Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I'm enjoying it so far. I started last week and I've taught a couple of lessons alongside the general groups I've worked with, but I find myself longing for the time I can go home each day. Why? It's not the actual classroom teaching or anything, or even the paperwork but rather how I only have 3 or maybe 4 hours a day at home. And even then, I'm still doing work; I have no time to relax.

More so than physical exhaustion (which I guess which eventually arrive), it is the mental exertion that is draining me.

There just aren't enough hours in the day and I fear that this may be the norm moving forward. It's depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I can't say I'm enjoying it so far. I started last week and I've taught a couple of lessons alongside the general groups I've worked with, but I find myself longing for the time I can go home each day. Why? It's not the actual classroom teaching or anything, or even the paperwork but rather how I only have 3 or maybe 4 hours a day at home. And even then, I'm still doing work; I have no time to relax.

More so than physical exhaustion (which I guess which eventually arrive), it is the mental exertion that is draining me.

There just aren't enough hours in the day and I fear that this may be the norm moving forward. It's depressing.
    Unfortunately I can identify with much of what you said. However I am learning a lot and I know it won't be forever. If each day is just a bit better than the one before that is an achievement. Is there anyone at school you can talk to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling exactly the same, not enjoying the course at all. I am struggling with ideas and planning and constantly thinking about home. It's heard to see the end

ReputationRep:
    Me too. Good to know others are feeling the same. .. or not! I keep thinking it must get easier at some point because most teachers I've met don't look like they're on the verge of a breakdown!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear people aren't enjoying it.

I'm absolutely loving teaching my lessons but hate everything else like the paper work, planning and ticking boxes for Uni.

For me it's just about getting to Christmas (and my first review point) with good lesson observations and a decent enough portfolio of evidence. Anything else is irrelevant to me. I am learning a lot from being in school but find Uni a bit pointless at times, although it's nice to catch up with everyone once a week on my course.

I don't think I'd like to work in a school like the one I'm in - it's too big and there's no real community feel to it - also I'd find trying to prove progress with a lot of classes near on impossible (very very low literacy)

I am enjoying my school though and I like the majority of staff I'm working with.

Keep going people, won't be long until the Christmas break!

ReputationRep:
    It gets easier guys, keep going xx

ReputationRep:
    Had my first lesson today and it was observed, albeit just by my mentor.

He said on the whole it was a very good performance especially the introduction. He said kids lived my mental starter and enjoyed the use of PPT. However he said some kids lost way during the lesson, mainly because the work was difficult and I needed to have differentiated better. One thing I'm not allowing is for the negatives in the lesson to bring me down - we're so new to this that it'd be crazy to let it bring us down. Plus another teacher has said I'm free to take any of his classes when I wish which is handy.

In all, quite pleased. Taking a break from teaching tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Totally know how you feel OP. On top of everything else I had massive problems with the teachers at school being total dicks to me and was so close to cracking this term.
    Know what that's like. Though to be fair as I get to know more staff I've discovered that generally it's the "student tutor" not the whole of the teaching staff.

ReputationRep:
    plz help me in primary pgce application 2014/2015...personal statement ????sorry that i know i am in wrong thread:-(

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, keep in mind that this is by far the lowest point of the training year. Getting to Christmas you will have cracked it. This is the prime time for people to drop out. The nights are closing in, your teaching load increases but every lesson is difficult to plan because its still so new.....It really does improve! But yes, the monopoly it has over your time doesn't go away, if anything its 100x worse in the NQT year!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozy27)
    plz help me in primary pgce application 2014/2015...personal statement ????sorry that i know i am in wrong thread:-(
    Theres an article on writing a teaching personal statement on the wiki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    Hi everyone, keep in mind that this is by far the lowest point of the training year. Getting to Christmas you will have cracked it. This is the prime time for people to drop out. The nights are closing in, your teaching load increases but every lesson is difficult to plan because its still so new.....It really does improve! But yes, the monopoly it has over your time doesn't go away, if anything its 100x worse in the NQT year!
    Well put.

I'm very hapay to report that I've had my best week since starting this job in September. However it seems it has come at a price - I feel so run down. My whole body hurts and bending down to pick things up is painful. On top of that I think my heating is broken.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm just reassuring myself that everyone says this is the worst term (of the NQT year or the PGCE) and things will get better after Christmas.

On my PGCE last year, it worked out that on the 1st placement, we started teaching in November and had 6 solid weeks of it before Christmas, which was tough. My house just became full of paper everywhere that I didn't have time to sort through.

On the 2nd placement, we started teaching 2 weeks before Easter, which was so much better in terms of having a chance to stop, evaluate more, get ahead and get organised, after having had a couple of weeks to get to know our classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You only have two lessons?! I have 6. Apparently I'll be teaching 12 by December. One of the teachers has commented that they think too much is being expected of me though at this stage.
    I have 10 already

It's interesting to see how courses can differ so much. Personally, I think that 10 is far too much at my stage. Other people might be able to cope better but for me it's just too difficult. It just takes so, so long to plan my lessons because I don't really have a handle on it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francophilia)
    I have 10 already

It's interesting to see how courses can differ so much. Personally, I think that 10 is far too much at my stage. Other people might be able to cope better but for me it's just too difficult. It just takes so, so long to plan my lessons because I don't really have a handle on it at all.
    Need to also bear in mind that different schools have different length lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My college tutor is coming in to observe me on Monday, alongside my school mentor. So a double observation for a lesson I feel pretty unprepared for. I've also noticed my mentor is becoming evidently frustrated with me - particuarly in regards to not being able to settle them down quickly at the start of the lesson and not having them meet the objectives in my lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francophilia)
    I have 10 already

I had 10 in my first placement too. My provider said that your first placement timetable should be 50% of an NQT, which works out at 10 hours. So I had 10 lessons (as my school had 1 hour lessons) but others had 12 lessons of 50 minutes. It seemed to be up to the mentor whether you started actually teaching that timetable from the word go (that's what I did) or whether you initially just did bits of lessons/team teaching, building up gradually to the full 10 hours).

10 lessons in the first placement does feel awful, especially when people at some other universities are teaching far less. But it does make the step up to your 2nd placement easier. Imagine if you went from 5 lessons per week to 15!

You do get faster at lesson planning. In my first placement I regularly ended up crying at 11pm on a Thursday night because I still had a lesson to plan for Friday. In my 2nd placement I think this only happened once. The workload was still heavy, but I'd got better at managing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    My college tutor is coming in to observe me on Monday, alongside my school mentor. So a double observation for a lesson I feel pretty unprepared for. I've also noticed my mentor is becoming evidently frustrated with me - particuarly in regards to not being able to settle them down quickly at the start of the lesson and not having them meet the objectives in my lesson.
    Frustrated? That seems unfair as surely he/she should know that behaviour management is the hardest aspect for a trainees teacher. And you have to remember kids know that we're not their real teacher. Ask your mentor for advice on how to get them to settle quicker. My mentor is quite amazing at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I had 10 in my first placement too. My provider said that your first placement timetable should be 50% of an NQT, which works out at 10 hours. So I had 10 lessons (as my school had 1 hour lessons) but others had 12 lessons of 50 minutes. It seemed to be up to the mentor whether you started actually teaching that timetable from the word go (that's what I did) or whether you initially just did bits of lessons/team teaching, building up gradually to the full 10 hours).

10 lessons in the first placement does feel awful, especially when people at some other universities are teaching far less. But it does make the step up to your 2nd placement easier. Imagine if you went from 5 lessons per week to 15!

You do get faster at lesson planning. In my first placement I regularly ended up crying at 11pm on a Thursday night because I still had a lesson to plan for Friday. In my 2nd placement I think this only happened once. The workload was still heavy, but I'd got better at managing it.

Thanks a lot for for your reply. It really does help to know that other people felt like this at the beginning of their course That's very true, I will be expected to plan a lot more once I'm an NQT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Frustrated? That seems unfair as surely he/she should know that behaviour management is the hardest aspect for a trainees teacher. And you have to remember kids know that we're not their real teacher. Ask your mentor for advice on how to get them to settle quicker. My mentor is quite amazing at that.
    Yeah :/ At times she can seem quite frustrated with me or a bit fed up. She is an extremely busy person though, so I'm chalking it up to that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.