Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Name:  *****.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  46.7 KB
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Right.

How about invasive?
    Perhaps. But he didn't have to reply. I'm just some stranger on the internet.

Personally, I find my sexuality (or lack of) a lot less of a deal than sharing my picture on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    You look quite a lot like Heath Ledger in your pics :sexface:

So cute
    Wait, what? I look like Heath Ledger? :lol:

Oh haha, just saw your edit. I was a bit like wtf...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    Wait, what? I look like Heath Ledger? :lol:

Thanks
    Rofl, no sorry, the quote didn't work.

That was to Rob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I thought I sensed that .

I identify as straight but I like guys only and the D.
    How are you straight if you're a male, like guys and the D? :confused:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    How are you straight if you're a male, like guys and the D? :confused:
    I'm not though I am slightly mocking people who self-identify as wacky sexualities despite clearly being something else and wanting to be special.

I myself used to say I was bisexual and homoflexible. I also used to think I was asexual .

ReputationRep:
    Name:  *****.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  46.7 KB

Perhaps. But he didn't have to reply. I'm just some stranger on the internet.

Personally, I find my sexuality (or lack of) a lot less of a deal than sharing my picture on here.

That may be so, but it's not YOUR sexuality in question here. You'd think that gay people would have respect for those types of questions but no, not you, you just HAVE to know because the question tickles your fancy, right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    That may be so, but it's not YOUR sexuality in question here. You'd think that gay people would have respect for those types of questions but no, not you, you just HAVE to know because the question tickles your fancy, right?
    Hey, I just asked a question.

I am an orphan and it hurts my feelings a little when people ask if I'm spending time with parents for christmas but it doesn't mean I get offended over it. An inquiry is not homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just asked a question.

I am an orphan and it hurts my feelings a little when people ask if I'm spending time with parents for christmas but it doesn't mean I get offended over it. An inquiry is not homophobia.

It's none of your business, that's the point.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    It's none of your business, that's the point.
    But nothing is my business really. I ask someone "how are you" and they could say I'm not entitled to know how they're feeling.

My question wasn't inherently offensive imo (few things are) and the person to whom the question was directed didn't indicate they minded. I see no harm done.

ReputationRep:
    But nothing is my business really. I ask someone "how are you" and they could say I'm not entitled to know how they're feeling.

My question wasn't inherently offensive imo (few things are) and the person to whom the question was directed didn't indicate they minded. I see no harm done.

So take it as future refrence then, don't go around asking people that, like it is as common and meaningless as the old "how are you" question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    You're disrespectful as ****.
    Chill your turbo thrusters, captain.

The angst in this thread is already near the maximum threshold.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Name:  12088015_540961736061434_2501692205206826496_n.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.3 KB

So take it as future refrence then, don't go around asking people that, like it is as common and meaningless as the old "how are you" question.
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying that there are few questions which are inherently offensive as offence tends to be taken and not given.
    You can't be offended in his behalf and it is up to him to decide whether whether my question was inappropriate or not. But no, it's not a question I generally ask although I wouldn't mind being asked myself. It depends on the context. I would feel nervous if asked accusingly by a big guy in a testosterone fuelled environment.

You need only look at this list to see that there's some disparity between what some people consider to be harassing speech or behaviour compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  12088015_540961736061434_2501692205206826496_n.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.3 KB

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying that there are few questions which are inherently offensive as offence tends to be taken and not given.
    You can't be offended in his behalf and it is up to him to decide whether whether my question was inappropriate or not. But no, it's not a question I generally ask although I wouldn't mind being asked myself. It depends on the context. I would feel nervous if asked accusingly by a big guy in a testosterone fuelled environment.

You need only look at this list to see that there's some disparity between what some people consider to be harassing speech or behaviour compared to others.
    I'm not "offended on his behalf", I'm pointing out indecent behaviour, that's all. What if he had been "in the closet" and felt outed by your very PUBLIC question? (I know he wasn't but as I said, this is for future reference)
    I cannot see how you don't think it's not a problem to ask.
    That list is about women and is hardly exhaustive.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I'm not "offended on his behalf", I'm pointing out indecent behaviour, that's all. What if he had been "in the closet" and felt outed by your very PUBLIC question? (I know he wasn't but as I said, this is for future reference)
    I cannot see how you don't think it's not a problem to ask.
    That list is about women and is hardly exhaustive.
    Then he would simply deny it. Someone always might be "something". Perhaps you're sensitive to my particular question for various reasons...but as you don't know what feelings people may have, you can't second guess yourself. Again, I bring up people and their questions which assume I've parents despite their lack of them. Just as I am not offended as I know they couldn't possibly know then how am I to know he's closeted?

I appreciate your perspective which is why I don't go around asking invasive questions irl (I have asperger's so I have had some accidents in past years) but I don't feel similarly about semi-anonymous online accounts.

I quoted the list because I disagree that at least some of the things are harassment. Like being offended when ignored, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Then he would simply deny it. Someone always might be "something". Perhaps you're sensitive to my particular question for various reasons...but as you don't know what feelings people may have, you can't second guess yourself. Again, I bring up people and their questions which assume I've parents despite their lack of them. Just as I am not offended as I know they couldn't possibly know then how am I to know he's closeted?

I appreciate your perspective which is why I don't go around asking invasive questions irl (I have asperger's so I have had some accidents in past years) but I don't feel similarly about semi-anonymous online accounts.

I quoted the list because I disagree that at least some of the things are harassment. Like being offended when ignored, for example.

No wonder I feel like I'm going in circles with you, you're an aspie, take it from someone who is not, don't ask people that question unless you know that. You do realise you're really asking "who do you have sex with, males or females or both?" Your no parents comparison cannot be compared to the level of invasion this question brings.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jessicalw23)
    Attachment 503381
    Wow, you look great

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    No wonder I feel like I'm going in circles with you, you're an aspie, take it from someone who is not, don't ask people that question unless you know that. You do realise you're really asking "who do you have sex with, males or females or both?" Your no parents comparison cannot be compared to the level of invasion this question brings.
    I'm not asking that, no, because you don't necessarily have sex with those you're attracted to. I understand what you're saying. I just disagree. My having aspergers does not make me thick. I could feel offended by your implication :rolleyes:. But I am less sensitive than most for other reasons.

When someone asks "do you have a girlfriend?", they aren't asking "is there a woman you're having sex with". When they ask "do you think you'll have kids?", they aren't asking "do you and your girlfriend have sex without a comdom".

My question was what it was - a simple inquiry - and not a euphemism for anything more invasive.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.