Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used the version of this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Sch...ords=ukcat+600 that was out in the year that I did my UKCAT and oh my gosh it was amazing. The questions were generally harder than the actual exam so it made it so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Looks really good, well done How did you prep if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Looks really good, well done How did you prep if you don't mind me asking?
    I basically just answered as many practice questions as possible - e.g. Medify, 1200 question book by Admissions Tutor.

To be honest it's hardly worth preparing for the QR bit ... it was literally just like work out the mean / percentage changes in a table. Better to focus on verbal reasoning which is a little more tricky (at least I found this).

Also scrap the 1000q book. The questions are too hard, not realistic and quite frankly demoralising when you do it ... apart from the situation judgement questions.

So on Medify and Kaplan online courses, they have these practice tests/mocks for UKCAT, after which they give you a score out of 900 like in the real thing; how closely matched are these predictions (from Kaplan as well as Medify) to the real test, if anyone has any experiences they could mention?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_doctor_)
    honestly I think I just got unlucky on the day tbh
    my timing was right on the dot but medify AR was A LOT EASIER. Honestly for everyone doing AR try and find harder versions or use UKCAT website because medify will put you in a false sense of security
    Personally i found the Medify AR harder by far

(Original post by future_doctor_)
    loooool thank you
    do you think I should bother applying to QMUL or not?
    Look at their scoring and decide for yourself
    from what I've heard, QMUL aren't particularly UKCAT heavy, so your UKCAT should definitely be good enough

(Original post by saharahasnolife)
    Hi,

I did my UKCAT and I got a 733 average which I am quite pleased with. However, I did get 590 on the verbal reasoning section. Does this cause me any disadvantage when applying to medicine at any universities? Do any universities look at the section scores separately?

I want to apply to King's College London, do you think an average of 733 (with a 590 in VR) is okay for me to do that?
    First of all, congratulations on your score! It's amazing! Most universities don't really care about the individual scores, but only really about the total score, and even for the universities that do care (Plymouth, can't think of any others right now), your VR will still be good enough

ReputationRep:
    Someone please help. Just did the mini mocks from Medify and across all of them I got an average of 600. My test is on the 19th and I feel like I don't know nothing even though I have been practising for the UKCAT pretty much for 2 months now. The only other choice I have is to reschedule for the 24th but I don't feel like that will make a difference plus I have so much school work to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    Mine was actually harder than the 1000Q book!
    Omg dunno what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    Mine was actually harder than the 1000Q book!
    can i ask the reason why its harder? the only issue i have is with the passages that require a full understanding and alot of inference where u cant just scan, is there a lot of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanaro)
    Firstly, thank you ever so much for reading this. I sat the UKCAT earlier today and got the following:

VR: 680
    QR: 850
    AR: 670
    SJ: Band 1
    Average: 733

How competitive a score is this in relation to others and what universities would most favour it? Also how much do universities look at the situational judgement?

Thanks again...
    Hey i have been trying to preapre for the worst for VR as everyone is saying but can i ask WHY people are finding it hard? your score is very good in it so was wondering if you thought it was ridiculous and why people are finding it so hard as its already my weak spot so worries me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Someone please help. Just did the mini mocks from Medify and across all of them I got an average of 600. My test is on the 19th and I feel like I don't know nothing even though I have been practising for the UKCAT pretty much for 2 months now. The only other choice I have is to reschedule for the 24th but I don't feel like that will make a difference plus I have so much school work to do.
    First off relax don't let the stress get to you. If you think the extra time will help you collect yourself and remain composed then I'd recommend for you to reschedule. Just for reference a friend of mine got into Bart's and the London with a UKCAT of 2430, but bear in mind these practice tests are often harder than the actual test so do cut yourself some slack.

Remember this whole thing is still in your hands, so it's better to take it when you're ready than to do it and kick yourself afterwards.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard82)
    First off relax don't let the stress get to you. If you think the extra time will help you collect yourself and remain composed then I'd recommend for you to reschedule. Just for reference a friend of mine got into Bart's and the London with a UKCAT of 2430, but bear in mind these practice tests are often harder than the actual test so do cut yourself some slack.

Remember this whole thing is still in your hands, so it's better to take it when you're ready than to do it and kick yourself afterwards.

Hope this helps
    Thank you very much. Have you taken the UKCAT. If you did, how did you do in the mocks compared to the real thing? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    I got 600 on the mini-mocks too and felt quite upset and disappointed by it. But three days later and I just got 706.7 in the first full Medify Mock. Honestly, just highlight the things that brought it so low and then work on them. Just stay calm and perevere and I promise you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Hi, has anyone written the UKCAT this year? I am writing mine in a few weeks and still don't know what to expect though I have read the information on the UKCAT website.

ReputationRep:
    Title ^

Also do you get a handheld calculator or do you only have the online calculator as I saw some threads form years ago where they got handheld calculators as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard82)

Hope this helps
    That's amazing! Barts is one of my main choices... Do you know how many a level/ ib subjects your friend took?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!!!!

Hope all the hard work pays off.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that medify is easier than the real thing for AR?

ReputationRep:
    How does the UKCAT compare to official online practice tests?

Also do you get a handheld calculator or do you only have the online calculator as I saw some threads form years ago where they got handheld calculators as well.

ReputationRep:
    I havent sat it yet btu you definitely NEED to use medify.com. That's a really good website that people on here keep talking about. It's set up really similarlry to the real exam so you can get a good feel for it. There is also the 1000Q book that people say is good and I thought it was decent but a bit difficult tbh. And also consider checking out completemedguide.com which has good tips in general and talks about how to revise. The official ukcat stuff I personally thought was good (since its official lol...) but the more stuff the better.

I'm trying to do 1 practice test every few days and I feel i know enough about what to expect now. Butas it gets closer to the exam I'll prob start stressing more

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.