Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I reckon we could have won the league cup this season had we not come up against the likes of world class Bradford
    I think that we had a really good chance to win the league cup and we should have. That gervinho miss will haunt me forever....

Hopefully that means next year we'll win though and think we should - it may not be the most prestigious cup but at least it would stop the 8 years since we've won a trophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sanogo is a top talent and one who could soon 'become a quality player'- well according to Football manager. I reckon Wenger eats and breaths FM. No wonder he always finds players we've never heard of.

I've used Sanogo on FM and he is class. I just hope he performs like so in reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I think that we had a really good chance to win the league cup and we should have. That gervinho miss will haunt me forever....

Hopefully that means next year we'll win though and think we should - it may not be the most prestigious cup but at least it would stop the 8 years since we've won a trophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep. If we had beat Bradford that'd leave an out of form Villa side and Swansea to face. Real disappointment. Tbh I do find it strange how much the media talks about 8 years though. Arsenal fans hate it we've gone for so long without a trophy, but why would anyone else care, beyond just saying it for banter? You get fans of like Stoke or Everton taking the piss about it but when did they last win a trophy? I don't know, because i don't care. So I don't get why

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2355916

^^^ thread for Arsenal vs Newcastle ^*****

ReputationRep:
    Yep. If we had beat Bradford that'd leave an out of form Villa side and Swansea to face. Real disappointment. Tbh I do find it strange how much the media talks about 8 years though. Arsenal fans hate it we've gone for so long without a trophy, but why would anyone else care, beyond just saying it for banter? You get fans of like Stoke or Everton taking the piss about it but when did they last win a trophy? I don't know, because i don't care. So I don't get why
    But its worse in arsenals case because they were a top team that were dropped into obscurity for many years and counting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    But its worse in arsenals case because they were a top team that were dropped into obscurity for many years and counting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sometimes you need to take a step back to take two forward,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get why people say it either because they expect we should be winning trophies or just for banter, but it goes too far sometimes. For example, after we beat Bayern 2-0, Carl Jenkinson was interviewed and was saying how proud he was of the team effort and the way we played. The interviewer then said to him did it not bother him Arsenal had gone 8 years wih no trophy. It was a completely bizarre and unnecessary thing to say to Carl.

ReputationRep:
    I get why people say it either because they expect we should be winning trophies or just for banter, but it goes too far sometimes. For example, after we beat Bayern 2-0, Carl Jenkinson was interviewed and was saying how proud he was of the team effort and the way we played. The interviewer then said to him did it not bother him Arsenal had gone 8 years wih no trophy. It was a completely bizarre and unnecessary thing to say to Carl.
    Wow. I didn't see that interview but I guess it's just the media hating arsenal again :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can say arsenal haven't had money to challenge for the league but in the last 8 years you could of won a cup easily, League cup 2011?, arsenal lost to a relegated team, you can't put that down to a new stadium and lack of funds, your squad was better, also Bradford and Blackburn ?? Wenger is to blame... I don't think it's him motivating the players right now to get fourth, it's the players themself's who want it.. He's lost it imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    You can say arsenal haven't had money to challenge for the league but in the last 8 years you could of won a cup easily, League cup 2011?, arsenal lost to a relegated team, you can't put that down to a new stadium and lack of funds, your squad was better, also Bradford and Blackburn ?? Wenger is to blame... I don't think it's him motivating the players right now to get fourth, it's the players themself's who want it.. He's lost it imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Walcott said wenger shouted at them at half time when we played Wigan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)

Wenger has had to buy inferior players because of the lack of funds. We fielded our strong teams in all those games and still lost because the players aren't good enough in terms of quality and mental strength. I doubt any other manager could do what Wenger has done at arsenal since the staduim move, were lucky to have him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger has had to buy inferior players because of the lack of funds. We fielded our strong teams in all those games and still lost because the players aren't good enough in terms of quality and mental strength. I doubt any other manager could do what Wenger has done at arsenal since the staduim move, were lucky to have him
    Completely agree with this. Unfortunately winning is the only way to gain any real recognition, but Wenger has done an amazing job in this difficult cash strapped period.

Where others would have buckled under the pressure and spent money they shouldn't spend, Wenger's stuck to his guns and we are going to reap the rewards of his (and to be fair, the board's) actions for years to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And Bradford/Blackburn's players are? :confused:

Sorry, I just can't buy that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Completely agree with this. Unfortunately winning is the only way to gain any real recognition, but Wenger has done an amazing job in this difficult cash strapped period.

Where others would have buckled under the pressure and spent money they shouldn't spend, Wenger's stuck to his guns and we are going to reap the rewards of his (and to be fair, the board's) actions for years to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about Wigan they won the FA cup.. Your telling me that their players are mentally strong but end up losing a much bigger game 3 days later ? Stop defending wenger.. He could of easily won a FA or league cup in the last 8 years but lacks the abilities to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    What about Wigan they won the FA cup..
    What about Arsenal they didn't get relegated..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    What about Arsenal they didn't get relegated..
    What are you on about??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Four Queue)
    And Bradford/Blackburn's players are? :confused:

Sorry, I just can't buy that.

Its the underdog status in a game it suited Bradford perfectly and arsenal were poor on the day. As we saw today(They won the League 2 playoff 3-0 even though Northampton had that beast Akinfenwa) the Bradford players are very determined, just look at their run to the final. Wenger fielded a team of 11 International players but on the day they were very poor and most importantly lacked the mental strength to overcome Bradford in 120 minutes. At the Blackburn game arsenal were just poor, it was the typical inconsistent below par performance we saw at Norwich away, Swansea home and Villa away.

(Original post by cost)
    What about Wigan they won the FA cup.. Your telling me that their players are mentally strong but end up losing a much bigger game 3 days later ? Stop defending wenger.. He could of easily won a FA or league cup in the last 8 years but lacks the abilities to do so.

Once again the underdog status helped Wigan. No one gave them a chance, there was no expectation on them to get to the final let alone win the whole thing but they are a determined group of players and Man City were very poor that day. Wigan rose to the occasion but City didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    What are you on about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're basing Wenger's achievements on obtaining no trophies by using Wigan for your example. I was countering your argument by including the premiership standings as a means of measuring a season's success. Wenger didn't win a cup and didn't get relegated. Wigan won a cup and did get relegated.

You really didn't understand what I was getting at?

EDIT - Let me turn this into a boring math issue if you'd be willing to bear with me for a moment. For the prem teams the Fa Cup has 6 rounds, let's say Arsenal are 80/20 to pass through each of the first 4 rounds and 50/50 in the semi's and final. That means we very roughly have a 10% chance of winning the Fa Cup in any given year. (11/1 would then be breakeven at the bookies)

The process for calculating the next bit is a tad long winded so you'll have to just trust me but with a 90% chance of Arsenal not winning a cup in any given year, then the probability Arsenal don't win a cup over the course of 8 years is 43%.

Now the figures I've used are entirely reasonable, 80/20 chance of progression in the early rounds is fair and 50/50 in the semi's and final is also entirely fair. So the fact we've gone 8 years without an fa cup trophy really shouldn't come as such a massive shock. In fact I would argue that it's much more likely Arsenal would go 8 years without winning the Fa Cup than the odds Wigan would win it.

It sucks that we haven't won a trophy for a while but teams have stagnant periods. Prior to this drought Arsenal had won the Fa Cup 5 times in 10 years (I think)...does that not come across as decidedly lucky? I seem to remember us being utterly annihilated for 120 mins in our most recent Fa Cup final before winning on penalties.

ReputationRep:
    Its the underdog status in a game it suited Bradford perfectly and arsenal were poor on the day. As we saw today(They won the League 2 playoff 3-0 even though Northampton had that beast Akinfenwa) the Bradford players are very determined, just look at their run to the final. Wenger fielded a team of 11 International players but on the day they were very poor and most importantly lacked the mental strength to overcome Bradford in 120 minutes. At the Blackburn game arsenal were just poor, it was the typical inconsistent below par performance we saw at Norwich away, Swansea home and Villa away.
    1st Bolded part - They should never have had a chance to begin with. The 'underdog' factor shouldn't even be entertained/considered with that kind of gulf in class between the teams. With the team they had out, Arsenal should be beating a league 2 side all day, every day, no exceptions. City losing to Wigan you can understand. At least they're in the same division! (well, were)

2nd Bolded part - Why is that? I've been hearing this statement for many years about our team. Why has the problem of mental strength not been fixed? We've seen a big change in the team since 2008 til now. Many key players gone, others brought in, yet we're still lacking mental strength, apparently. Surely it's time to start asking questions about Wenger in this area, no?

(Original post by Four Queue)
    1st Bolded part - They should never have had a chance to begin with. The 'underdog' factor shouldn't even be entertained/considered with that kind of gulf in class between the teams. With the team they had out, Arsenal should be beating a league 2 side all day, every day, no exceptions. City losing to Wigan you can understand. At least they're in the same division! (well, were)

2nd Bolded part - Why is that? I've been hearing this statement for many years about our team. Why has the problem of mental strength not been fixed? We've seen a big change in the team since 2008 til now. Many key players gone, others brought in, yet we're still lacking mental strength, apparently. Surely it's time to start asking questions about Wenger in this area, no?
    i think our current crop of players have grown in mental rstrength as the season has gone on. Bradford was abysmal, but for us to have closed the gap and overtake tottenham took alot of perseverance.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.