The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauws
Unsuccessful for Houses of Parliament (100% expected) but still awaiting results for CD - does this mean that I've avoided the immediately unsuccessful? I.e. lower than a 2 in a particular category?

Ah, I'm waiting on Science and Engineering, and CD... Had my FSAC a week Tuesday ago (10/3), and still waiting for any news.... which I guess implies I wasn't immediately successful or unsuccessful and so will find out at the next grade boundary calculations.

Are we guessing one has to score very highly to even be considered for the Final Selection Boards?

Sorry, I haven't at all answered your questions, but provided some more... This suspense is horrendous.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2541
Original post by billevans
Ah, I'm waiting on Science and Engineering, and CD... Had my FSAC a week Tuesday ago (10/3), and still waiting for any news.... which I guess implies I wasn't immediately successful or unsuccessful and so will find out at the next grade boundary calculations.

Are we guessing one has to score very highly to even be considered for the Final Selection Boards?

Sorry, I haven't at all answered your questions, but provided some more... This suspense is horrendous.

Ahh, you and I appear to be in the same boat. Fantastic. I guess now that we know we aren't about to get an email this week, we can stop thinking about it and just see what happens in mid April.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pre-appointment checks completed today! Now I just have to wait to find out my location and department...
Original post by Lauws
Unsuccessful for Houses of Parliament (100% expected) but still awaiting results for CD - does this mean that I've avoided the immediately unsuccessful? I.e. lower than a 2 in a particular category?

Lower than a 2 in a category is an automatic fail so if you are amber for CD, you can be pretty sure that isn't the case for you.
Sorry to hear that you weren't successful for HoP.
Has anyone in the Comms stream heard back from the FSAC yet?
Reply 2545
Original post by SarahLouPinder
Has anyone in the Comms stream heard back from the FSAC yet?

Nothing yet! My assessment day was on the 5th. 😖
Original post by AnnD
Nothing yet! My assessment day was on the 5th. ������

Mine was the 4th! This wait is torturous - hopefully good news for both of us and quickly!!
Reply 2547
Original post by sempitern
Lower than a 2 in a category is an automatic fail so if you are amber for CD, you can be pretty sure that isn't the case for you.
Sorry to hear that you weren't successful for HoP.

This is what I meant, essentially do they analyse both scores against the base marks at the same time so if I was immediately unsuccessful for both I'd find out at the same time. I called Partity anyway and they confirmed this is the case. I guess I'm going to be on the borderline until the final band narrowing - I couldn't possibly guess what my chances are - insight anybody?

But what I do know is, if I miss I'll be pretty much as close to getting on the FS as possible without actually getting a place - rubbish!
What are people's thoughts on the commercial fast stream? Pros and cons in respect to other options?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2549
Original post by TritonSails
Just snapped and asked Parity when I might hear back--they said either 'either some time next week or mid-April'. Back to my dissertation for now, I reckon.

Think I'm in the same boat as you, are you just amber for CD ? Also, I thought the March band narrowing was this week - see PJ07 etc. So what's next week? Maybe it was only HoP / DS that was narrowed this week? CD is next?
Original post by BeccaXDXD
Hi James
Sorry to hear that.

Could you tell me how the you found the different tasks?

I am going next week for the HR stream and trying to prepare but finding it difficult.

How did you get on with the HR FSAC? I was successful and it would be great to chat to some other successful HR FSers.
Original post by jo131278
I went on the 26th Jan and am tired of waiting. There is meant to be another band narrowing at the end of Feb so I'm hoping for either a yes or no in the next couple of days. Knowing my luck I won't find out until the end of March band narrowing. At least you had your FSAC near a narrowing date.

Any news? I've been successful on the HR FSAC so would love to chat to other successful HR FSers.
Original post by cactusjr
Has anyone heard anything for the HR stream? I know there's not normally a lot of applicants so they might be waiting for more people to have the FSAC, but the waiting is just horrible...

Yes I've got a job. No idea where yet, but just glad to know one way or the other. Many sympathies with those still waiting.
Original post by Lisfuller
How did you get on with the HR FSAC? I was successful and it would be great to chat to some other successful HR FSers.

Hi! I'm successful for HR, as is meganfleur, but I think that's it so far. The amber band will be narrowing again soon since it's mid March already, so there will probably be more then...
Original post by grownupfrog
Hi! I'm successful for HR, as is meganfleur, but I think that's it so far. The amber band will be narrowing again soon since it's mid March already, so there will probably be more then...

Ace! Congratulations! I heard that jobs get allocated on the basis of your FSAC score so I'm hoping to get something exciting in one of the bigger depts in London since I didn't get amber banded. Any idea where you'll be based yet?

Ace! Congratulations! I heard that jobs get allocated on the basis of your FSAC score so I'm hoping to get something exciting in one of the bigger depts in London since I didn't get amber banded. Any idea where you'll be based yet?

Same here! Not sure where I'll be placed though hoping for London. (By the way, I've just noticed your username - we've actually spoken on facebook, you sent me a message when you saw me on the fast stream group!)

Is this true? Where did you hear this? It doesnt seem quite right that those with better scores get 'better' placements - i would hope all those on the fast stream have access to equally challenging placements!

I found out I was sucessful in Feb and now just waiting for feedback and any news regarding placements...
Original post by Lauws
Think I'm in the same boat as you, are you just amber for CD ? Also, I thought the March band narrowing was this week - see PJ07 etc. So what's next week? Maybe it was only HoP / DS that was narrowed this week? CD is next?

Yes, I've been amber for CD since the 12th of Jan. Maybe they narrow the bands twice this month.
Original post by E.Marie
Is this true? Where did you hear this? It doesnt seem quite right that those with better scores get 'better' placements - i would hope all those on the fast stream have access to equally challenging placements!

I found out I was sucessful in Feb and now just waiting for feedback and any news regarding placements...

It's definitely true for HR - it's mentioned on the HRF Job Placement section of the applications portal. It says that we're assigned in order of FSAC score, but there's no definitive ranking of the potential placements, so I'm sure they achieve a reasonable spread of people across different departments. Although I'm not so sure it's unfair that people are assigned in merit order - that seems fairly standard to me!
It specifies HR Fast Streamers though, so I don't know if it's the same for all streams. Which stream are you on?
I believe they take into account your experience and development needs as well as FSAC score and report when placing people (for CD scheme).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending