Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    Ah fair, a gap year at ibm would defo look good! Yeah it's nice to discuss this option, I think you should fancy your chances with 4A*s at a-level it would be a joke to not let you in, I'm defo gonna work hard to get the best grades just so I have the option of reapplying. My problem is that my grades were pretty good but my interview wasn't great, so there's always the chance of it not going my way again. Your mate is a g!! ������ I guess my underlying thought is that if going somewhere like UCL will get me into the career I want, I might aswell just go there but forgoing the once in a lifetime experience of Oxbridge would be depressing, but I guess student life in London would be so sick aswell
    UCL is pretty good!You'd have a pretty good career!I hope I get to work as an Economist in the public sector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    UCL is pretty good!You'd have a pretty good career!I hope I get to work as an Economist in the public sector
    Exactly, I need to keep reminding myself how good ucl is! Tbf I reckon that's be pretty interesting actually, judging what policies to do and when

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, I need to keep reminding myself how good ucl is! Tbf I reckon that's be pretty interesting actually, judging what policies to do and when
    I bet I'd be the first Economist not interested in Investment Banking!I'd really love to work with the government!
    Well I hope I do get a Warwick offer!It is my best uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmeg)
    Which College?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pembroke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789tom789)
    Pembroke
    Pretty sure that's my cambridge college's sister college at oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Pretty sure that's my cambridge college's sister college at oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that confused me haha, but cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789tom789)
    Wow that confused me haha, but cool
    I don't even know what it means ahaha

ReputationRep:
    Any one got offers from Loughborough or Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    I bet I'd be the first Economist not interested in Investment Banking!I'd really love to work with the government!
    Haha you're a rare species haha, good luck with Warwick!!

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm not interested in IB, it's a declining industry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm not interested in IB, it's a declining industry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But them Starting Salaries Tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayowapops)
    True but it's not all about money, I'd love to be a financial/economic journalist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayowapops)
    I saw an article that said if you take into account the amount of hours worked, the hourly wage is less than McDonald's

I guess there's bonuses and that but you'd have to deal with the constant stress and low job security... most don't make it past two years.

ReputationRep:
    why do people think ib is declining? I'm not well versed on this but i'd have thought age old institutions like Goldman would diversify their services in order to survive? one financial crisis doesn't ruin an industry but idk

ReputationRep:
    why do people think ib is declining? I'm not well versed on this but i'd have thought age old institutions like Goldman would diversify their services in order to survive? one financial crisis doesn't ruin an industry but idk
    Nah I know of people who've had to leave the industry in recent years, its hay day appears to be over imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah I know of people who've had to leave the industry in recent years, its hay day appears to be over imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    true, I guess as an industry it expands in a bull market and contracts in a bear

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair, a gap year at ibm would defo look good! Yeah it's nice to discuss this option, I think you should fancy your chances with 4A*s at a-level it would be a joke to not let you in, I'm defo gonna work hard to get the best grades just so I have the option of reapplying. My problem is that my grades were pretty good but my interview wasn't great, so there's always the chance of it not going my way again. Your mate is a g!! 😎 I guess my underlying thought is that if going somewhere like UCL will get me into the career I want, I might aswell just go there but forgoing the once in a lifetime experience of Oxbridge would be depressing, but I guess student life in London would be so sick aswell
    If you were good enough to be called for interview this year then I'm sure you'll be good enough to get one if you reapplied, which would give you the chance to learn from this years experience and perform better next year. I'm sure you're more than capable of getting further next year man so it could be worth a shot in your case. Loooooool my mate is living the life, his IG is full of fancy restaurants and views from Canary Wharf. You're right about UCL tho. I guess we're really similar in that we both know UCL would be great but we don't want to miss out on Oxbridge, but then again we know London social life would be maaaaad 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    If you were good enough to be called for interview this year then I'm sure you'll be good enough to get one if you reapplied, which would give you the chance to learn from this years experience and perform better next year. I'm sure you're more than capable of getting further next year man so it could be worth a shot in your case. Loooooool my mate is living the life, his IG is full of fancy restaurants and views from Canary Wharf. You're right about UCL tho. I guess we're really similar in that we both know UCL would be great but we don't want to miss out on Oxbridge, but then again we know London social life would be maaaaad 😂
    Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence 😂😂😂 tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl 🍻

ReputationRep:
    Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl
    Hi lads,

In exactly the same position. Rejected from Oxford, and now considering gap year + US application if i get 3A*'s

Is it even possible for candidates to take a gap year and then go to America?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know roughly when I should expect to hear back from UCL by, given that I applied on 20th October?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.