Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesta)
    I've checked most of the firms.
    Meaning what? How have you 'checked'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Meaning what? How have you 'checked'?
    Go on to the firms website. Then go to people and you will find all the people who work for the firm across the world. If you look at qualifications and education you will see the uni they attended.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The only thing my son is worried about is the fact Notts don't give out many firsts. He would like to do a MA at Oxford or a top American uni and they will only take firsts.
    I would like to do the bar in either California or New York as they are the only states to accept foreign law degrees. I hope to do an MA before that also so I also worry about this problem with Notts. However the campus and standard of teaching look fantastic so I am really torn at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    I would like to do the bar in either California or New York as they are the only states to accept foreign law degrees. I hope to do an MA before that also so I also worry about this problem with Notts. However the campus and standard of teaching look fantastic so I am really torn at the moment
    I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Go on to the firms website. Then go to people and you will find all the people who work for the firm across the world. If you look at qualifications and education you will see the uni they attended.
    This doesn't mean they actively prefer people from that Uni. There are plenty of posts above that have discussed this issue at length - please read them.

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and causation.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=returnmigrant;62721321]This doesn't mean they actively prefer people from that Uni. There are plenty of posts above that have discussed this issue at length - please read them.

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and
    Sorry I can't agree on that one.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have offers from Durham, Bristol, QMUL and Edinburgh... Where do I go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebastianCanuck)
    Okay I have offers from Durham, Bristol, QMUL and Edinburgh... Where do I go?
    The Uni where you will feel most comfortable, and the course that interests you the most.

Forget all the silly stuff about rankings and 'who employs who' - if you aren't happy at Uni and enjoying what you are studying then it'll be a very miserable 3 or 4 years, and with that sort of experience the chances of a First are practically zero.

ReputationRep:
    You'll see that, in the past (10-15 years ago), Bristol used to be a lot better than what it currently is (it ranked third or fourth, after Oxbridge). I imagine that that may account both for the large number of Bristol graduates at top firms, as well as the solid reputation it holds in the eyes of these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    You'll see that, in the past (10-15 years ago), Bristol used to be a lot better than what it currently is (it ranked third or fourth, after Oxbridge). I imagine that that may account both for the large number of Bristol graduates at top firms, as well as the solid reputation it holds in the eyes of these people.
    THIS is an example of why rankings etc are total bunkum - and why those who rely on them to pick their Uni really are being very naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfradkin)
    Are you domestic or international?
    Uk applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloetraynor)
    Congratulations, and thanks! You must've had a really strong application otherwise? What AS grades did you get?
    As: AAAB
    GCSE: 9a* 2a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandyyCD97)
    Congratulations on your offers! I've also got an offer from Southampton and Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    congrats WW is where i realllyyy want to go, what did they ask for if i may ask?

ReputationRep:
    And what makes you think it's not good now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    And what makes you think it's not good now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Always rushing to defend the pride of your uni...

My point was that it was better relative to what it is now. That's a relative measure.

ReputationRep:
    Always rushing to defend the pride of your uni...

My point was that it was better relative to what it is now. That's a relative measure.
    Wow there tiger, I simply asked lol. You said "much better" which got me wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    This doesn't mean they actively prefer people from that Uni. There are plenty of posts above that have discussed this issue at length - please read them.

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and causation.
    I like how you're all "please read!" when you obviously haven't followed it's not her doing the application but her son. Well played, etc.

It's also not correlatively flawed to assert that there's an old-boys network running in these law firms. One of the reasons there's an ongoing issue moving up into the judiciary, too, and why there are so many conversations, studies, acts of parliament etc., about how to diversify it. Something pretty obvious to anyone who'll have read about it. Rather ironically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonstran)
    I like how you're all "please read!" when you obviously haven't followed it's not her doing the application but her son. Well played, etc.

It's also not correlatively flawed to assert that there's an old-boys network running in these law firms. One of the reasons there's an ongoing issue moving up into the judiciary, too, and why there are so many conversations, studies, acts of parliament etc., about how to diversify it. Something pretty obvious to anyone who'll have read about it. Rather ironically.
    There will always be that old-boys network. Of course Bristol alumni or any other uni alumni for that matter will probably pick their own. Having said that, they would still need to be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise1998)
    You realise Bristol is only one place below King's in the law rankings, and in the overall rankings Bristol is way ahead of King's?
    It's not the rankings I said, it's the unquantifiable perception of King's. Something about it just stands out. Maybe you're right though. You know if adjustment is possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legalmind)
    I also applied to QMUL, Manchester, Leeds, and Newcastle.

In your opinion which one among may choices is the best for law? I would like to hear an opinion from someone living in UK. Thanks.
    I am studying Law at Manchester in September so you will probably see me as biased. First off, all of your choices are Russell Group unis, well done on that as its important to go to one if you can for Law as its such a competitive profession. I was up at Manchester Uni 3 weeks ago on a visit day and am going to the Law applicant day in March. I was very impressed and the Law school is well regarded despite the league tables saying otherwise about Manchester. Manchester is very well looked at internationally (56th and 33rd in two top 100 world ranking tables). For international rep Manchester is on top of all the others. The Law society there looks great, with regular socials and networking events, its sponsored by major city law firms (including some magic circle). They even have 2 legal advice centres run by the students which is sponsored by big law firms. All the MC (Magic Circle) law firms and big city firms visit their law fair and their graduates do well on getting big firm training contracts. That was partially what made me pick them and I loved the city and campus. QMUL is hard to get into (A*AA) but is very well respected. Leeds and Newcastle are also very good for Law. Going to any of them would not be to your disadvantage, but If I was to pick 2 I would go for QMUL and Manchester. Pick which is best for you though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.