Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    All the best with moving in!

Sooo, what do we all think to the sacking of David Moyes? I said it right from the word go, in my opinion, it was all a Fergie plot, and Moyes was never meant to succeed
    I think it's ridiculous. Moyes won 18 in his first season with Man U, Ferguson won 12. You can't expect him to build success when he's not given enough time to build his own squad, the blueprint he left at Everton is a quality squad, sure he'd have done the same at ManU if he had time to make more additions. As for Giggs, good players rarely make good managers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    All the best with moving in!

Sooo, what do we all think to the sacking of David Moyes? I said it right from the word go, in my opinion, it was all a Fergie plot, and Moyes was never meant to succeed
    Thanks!

If Fergie wanted Moyes to succeed he would have told the owner to bring in a **** guy for a year, sack him and then bring in Moyes when expectations were lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    I think it's ridiculous. Moyes won 18 in his first season with Man U, Ferguson won 12. You can't expect him to build success when he's not given enough time to build his own squad, the blueprint he left at Everton is a quality squad, sure he'd have done the same at ManU if he had time to make more additions. As for Giggs, good players rarely make good managers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    His Everton squad was pretty naff. Moyes isn't a good manager, he's an average manager, with a strong personality. And I think that's precisely what Fergie wanted. Someone to come in, fail, make Fergie look even better, get sacked after a year or 2, then bring in a top quality manager with no shadow lurking behind him, and give him the chance to push Man Utd on.

Which is basically what's happened, just that Moyes was catastrophically worse than Fergie had anticipated.

ReputationRep:
    Had to go. Utterly failed this season. Still rate him as a manager though.

ReputationRep:
    If Ole Gunnar saves Cardiff then i could see him being given the chance.

ReputationRep:
    I think David Moyes should have been given the chance to win the Johnstone's Paint Trophy before getting the sack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    bookies reckon Van Gaal is already a done deal to replace him after the world cup with Holland

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think David Moyes should have been given the chance to win the Johnstone's Paint Trophy before getting the sack.
    A funny competition is the JPT. I can't bring myself to ever mildly care about it until you reach the regions semi-finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    Absolutely no chance.
    This. If they wanted to employ a former player, they have plenty of more experienced ones to choose, or stick with Giggs. Absolutely no way OGS will be the new manager.

ReputationRep:
    Statement from TSR UKIP:

Following on from this discussion, we at TSR UKIP are attempting to appoint David Moyes as our new Party manager, after he managed to get Man Utd out of Europe in under a year!

(Apologies for repeating/modifying slightly) a joke that lots of you may have already seen
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    Statement from TSR UKIP:

Following on from this discussion, we at TSR UKIP are attempting to appoint David Moyes as our new Party manager, after he managed to get Man Utd out of Europe in under a year!

(Apologies for repeating/modifying slightly) a joke that lots of you may have already seen
    :laugh: love it.

Feel sorry for moyes, inherited a very weak (by man utd standards) squad and couldn't strengthen properly for a variety of reasons (didn't seem the board wanted to support him).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    :laugh: love it.

Feel sorry for moyes, inherited a very weak (by man utd standards) squad and couldn't strengthen properly for a variety of reasons (didn't seem the board wanted to support him).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ferguson never wanted him to succeed. That's how I viewed his appointment, and I stick to that belief now.
    He wasn't able to strengthen properly, but he did spend nigh on £70m - so he can't come out completely blameless!
    But it was clear the players weren't going to play for him, and like you say, he never seemed to have the full backing of the board

ReputationRep:
    I have no sympathy for him, he could have bought Fellaini for £4mill less, didn't. He spent the summer looking at Fabregas, Baines, Herrera when he should have bought Garay, (7mill?) Strootman (15mill) realistic players. Now we're going to have get them outside the Champions League. Van Gaal is a cert, I tweeted I'd love for Solskjaer to work in some capacity. Quieroz is a rumour, Simeone? No chance.

What sunk it for me was when he spent 90 mins crossing against Fulham, or was it when in the interview he admitted he was afraid to take RVP off, or was it when he said we played "well" and lost to Liverpool? Maybe when he said going 2-1 down to Bayern was the nail in the coffin? Or deciding not to play wingers against the best fullbacks in the league?

He deserves another go in the Premier League, as stated Newcastle seems a likely destination.

My favourite stat is the when we play Norwich, the managers will have been in charge for a combined total of 25 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Statement from TSR UKIP:

I'm sure UKIP will be delighted as well that it will very likely be a foreigner taking this man's job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I have no sympathy for him, he could have bought Fellaini for £4mill less, didn't. He spent the summer looking at Fabregas, Baines, Herrera when he should have bought Garay, (7mill?) Strootman (15mill) realistic players. Now we're going to have get them outside the Champions League. Van Gaal is a cert, I tweeted I'd love for Solskjaer to work in some capacity. Quieroz is a rumour, Simeone? No chance.

What sunk it for me was when he spent 90 mins crossing against Fulham, or was it when in the interview he admitted he was afraid to take RVP off, or was it when he said we played "well" and lost to Liverpool? Maybe when he said going 2-1 down to Bayern was the nail in the coffin? Or deciding not to play wingers against the best fullbacks in the league?

He deserves another go in the Premier League, as stated Newcastle seems a likely destination.

My favourite stat is the when we play Norwich, the managers will have been in charge for a combined total of 25 days.
    agree with all of this, as I posted in the Moyes thread I reckon Van Gaal is a good replacement as well, he isn't a long term one but for the next few years I think he is the right choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Ferguson never wanted him to succeed. That's how I viewed his appointment, and I stick to that belief now.
    He wasn't able to strengthen properly, but he did spend nigh on £70m - so he can't come out completely blameless!
    But it was clear the players weren't going to play for him, and like you say, he never seemed to have the full backing of the board
    I always thought Moyes was overrated and that Man U made the mistake of placing loyalty (somebody who would be there in a decade) above ability when actually you see in people like Mouriniho that loyalty can come later.

I don't think the players are at fault, i think that Moyes simply never got a grip on strategy and made mistakes. In my opinion (and backed by goals conceded) their defense is actually fine but they need 2 new good midfielders and to sell Van Persie. You simply can't play him, Rooney and Wellbeck together in positions where they work well and ultimately Rooney does far more work than Van Persie who's more of a normal striker and arguably Wellbeck plays better when linked with Rooney than Van Persie who really doesn't play well with Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Moyes was overrated and that Man U made the mistake of placing loyalty (somebody who would be there in a decade) above ability when actually you see in people like Mouriniho that loyalty can come later.

I don't think the players are at fault, i think that Moyes simply never got a grip on strategy and made mistakes. In my opinion (and backed by goals conceded) their defense is actually fine but they need 2 new good midfielders and to sell Van Persie. You simply can't play him, Rooney and Wellbeck together in positions where they work well and ultimately Rooney does far more work than Van Persie who's more of a normal striker and arguably Wellbeck plays better when linked with Rooney than Van Persie who really doesn't play well with Rooney.
    Rooneys been very poor since he signed that contract, he refuses to play as a 9, thus if we play 4-2-3-1, we need Chicha/Welbeck/RVP as that one. On top of that he's a ball hog and has been going for glory passes when the simple pass is on. RVP is for now still a 30 goal a season striker if he is injury free - speed also isn't a key part of his play so age wouldn't be a factor like for Rooney. I suspect if we get van Gaal RVP will improve as well.

Agree about Mourinho unfortunately, especially since I wanted the Glazers to appoint him instead of Moyes in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Rooneys been very poor since he signed that contract, he refuses to play as a 9, thus if we play 4-2-3-1, we need Chicha/Welbeck/RVP as that one. On top of that he's a ball hog and has been going for glory passes when the simple pass is on. RVP is for now still a 30 goal a season striker if he is injury free - speed also isn't a key part of his play so age wouldn't be a factor like for Rooney. I suspect if we get van Gaal RVP will improve as well.

Agree about Mourinho unfortunately, especially since I wanted the Glazers to appoint him instead of Moyes in the first place.
    I disagree. I like the fact that Rooney actually works and can hold possession, i just don't think he links with RVP very well.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney struggles when he isn't fully fit, he's not long back from injury hence his poor form in recent games, before that he was doing very well, from an England point of view we need Rooney to find his feet in the last few league games ready for the summer and then stay injury free.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.