Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    37 years since Thatcher took power
    We would like to forget but will not be able to. High house prices and large areas of deprivation are just part of her legacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Part of the issues comes from allowing foreign students to take the places in British medical schools before returning home after graduating, or returning home after working for a short time in the NHS. The NHS would have a lot of problems solved by expanding the number of places on medical courses, restricting the places to British citizens, and placing contractual requirements on graduates to work in the NHS; Britain has a surplus of talented students who are not given the opportunity.
    I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the issues comes from allowing foreign students to take the places in British medical schools before returning home after graduating, or returning home after working for a short time in the NHS. The NHS would have a lot of problems solved by expanding the number of places on medical courses, restricting the places to British citizens, and placing contractual requirements on graduates to work in the NHS; Britain has a surplus of talented students who are not given the opportunity.
    Presumably due to sheer cost they couldn't expand the number of places. International students pay I think around £10,000 per year on fees, which actually isn't as much as I thought it would be. Quite often thought they get sponsored by their respective governments on the proviso they return after graduation. Same system as army/navy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    He wanted to take it at the convention as a consensus candidate, wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened, but with the certainty Trump will get the delegates and being declared presumptive nominee there is no point going on now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. This campaign must have cost him a lot of money though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Presumably due to sheer cost they couldn't expand the number of places. International students pay I think around £10,000 per year on fees, which actually isn't as much as I thought it would be. Quite often thought they get sponsored by their respective governments on the proviso they return after graduation. Same system as army/navy.
    The policy works for foreign government who see the boost but the policy does not work for the British students with straight A*s who are forced to read an alternative degree. There should be legislation to introduce disincentives to stop British universities chasing the extra money from foreign students bring when the legacy of foreign students is a shortage of trained medical personnel.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    We would like to forget but will not be able to. High house prices and large areas of deprivation are just part of her legacy.
    You conveniently forget the highest manufacturing productivity in the G7, improved labour productivity, real terms spending increase on the NHS, higher literacy rates, lower death rates, lower infant mortality rates, the improved access to cheap mortgages, the introduction of democracy to trade unions, the decrease in financial inequality, and the return to profitability of companies; her government oversaw lots of good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "This person who hasn't been in power, they're the primary reason why problems exist today that existed long before they took power, all through their tenure, and ever since."

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    Fair enough. This campaign must have cost him a lot of money though.
    It will have cost him little in monetary terms, it will be almost entirely funded be private donors, his health on the other hand will likely have taken a bit of a hit

ReputationRep:
    You conveniently forget the highest manufacturing productivity in the G7, improved labour productivity, real terms spending increase on the NHS, higher literacy rates, lower death rates, lower infant mortality rates, the improved access to cheap mortgages, the introduction of democracy to trade unions, the decrease in financial inequality, and the return to profitability of companies; her government oversaw lots of good.
    Cheap mortgages I thought came because of the low interest rates from 2008?
    Decrease in financial inequality?
    Highest manufacturing productivity? Than Germany?

Where are the figures you have to back this up?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    And now it's confirmed that I am indeed a liberal
    Time to party!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cheap mortgages I thought came because of the low interest rates from 2008?
    Decrease in financial inequality?
    Highest manufacturing productivity? Than Germany?

Where are the figures you have to back this up?
    The cheap mortgages came during the credit boom when banks were allowed to issue mortgages following deregulation in the 1980s, and on page 269 of Twentieth Century Britain: Economic, Cultural, and Social Change 2011 there is a section on productivity, but I have found an online source where it states on page 16 Britain led the way in rate of growth of productivity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    And now it's confirmed that I am indeed a liberal
    Time to party!!!
    I am expecting to soon see your analysis from the latest round of surveys you make us all do.

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories beat Labour for 2nd place in Scotland tomorrow I will scream the house down....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    If the Tories beat Labour for 2nd place in Scotland tomorrow I will scream the house down....
    I don't think it'll be as close as the polls predict. People tend to return to their usual voting habits on the day of an election.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am expecting to soon see your analysis from the latest round of surveys you make us all do.
    So am I - they took me ages to complete.

ReputationRep:
    President of the United States of America Mr Donald Trump!

On a side note, elections in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland tomorrow- interesting times.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)
    President of the United States of America Mr Donald Trump!

On a side note, elections in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland tomorrow- interesting times.
    And London! Don't forget London!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Time to convert a Labourite to significantly increase the female population of the York Tories

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was one number away from winning the Lotto Jackpot. Over £11million. I'm on the verge of crying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I was one number away from winning the Lotto Jackpot. Over £11million. I'm on the verge of crying.
    gambling is bad yo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    gambling is bad yo
    I know, I just wanted to pay off my mortgage and donate the rest to charity!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.