The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nECS
St Andrews pretty nice for physics so far, just started there this year! :smile:

Oh how fantastic!! I was working in the chemistry department there all summer.
My physics teacher and two chemistry teachers studied there and it sounds like a dream!
How are you getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinDy
My first choice is actually St Andrews, I love it so much!
Where are you applying and best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, it's so nice there! I went up for an open day around Easter but unfortunately they don't offer engineering :frown:
I'm applying for Strathclyde (x2), Glasgow, Sheffield and Imperial, first choice is Strathclyde :biggrin:
Reply 2522
Oh how fantastic!! I was working in the chemistry department there all summer.
My physics teacher and two chemistry teachers studied there and it sounds like a dream!
How are you getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's really nice! I started out as the classic oxford reject haha but frankly I'm thinking that i'm going to enjoy my time here much more than I would have had I got in down south, I already love it here - I'm in DRAges away which is a bit of a trek - but my flat is absolutely brilliant when you think that it's student accomodation. The workload is actually fairly high already - i'm taking physics, maths and astro - so that's to be expected I guess, but I'm fairly glad I didn't take them up on the offer of 2nd year entry!
Original post by nECS
Yeah it's really nice! I started out as the classic oxford reject haha but frankly I'm thinking that i'm going to enjoy my time here much more than I would have had I got in down south, I already love it here - I'm in DRAges away which is a bit of a trek - but my flat is absolutely brilliant when you think that it's student accomodation. The workload is actually fairly high already - i'm taking physics, maths and astro - so that's to be expected I guess, but I'm fairly glad I didn't take them up on the offer of 2nd year entry!

But there's a bus from DRA isn't there?
I know I'll get rejected from Cambridge however I really like St Andrews so here's to hoping they accept me!
I've applied for the chem/phys joint honours which will be one hell of a workload but that doesn't phase me.
I hope you do really well; it sounds like it's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenladybird
Aw, it's so nice there! I went up for an open day around Easter but unfortunately they don't offer engineering :frown:
I'm applying for Strathclyde (x2), Glasgow, Sheffield and Imperial, first choice is Strathclyde :biggrin:

I was at that open day too! Strathclyde is apparently excellent for engineering. I two friends who spent a week at Strathclyde and they said it was a lovely place to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was at that open day too! Strathclyde is apparently excellent for engineering. I two friends who spent a week at Strathclyde and they said it was a lovely place to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah first in Scotland!
Was that for headstart or the space school programme?
Reply 2526
But there's a bus from DRA isn't there?
I know I'll get rejected from Cambridge however I really like St Andrews so here's to hoping they accept me!
I've applied for the chem/phys joint honours which will be one hell of a workload but that doesn't phase me.
I hope you do really well; it sounds like it's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ehh the bus isn't that great, doesn't really get you to the physics building in time for those lovely 9am maths lectures. Yeah i'm considering changing to maths/phys when I get to honours - we shall see if I still like maths as much in a couple of years! If you've got the grades for cambridge st andrews will almost certainly accept you, I got an unconditional off of the 5As at higher, so I'm presuming you probably will too. Have you got an entrance test to get through for cambridge?
Yeah first in Scotland!
Was that for headstart or the space school programme?

Space school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nECS
Ehh the bus isn't that great, doesn't really get you to the physics building in time for those lovely 9am maths lectures. Yeah i'm considering changing to maths/phys when I get to honours - we shall see if I still like maths as much in a couple of years! If you've got the grades for cambridge st andrews will almost certainly accept you, I got an unconditional off of the 5As at higher, so I'm presuming you probably will too. Have you got an entrance test to get through for cambridge?

I have to be interviewed, the interview will contain questions based on science and maths but they should be reasonable. I am more inclined towards the course I've chosen at St Andrews than Cambridge so here's to hoping I get an unconditional!
I would have thought the uni would have sorted it with the bus company that there are some lectures at 9am. Oh well, do you have a bike there? What's the maths like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was there :smile: Good chance I'll know them haha
I was there :smile: Good chance I'll know them haha

