Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Hi lads,

In exactly the same position. Rejected from Oxford, and now considering gap year + US application if i get 3A*'s

Is it even possible for candidates to take a gap year and then go to America?
    I don't think taking a gap year is an issue when applying to the US but I'm not 100% on that - would be surprised if not. What US unis are you thinking? Guess the thing with a US application is you need the personality extracurriculars etc. but I mean, I myself would absolutely be buzzing to go to somewhere like Harvard, but it's the fact it's a 4 year long course where 2 of which will be spent studying stuff I don't care about and then only in the final 2 would I be able to major in econ. I personally think the US is the best to go for a postgrad degree but obvs it depends what you wanna do. I've done a lot of thinking about the whole situation and tbh I think that if I don't get lse I'm just gonna go ucl because I don't personally wanna be hanging on for an offer that I may or may not get from Oxbridge...etc which may or may not leave me in a better situation career wise. Tbf this choice defo is a hard one and comes down to personal tastes and preferences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPD96)
    Anybody know roughly when I should expect to hear back from UCL by, given that I applied on 20th October?
    Mid jan/early February perhaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPD96)
    Anybody know roughly when I should expect to hear back from UCL by, given that I applied on 20th October?
    They have started sending out offers!! I got mine last week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    Hi lads,

In exactly the same position. Rejected from Oxford, and now considering gap year + US application if i get 3A*'s

Is it even possible for candidates to take a gap year and then go to America?
    Out of curiosity, what were your stats and which college did you apply to? I don't see why there would be a problem with taking a gap year before applying to the US, but is it actually beneficial? With the crazy college fees you have to pay in advance there I'd expect my salary to go from 0-100 real quick after graduating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    Cheers dude it probs is worth a shot but idk, that life sounds so sick! Mate you've summed us up in a sentence tbh, it's the London life that I probs just won't be able to resist ngl
    No worries g, and yeah London does sound amazing to live in. I'm not worried about the living costs tbh cos its all worth it in the end. The night life would be soooo sick tho. Surprisingly, LSE was recently voted the uni with the best nightlife in the UK lmao so there must be something special about London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    No worries g, and yeah London does sound amazing to live in. I'm not worried about the living costs tbh cos its all worth it in the end. The night life would be soooo sick tho. Surprisingly, LSE was recently voted the uni with the best nightlife in the UK lmao so there must be something special about London
    I'm exactly the same about London prices, yeah I saw that aswell actually haha. Think you basically have to join the AU for all the drinking and banter but I'd want to play for a football/hockey team anyway 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    True but it's not all about money, I'd love to be a financial/economic journalist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :love:

Congrats on your offers btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    :love:

Congrats on your offers btw.
    Haha thanks you heard from many places yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Offer from Nottingham
    Congratulations!! What's the offer? Just warwick and Bristol for you to hear from now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!! What's the offer? Just warwick and Bristol for you to hear from now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A*AA.
    Warwick sent me an email yesterday!They hadn't received my predicted grades somehow!Had to send them again!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks you heard from many places yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, all 4 places I applied to got back to me last year. Apart from a pre-interview rejection from Oxford I got offers from everywhere and am now trying to settle on a firm (Bath v Exeter).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all 4 places I applied to got back to me last year. Apart from a pre-interview rejection from Oxford I got offers from everywhere and am now trying to settle on a firm (Bath v Exeter).
    Ooh bath is so nice it's so pretty, Exeter is an absolute trek from where I live so no idea about there haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A*AA.
    Warwick sent me an email yesterday!They hadn't received my predicted grades somehow!Had to send them again!
    Thank you
    God what a nightmare with warwick, well done with notts though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooh bath is so nice it's so pretty, Exeter is an absolute trek from where I live so no idea about there haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm actually from the North, so both are several hours away from me by almost all forms of transport. XD

Pretty much everyone I know think it's an odd choice but the truth is I just had very specific criteria when picking my choices.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually from the North, so both are several hours away from me by almost all forms of transport. XD

Pretty much everyone I know think it's an odd choice but the truth is I just had very specific criteria when picking my choices.
    Ooh I'm keen to hear your criteria, I had specific criteria too that made it easy to cut my choices down (although camb doesn't actch fit it haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    London's waveyyy, don't choose Oxbridge just because of the name, mate. London unis are soo reputable as well, especially LSE, King's and UCL. The atmosphere you get, the experiences that there are to have and everything that London has to offer make up for the higher living costs, which people exaggerate anyway imo. You'll love it here

Of course, going to Cambridge or Oxford would be amazing in terms of the degree, job prospects etc., but you have to understand that the workload and environment, and the cities, aren't for everyone. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm also guessing that the kinds of people you'd meet at the London unis especially would be much more eclectic than those you'd find at Oxbridge.

In reply to jchap btw lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nétajcr)
    London's waveyyy, don't choose Oxbridge just because of the name, mate. London unis are soo reputable as well, especially LSE, King's and UCL. The atmosphere you get, the experiences that there are to have and everything that London has to offer make up for the higher living costs, which people exaggerate anyway imo. You'll love it here

Of course, going to Cambridge or Oxford would be amazing in terms of the degree, job prospects etc., but you have to understand that the workload and environment, and the cities, aren't for everyone. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm also guessing that the kinds of people you'd meet at the London unis especially would be much more eclectic than those you'd find at Oxbridge.

Great advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nétajcr)

My man! Mate London is a must for me and I'm defo going next year, be it ucl or lse. Are you already at uni then? I'm guessing it's as sick as it seems 😁😁 defo want to join the AU for the unlimited amount of fun that it brings haha

ReputationRep:
    Great advice!
    Thanks, man 👌

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.