Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan_notfox)
    Also,

How do I add my university degree on UCAS... is it the same as adding A-levels? In the search box I typed in Master of Science and it came up with Degree (UK Masters). Is that okay? And I am not sure what to put in the Awarding Organisation section. Sorry for the silly questions!
    Also, do I have to put down every single module I did? Cheers!
    I think mine just said degree, i put the uni as awarding organisation, ididnt put modules but some people have

ReputationRep:
    Heya!

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether it is a bad thing to say negative things about yourself in the personal statement? I don't mean really bad things, but I wanted to mention that I am going to undertake a masters in neuroscience, where I will work with brain tissue and hope to overcome my reluctance to work with cadavers (in a more elegant way ).

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyftii)
    Heya!

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether it is a bad thing to say negative things about yourself in the personal statement? I don't mean really bad things, but I wanted to mention that I am going to undertake a masters in neuroscience, where I will work with brain tissue and hope to overcome my reluctance to work with cadavers (in a more elegant way ).

Thanks!
    I don't think that's really a negative but more a problem that you have identified and are working to resolve.

ReputationRep:
    Heya!

Thanks!
    Better to say "in which I will gain experience in working with cadavers" or something rather than putting yourself down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i feel like the question i want to ask has already been asked but there's so many posts i don't want to do that, so sorry if this has already been asked:

For the oxford application a supplementary statement is required, do we just hand in our personal statement that we have on UCAS or is this statement specific for oxford, i know it says mention your name and a101, but what else? Because my personal statement is suited for oxford but it doesn't directly apply to them, as i will be using the same statement for other uni's. So i was wondering what is the consortium on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mind)
    Hi everyone, i feel like the question i want to ask has already been asked but there's so many posts i don't want to do that, so sorry if this has already been asked:

For the oxford application a supplementary statement is required, do we just hand in our personal statement that we have on UCAS or is this statement specific for oxford, i know it says mention your name and a101, but what else? Because my personal statement is suited for oxford but it doesn't directly apply to them, as i will be using the same statement for other uni's. So i was wondering what is the consortium on this?
    I used my ucas one as a base and edited it to say what it was in particular that made me apply to Oxford. don't forget all your references must be sent in before 15th Oct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharma21)
    Does any one know if Glasgow look at ukcat a lot or are they more lenient?Also do they prefer Scottish applicants over English? Thinking of putting their five year course down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I rang Glasgow Monday to see if my degree meant I didn't need a levels (which thankfully it does). I also asked about the ukcat. Last year the lowest successful applicant got 2630. I got 2600 this year and she said that might be enough depending on other peoples scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickname_esco)
    Ive offically given up hope guys. Kings want 720 or they said dont both to me. Newcastle also emailed me saying without 730 i wont be conpetivie.

Then southamptons admisiions officer told ne to not waste my applivation as i had not got 730.

I feel like ive been shot three times. All my hopes lie on one uni now
    I'm not convinced by this - how can they possibly know until everyone has applied? If you got emails from them, are you sure you didn't misinterpret it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikingkermit)
    I rang Glasgow Monday to see if my degree meant I didn't need a levels (which thankfully it does). I also asked about the ukcat. Last year the lowest successful applicant got 2630. I got 2600 this year and she said that might be enough depending on other peoples scores.
    Sorry but what is your degree? I am interested because I graduated from GU with Psychology and they were like oh no, Psychology is not a science, you need A levels It was a painful thing to hear

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what is your degree? I am interested because I graduated from GU with Psychology and they were like oh no, Psychology is not a science, you need A levels It was a painful thing to hear
    Adult Nursing, the stipulation is that your 1st degree needs to have enough chemistry involved in it. :-/

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone suggest another uni to try. I'm going to apply to Keele, Leicester and Glasgow. (All 5 year) Not sure where else to apply, are there any 4 year courses that I might stand a chance with?
    I got 2600 on the UKCAT breakdown,
    I've got a 2:1 honours degree in Adult Nursing and NO A levels.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikingkermit)
    Hi, can anyone suggest another uni to try. I'm going to apply to Keele, Leicester and Glasgow. (All 5 year) Not sure where else to apply, are there any 4 year courses that I might stand a chance with?
    I got 2600 on the UKCAT breakdown,
    I've got a 2:1 honours degree in Adult Nursing and NO A levels.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    your UKCAT is not really competitive enough for the 4-year courses and I think the non-exam 4-years normally need A-levels. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    sorry but that's not correct. Lots of uni's accept any degree topic including Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton. There are plenty of others I just cba to look them up as it is not relevant to me (I have a science degree)
    Absolutely- I have a classics degree and I've just started GEM at Southampton!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackraven)
    can someone else confirm this? I tried to do it and it wasn't possible. Plus, the last time I applied to medical school, I didn't have to do it
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    I was surprised by this, so i googled it, the general consensus was that you didnt need to, theres a whole thread on here about it but i cant renember where now
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    You don't have to do it. You enter your choices on the UKCAT website and they take care of it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The tweet is below and I contacted them directly as there was nothing on their website in regards to this and they confirmed it.
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sngm4t
    https://twitter.com/ucas_online/stat...83141020315648

"You'll need to include the UKCAT in the education section of the application. Whilst true that your choices will receive your results, they'll also need to see that you're registered to take the test *HC"

ReputationRep:
    I'm now confused about how to add the UKCAT to my UCAS form. So I graduated in June, but took the UKCAT in September. Do I still put the UKCAT under my uni in the education section? It just seems weird because I'm not still there and I didn't do it there and it's after my graduation date? I might message UCAS, but I already messaged them earlier with a stupid question and I don't want them thinking I'm an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    The tweet is below and I contacted them directly as there was nothing on their website in regards to this and they confirmed it.

"You'll need to include the UKCAT in the education section of the application. Whilst true that your choices will receive your results, they'll also need to see that you're registered to take the test *HC"
    Looks like I'm not getting in then, given ive sent it off.
    #lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)

Thanks for sharing, do you know how we add it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunkles)
    Looks like I'm not getting in then, given ive sent it off.
    #lol
    I'm sure it'll be fine, I imagine that a lot of people will have done the same (I almost did!) and they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll contact you to check? Plus there's conflicting information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerSunshine)
    I'm sure it'll be fine, I imagine that a lot of people will have done the same (I almost did!) and they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll contact you to check? Plus there's conflicting information.
    I agree there is conflicting information, they could have made it clearer. I think the most important thing is giving UKCAT your UCAS personal ID and university choices.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.