How fantastic! Ross and Heather from Kinross? I applied however I think it was only two acceptances per school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How fantastic! Ross and Heather from Kinross? I applied however I think it was only two acceptances per school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know them both! It's weird how it works out, I think last year there was 5 from one school. I was the only applicant from my school :cool: ...mainly because the teachers didn't know anything about it haha
Reply 2532
I have to be interviewed, the interview will contain questions based on science and maths but they should be reasonable. I am more inclined towards the course I've chosen at St Andrews than Cambridge so here's to hoping I get an unconditional!
I would have thought the uni would have sorted it with the bus company that there are some lectures at 9am. Oh well, do you have a bike there? What's the maths like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not really investigated the bus that much, but it would only get you into town so distance to the physics building is comparable to the distance from DRA anyway :P, I've got a bike but in the morning the cycle track is so packed it's practically slower than walking - very useful for going to labs and stuff in the afternoon though! The maths is pretty fun atm, i'm doing the module that requires a B at AH so it's not too basic which is good - we get different lecturers for different parts of the course so at the moment we've been getting complex numbers, hyperbolic functions and limits of functions. The complex numbers is basically just a rehash of AH but they have added some stuff in like Euler's formula and some more applications like resolving series and integration so it's ok. The other stuff isn't completely new but it wasn't in AH so my grip on it was tenuous at best, so it's been quite interesting and exciting. The complex number lecturer is about to move onto matrices so hopefully we get some new stuff from outwith AH or that could be kind of dull :/

Well, in case you hadn't guessed by the fact that I just spewed out a freaking essay I'm still quite keen on the old mathematics so it's obviously been ok so far! :biggrin:
Original post by nECS
I've not really investigated the bus that much, but it would only get you into town so distance to the physics building is comparable to the distance from DRA anyway :P, I've got a bike but in the morning the cycle track is so packed it's practically slower than walking - very useful for going to labs and stuff in the afternoon though! The maths is pretty fun atm, i'm doing the module that requires a B at AH so it's not too basic which is good - we get different lecturers for different parts of the course so at the moment we've been getting complex numbers, hyperbolic functions and limits of functions. The complex numbers is basically just a rehash of AH but they have added some stuff in like Euler's formula and some more applications like resolving series and integration so it's ok. The other stuff isn't completely new but it wasn't in AH so my grip on it was tenuous at best, so it's been quite interesting and exciting. The complex number lecturer is about to move onto matrices so hopefully we get some new stuff from outwith AH or that could be kind of dull :/

Well, in case you hadn't guessed by the fact that I just spewed out a freaking essay I'm still quite keen on the old mathematics so it's obviously been ok so far! :biggrin:

I absolutely adore maths! I've had mixed experiences with it in school but after higher I loved it; advanced higher is right up my street and I revise at least an hour a day. I think that'll really help when I reach uni, especially with physics. Which degree are you doing? MPhys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I know them both! It's weird how it works out, I think last year there was 5 from one school. I was the only applicant from my school :cool: ...mainly because the teachers didn't know anything about it haha

I heard it was an absolutely amazing experience. I would have loved to go, it would have really suited me. Even right now I'm standing outside my house having into space with my telescope.
Did you enjoy it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard it was an absolutely amazing experience. I would have loved to go, it would have really suited me. Even right now I'm standing outside my house having into space with my telescope.
Did you enjoy it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meanwhile I'm just attempting to do chemistry while watching Doctor Who haha.
Yeah, it was absolutely incredible! I'm of the 10 for the JSC/KSC trip - it's gonna be even more amazing!! :h:
Reply 2536
I absolutely adore maths! I've had mixed experiences with it in school but after higher I loved it; advanced higher is right up my street and I revise at least an hour a day. I think that'll really help when I reach uni, especially with physics. Which degree are you doing? MPhys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, MPhys. I'm thinking about maybe going for MMathPhys once I get to honours but not sure yet.
edit: I'm not actually sure if that's what it's called, I think it's still MPhys but with mathematics? not sure :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Meanwhile I'm just attempting to do chemistry while watching Doctor Who haha.
Yeah, it was absolutely incredible! I'm of the 10 for the JSC/KSC trip - it's gonna be even more amazing!! :h:

No way!! That's absolutely incredible! Must be a phenomenal feeling. When are you going? I would be unable to contain my excitement if I were you; you're going to be living the dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
No way!! That's absolutely incredible! Must be a phenomenal feeling. When are you going? I would be unable to contain my excitement if I were you; you're going to be living the dream

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually so weird thinking that from the original 400 I'm actually in final 10!:eek:
It's at the end of this month, it's 3 weeks today until we fly out actually!!
I'm buzzing for it, apart from the jet lag on the way home...we come back to Glasgow on Sunday morning, and I'll have to be in school the next day for peer tutoring. I'll end up punching the first years tbh
It's actually so weird thinking that from the original 400 I'm actually in final 10!:eek:
It's at the end of this month, it's 3 weeks today until we fly out actually!!
I'm buzzing for it, apart from the jet lag on the way home...we come back to Glasgow on Sunday morning, and I'll have to be in school the next day for peer tutoring. I'll end up punching the first years tbh

Ah no! How awful. However you can probably distract them with stories about America and all the incredible things you did. Perhaps turn one or two into enthusiasts! Do you know what you're doing when you're out there?
All sounds insanely exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending