Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pupmaster2020)
    FYI Blackfriars Chambers: I applied through Gateway in 2015. Heard nothing. Called chambers - was fobbed off with excuses by clerks. Gateway status remained as applied.

In February this year I received a text inviting me to interview. At interview they were quite rude and offered no explanation let alone an apology.

They then rejected by silence......I called and was fobbed off by clerks again. That was 10 months after applying.

Hope those who applied this year receive better treatment.
    I had exactly the same treatment and the interview was offered with three days notice - not a fair turnaround when I live outside London and they had waited an extra 10 months or so.

If you've applied this year I would be very conscious of the fact you may not hear anything for months. If I did it again I would put them out of my mind - that way if you hear before it's a fantastic bonus but if not then you're not constantly worrying about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeebar)
    Wow, torture...! All I want to do now is go home! (..Or not, because I haven't had a call, hence probably a rejection letter waiting for me too..)

Commiserations - they seemed to be interviewing a huge amount of people for one pupillage, so don't let it knock you!
    It is definitely disappointing as I thought the interview itself actually went quite well.. But thank you anyway, that's really nice of you to say. Best of luck to you and your applications!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experience of 1 Gray's Inn Square first round interview?

Website says it's an advocacy exercise- If anyone knows whether it's a plea in mit/bail app or non legal exercise that would be appreciated.

Reply on thread or DM would be great

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    FYI Blackfriars Chambers: I applied through Gateway in 2015. Heard nothing. Called chambers - was fobbed off with excuses by clerks. Gateway status remained as applied.

In February this year I received a text inviting me to interview. At interview they were quite rude and offered no explanation let alone an apology.

They then rejected by silence......I called and was fobbed off by clerks again. That was 10 months after applying.

Wow, that is appalling, I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for the heads up though, it will certainly help me put them out of my mind. How is it they are able to get away with that sort of behaviour?

In other news, I have my first ever first round this evening, and I am very nervous. Aside from doing a bit of research on the Chambers, going over my application, and refreshing my mind on the BSB Handbook, I haven't really done much preparation as I don't know what to expect. They told me an ethics question and a topical/legal question. Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desvalido)
    It is definitely disappointing as I thought the interview itself actually went quite well.. But thank you anyway, that's really nice of you to say. Best of luck to you and your applications!
    Oh gosh - has anyone had a telephone / email to confirm a 2nd round place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SevenAteNine)
    Hi there. You ask a good question - I'd be grateful to read the answers you receive.

It's difficult to give specific advice given the huge variety between sets. Often second rounds are longer, there are more questions, more people on the panel, ethical problems and advocacy questions - some chambers send these in advance and some you get on the day of the interview.

So, to that regard, prep the basic legal tests in your selected field, be sure to know the elements required for successful applications. Check your advocacy handbooks, check the news, check that you know basic ethical principles, check Chambers' website and know your form inside and out... You will be specifically grilled on why you want to become a member of that chambers and whether or not you can hack life at the Bar. Maybe run some practice questions.

However, do take a moment to congratulate yourself in a small way for getting that far. By second round, you are clearly a strong applicant and have what it takes to make it. Second rounds are hard work and often exhausting, but it'll all be worth it in the end.
    Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! It was very kind of you to give me some advice.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an invite/rejection from Atlantic? I have seen a few rogue posts a few pages back saying invites have already been sent out but my GW still says applied. I am also waiting on Thirty Park Place - has anyone heard from them?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had a rejection from Field Court? I saw a few invites went out yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pupil2)
    Anyone had a rejection from Field Court? I saw a few invites went out yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I havent got a rejection or invite from them. Assuming rejections will be sent out later this week or next

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone with a Drystone 2nd round heard any more information than the email on Saturday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torvill)
    Has anyone received an invite/rejection from Atlantic? I have seen a few rogue posts a few pages back saying invites have already been sent out but my GW still says applied. I am also waiting on Thirty Park Place - has anyone heard from them?
    Nothing from 30PP as yet here either way, or from anyone else I know that applied.

ReputationRep:
    Atlantic had interviews this week i am afraid to say, keep going though!

ReputationRep:
    I also read something a while ago about Atlantic , however I received a call and email earlier today inviting me to first round interviews - I know they are offering two pupillage so could be that they have separated interviews.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legalsmeagol)
    Atlantic had interviews this week i am afraid to say, keep going though!
    Hi Legalsmeagol, May I ask which of the two pupillages you applied for with Atlantic? I guess you have had an interview this week, howeer I was invited to first round interviews earlier for Mid July so I guess they have split up the application process for the two.
    Hope your interview went/goes well!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu_dudette)
    Has anyone with a Drystone 2nd round heard any more information than the email on Saturday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new_tricks)
    There are only two London-based family sets - QEB and Fourteen - who are yet to invite people to interview. The others are already in the final round. I understand that last year QEB sent out invitations on the last Friday in June so you can expect to hear any day. Someone mentioned that Fourteen didn't send out invitations until well into July.
    Incorrect. Both New Court & 4 Brick Court haven't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yep I was one of those interviewed in February too! Very strange even after I attempted to follow up with them following interview and was met by silence. They were incredibly friendly in person, I found, however its a weird way of handling the application process, especially being offered the interview by text!

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know whether 4 stone buildings is a one round or a two round process?

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone heard back from St Ive's? It appears that they are calling successful applicants and rejecting via post. Is this the case ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcafc)
    does anybody know whether 4 stone buildings is a one round or a two round process?
    Have they announced interviews?

And I don't know the answer to your question sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.