage. Her partner earns a ridiculous amount of money and she just sold a house for like £500k so she's really well off financially and only seems to do temp work anyway. I think it keeps her busy more than anything else really.

Everybody knows I'm off to uni and I'll make it clear that I'm leaving in September regardless. I don't know for sure the contracts will be renewed until December - if they're only renewed until September/October, that's perfect for me anyway.

The main thing is that it would give me an extra £6k that I could use next year whilst at uni, instead of being bored at home for nearly 3 months in the summer.

I think you have to go for it so long as you make it clear what you last date would be. I'm of the view - you don't ask, you don't get.
Reply 2512
In-text references don't count towards the word count either do they?

I mean the:

Various Manchester United supporters have suggested that signing Harry Kane rather than Paul Pogba (@zKlown et al., 2016) would be more beneficial to the club.

I can exclude the (@zKlown et al., 2016) from the count right?

It would help me massively
inb4 they both go for it, and she gets it on merit. Lucio forced to sell his silk pyjamas and be a proper bindipper till September.
Original post by Zerforax
I think you have to go for it so long as you make it clear what you last date would be. I'm of the view - you don't ask, you don't get.

Well we have a 1-2-1 next week - I'm just gonna say that it would be nice to stay on but I simply cannot work later than September.

If that's a problem, I'm happy for the job to go to my colleague. Don't get me wrong, if she had a family and "needed" this job, I'd let her have it without a second thought. However the way things are now, the extra 3 months wage would benefit me way more than her, which is why I'm struggling about what to do.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
inb4 they both go for it, and she gets it on merit. Lucio forced to sell his silk pyjamas and be a proper bindipper till September.

Ngl if that happened I'd just have to lie and pretend work wanted somebody to stay until December so couldn't take me...

Seriously though, if I restrict my spending over the summer I'll be completely fine next year, but an extra £5/6k would be huge and make rings so much easier!
Original post by Lúcio
Development at work.

Take the job. Work for another year. Delay your masters.

Dont be an idiot. Thank me later.

Serriously though, you have a really nice job at the moment, and you want to run off and do a masters after a few months? Look at it from the ballance of your life:

If you stay for 1 more year, then:

- you have nearly 2 years of experiance.. much better then less then 1, as many professional jobs ask for around 2 years or more.

- You have huge savings, already have 13k, so you could potentially get to what 35-40k total after another 15 months bassically.

- you still do your masters, just 1 year later.

BUT, now not only do you have enough money to do your masters.. you also have the deposit on your first house, and a comfortable cushion incase it takes you longer to find work after your masters.

1 year of your life, for:

- much improved work history
- savings for masters + big life events

In my eyes its easily worth it.

I am not a big fan of the job I do right now, I would love to be back in uni doing a masters in something I love, but it pays bloody well, and my cost of living is tiny, so I am in a similar situation as you, and just get on with it and do it.. saving in the UK is hard under normal circumstances, so when you are given an opertunity to save a lot, in a short time - these days with crazy house prices and high cost of living.. you should jump at it.
Original post by SA-1
Whats wrong with Kings fam?

@Dirtybit, should we bang this guy.

Original post by swirly
he goes to Kingston not Kings.

strong comprehension :colonhash:

Wait which Kings does he go to before people are banged?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Yeah KCL but not Kingston ffs
Original post by Lúcio
Development at work.Contracts were set to end at the end of June but they're gonna renew some until the end of the year. However due to costs they can't afford to renew both mine and my colleague's.If we both went for it, I'd get the job hands down, however the problem is that I need to leave for uni in September. So it's a little unfair to take a job, work for 3 months and then leave when somebody else could work until the end of 2016.Sucks so much, so now I'm gonna have like 2 and a half months with no job, waiting for uni and trying not to spend money.What would you do in this situation?

What fallen said makes sense

No point leaving your job so soon when your currently making £90k a year man.
Original post by SA-1
In-text references don't count towards the word count either do they?

I mean the:

Various Manchester United supporters have suggested that signing Harry Kane rather than Paul Pogba (@zKlown et al., 2016) would be more beneficial to the club.

I can exclude the (@zKlown et al., 2016) from the count right?

It would help me massively

I always included it in my word count cause I was always short. Need every word I can get.

Tbh, I don't think markers are that strict with the word count. Like, they won't go out of their way to ensure the word count given is exactly what it is.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest