Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I almost had a melt down on Friday. I found myself talking a long time to demonstrate and explain things to the pupils. I realised that I was running out of time, I then rushed and the bell went and I hadn't given out the homework. So it was a nightmare at the end.

That lesson I had to get so much covered, including providing feedback on previous lesson and starting a new topic, doing a starter, demonstrating how to use new software, students experimenting with it and doing a set task as well as a plenary and self assessment on the task I has set them and a whole host of other things such as new seating plans etc.

I have now planned all my lessons for next week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Behaviour was fine actually, which was one of the only strengths I had. I'm having trouble explaining myself clearly and modelling the work for them. I think it boils down to lack of confidence in me being able to do this so the lesson I planned was pretty rubbish. It also was probably rubbish because I was absolutely exhausted when I planned it... I know I can plan good lessons because my year 7 ones are always good and my mentor for them thinks I'm at a very good place with them having only taught two full lessons for them.

Well that's half the battle then if the behaviour is good!

I had a problem with my modelling/explaining last week with my year 7 class - basically my observing teacher just said you need to say what it is you want them to do (step by step, clearly) how long they have to do it and what you expect from them in that time frame (so one paragraph written for example). I feel my modelling was a lot better the next day for my year 8 class.

No doubt about it, teaching is difficult, there's so many different things you have to think about and when you're planning you might forget about something that's obvious so when it comes to the lesson some things might not go to plan.

As long as you have a good ethos in your classroom where pupils enjoy the atmosphere, understand the rules and produce work that shows some sort of progress (the key word in teaching at the minute I'm finding) then you'll be well on your way.

Let us know how it goes next time!

ReputationRep:
    I JUST WANT TO SLEEP! Instead I am up at 1.15, still making resources. I want to cry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmabob)
    I JUST WANT TO SLEEP! Instead I am up at 1.15, still making resources. I want to cry...
    Then sleep! No resource is worth more than a happy, healthy teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmabob)
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Then sleep! No resource is worth more than a happy, healthy teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree - you won't be able to use your resources well if you are exhausted! Hope you managed to get some sleep.

-----------

On another note, I had a breakthrough with my year 8 class who, compared to last week, were brilliant with me yesterday. Really boosted my confidence and my faith in teaching haha.

Got them again today and I said for their behaviour we could watch a few minutes of the film Elizabeth (related to the lesson) so hopefully they will realise that good behaviour is appreciated. Hopefully they can keep this up, because this is the class that my uni mentor will be observing two weeks today! :scared:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone doing?

For those of you in early years or primary, what type of reward system do you use?

ReputationRep:
    First cracks beginning to show in my Uni group (secondary English)

One girl said she told our tutor she wanted to quit after a horrendous week in school, cried in front of her mentor and the tutor.

The tutor told her she isn't quitting yet and told us crying is normal on the PGCE.

A few aren't turning up for tutorials and lectures as well now.

Personally I'm not feeling that much pressure yet. The only thing that's getting me down is the sheer paper work and resourcing; I invested in a printer for my room at the weekend and I already had to change one of the ink cartridges today!

I only have 2 solo lessons timetabled however whereas I should have 3 at a minimum our tutor said so going to ensure I get a key stage 4 lesson sorted as a solo this week in my school.

Have got both my lesson plans done for this week (was in the library until 8 pm last night doing them) and don't have to be in Uni until 1 today which is quite nice (this is a one off)

Have got half my assignment done, going to aim to get it finished by December (it's in for January) so I can have a slightly relaxing Christmas break.

I am worried that when the timetable increases in the new year it's going to be a struggle as at the moment I'm having to find about 8 hours in the week for planning and marking and that's going to increase to about 15 or so...me and late nights don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    How is everyone doing?

For those of you in early years or primary, what type of reward system do you use?
    I am in Nursery. I personally like to avoid using reward systems if I feel I can get away with it... in an ideal world I'd want them to behave well because they understand why it's needed. However, sometimes some external reward is appropriate!

Stickers work a gem for lots of the younger ones. Either as an incentive (those who tidy well will get a sticker) or as praise (I noticed you were really kind today, so you can have a sticker). We have a chart which we used for a bit (Nursery) where every day we added stickers and gave a clap to those who tidied, as we had a lot who just weren't joining in. We also use stickers to get them joining in with vocab building work (chn. who speak very little).

For slightly older children you always have traffic light/cloud-sun-rainbow type systems where you move their names. You can then put those on green/rainbow at the end of the week in to a prize draw and the winner/s get to choose a prize (can be all sorts of cheap items from wilko/pound shop etc... pencils, rubbers, small toys).

Mini-certificates to go home at the end of the day when a child who often struggles has a good day can go well. I always make an effort to mention to their grown up that they had a good day, then remind them of how well they did if they start to struggle the next day.

Another thing you can do for specific children who struggle is get them to choose a small reward. Something like getting to choose the book for story time, getting to choose a song... depends on what the child comes up with! And then give them a stamp for sections of the day if they have good behaviour (e.g. pre-break, post-break, lunch time, afternoon). Then if they get a stamp for all sections they get their reward at the end of the day. You can look back as well if you keep the stamp charts and see if there are patterns in poor behaviour (Idea stolen from my NQT mentor!).

(Original post by Steveluis10)

One girl said she told our tutor she wanted to quit after a horrendous week in school, cried in front of her mentor and the tutor.

The tutor told her she isn't quitting yet and told us crying is normal on the PGCE.

Personally I'm not feeling that much pressure yet. The only thing that's getting me down is the sheer paper work and resourcing; I invested in a printer for my room at the weekend and I already had to change one of the ink cartridges today!

I only have 2 solo lessons timetabled however whereas I should have 3 at a minimum our tutor said so going to ensure I get a key stage 4 lesson sorted as a solo this week in my school.

Have got both my lesson plans done for this week (was in the library until 8 pm last night doing them) and don't have to be in Uni until 1 today which is quite nice (this is a one off)

Have got half my assignment done, going to aim to get it finished by December (it's in for January) so I can have a slightly relaxing Christmas break.

I am worried that when the timetable increases in the new year it's going to be a struggle as at the moment I'm having to find about 8 hours in the week for planning and marking and that's going to increase to about 15 or so...me and late nights don't agree.
    Don't panic, you will be quicker at planning by that point. So it might take only 5 hours or something, so overall you shouldn't get TOO MUCH busier!

xxx

ReputationRep:

You only have two lessons?! I have 6. Apparently I'll be teaching 12 by December. One of the teachers has commented that they think too much is being expected of me though at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    I work with PGCE students so feel the pain.
    Your PGCE year is not representative of the daily life of a teacher and IMO the real job is far more enjoyable yet tough for different reasons.
    Teaching is, IMO, not about the theory but about grafting 20+ hours a week and being responsible for kids progress.
    Good luck to you all and remember a lesson observation is subjective and often based on a snapshot, not the reality of what you do day in day out.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a lot of 'you're being too hard on yourself' comments from my current class teacher (I've just moved having been on placement at a different school before half term).

I think that's just the nature of teaching though. Constantly reflecting on your performance is always going to be difficult and I think most people will naturally pick up on their own faults before the positive things they've done.

When I was on AP1 I was planning and teaching about 9 solo lessons a week, plus 10 slightly shorter phonics lessons, which I guess effectively made it about 14 full lessons per week. Now I've dropped back a little to more like 10 solo lessons, but the planning is more of a joint effort as I get my PPA time with the class teacher (hallelujah!). I'm finding my own rhythm with regards work out of school now, which is good. I'm usually giving myself one weekend day and Friday nights off, plus most evenings off but with very early starts (7am in school) if needed for resourcing etc. I've surprised myself by preferring to work in the mornings actually - I'm not naturally a morning person, but I feel psychologically I benefit from knowing that once I'm home in the evening I don't need to worry about doing work.

ReputationRep:
    You only have two lessons?! I have 6. Apparently I'll be teaching 12 by December. One of the teachers has commented that they think too much is being expected of me though at this stage.
    I should have 3 a week up until Christmas so I'm going to ask for another one (a KS4 one) as I have year 7 and 8 at the minute.

We are meant to teach 20% now until Christmas, then 40% up until February and then I think 50% for our second placement.

To be honest I'd feel 3 right now is manageable, 4 would be a bit of a struggle, anything more and I'd feel stressed!

ReputationRep:
    I should have 3 a week up until Christmas so I'm going to ask for another one (a KS4 one) as I have year 7 and 8 at the minute.

We are meant to teach 20% now until Christmas, then 40% up until February and then I think 50% for our second placement.

To be honest I'd feel 3 right now is manageable, 4 would be a bit of a struggle, anything more and I'd feel stressed!
    I wish we were like that... I'm teaching 50% of a timetable before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we were like that... I'm teaching 50% of a timetable before Christmas.
    I'm attached to 10 lessons per week, and I am beginning to solo teach 75% of those. I've built up to this gradually though, and I actually feel quite comfortable doing it! It is quite stressful but I team teach a year 10 class which is 3 lessons a week, and with one year 8 class I haven't started teaching yet - so the pressure isn't so high for those really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am on 11 at the moment and expecting to go up to 15 after Christmas. So far it is manageable, but i am wondering how the detailed planning is going to be possible when the lesson load is larger...

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching 50% now. Totally alone. Totally independent planning. Crazy to think only 5 weeks ago I had never taught a lesson.
    I feel like there must be something I'm doing wrong though. I barely bring any work home with me, but I seem to be on top of all the work/planning.
    Something's gotta happen soon, it's all going way too swimmingly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyrae)
    I'm teaching 50% now. Totally alone. Totally independent planning. Crazy to think only 5 weeks ago I had never taught a lesson.
    I feel like there must be something I'm doing wrong though. I barely bring any work home with me, but I seem to be on top of all the work/planning.
    Something's gotta happen soon, it's all going way too swimmingly!
    Are you being observed at least once a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Are you being observed at least once a week?
    Yes, in fact I've got a maths observation today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanyrae)
    Yes, in fact I've got a maths observation today.
    That's good, then, you will have enough feedback. Which course are you on, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    That's good, then, you will have enough feedback. Which course are you on, if you don't mind me asking?
    Yeah, I'm on a Primary 5-11 PGCE at Leeds Trinity. So full on and literally not one day off till Christmas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.