Medicine Rejections 2009 entry Watch

Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bean87)
pardon my ignorance, but why is it stupid to apply to downing?

i dont understand the oxbridge colleges thing
because people like him and Moronic Acid got rejected with outstanding academics (almost all A*s, 97+ UMS average, 20+ in the bmat). someone from my school with similar results was also rejected. i think this year they were majorly oversubscribed (maybe 7-9 applicants per place?), which meant that successful applicants were of an extremely high calibre.

some colleges are academically better than others, and Downing is one of them. they like people who get firsts, so they put even more emphasis on the academic side (especially the BMAT, which statistically implies that higher scores correlate with getting a first).
bean87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
because people like him and Moronic Acid got rejected with outstanding academics (almost all A*s, 97+ UMS average, 20+ in the bmat). someone from my school with similar results was also rejected. i think this year they were majorly oversubscribed (maybe 7-9 applicants per place?), which meant that successful applicants were of an extremely high calibre.

some colleges are academically better than others, and Downing is one of them. they like people who get firsts, so they put even more emphasis on the academic side (especially the BMAT, which statistically implies that higher scores correlate with getting a first).
so downing college bases its medicine offers purely on academics?? weird...

im assuming other colleges differ?
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Edinburgh rejection. Really not bothered - it was my "what if?" choice and I never really expected to get in. They did offer me a place in the School of Biological Sciences, which I will decline because I don't think I would've gone to Edinburgh even if I got a place on Medicine.
Keeping my fingers crossed for Newcastle!
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bean87)
so downing college bases its medicine offers purely on academics?? weird...

im assuming other colleges differ?
how is that weird? it's a well known fact that cambridge put more weight on academics. in fact i think it's fair to say that this year, the bmat played the most important factor. that's not to say that other factors such as the interview, PS/reference aren't important (they are also taken into account). they just weren't the most important deciding factor.
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Edinburgh rejection. Really not bothered - it was my "what if?" choice and I never really expected to get in. They did offer me a place in the School of Biological Sciences, which I will decline because I don't think I would've gone to Edinburgh even if I got a place on Medicine.
Bummer. That's the best way to go about it, good attitude. I'm sure you're going to do very well regardless of the medical school you end up at. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you hear some good news from Cardiff and Newcastle too - and I remember you feeling reasonably positive about the interviews so it's more than promising! To be honest, it's clichéd but it really is their loss. They don't interview so they rejected you on the basis of your application, which really was perfect.
Rach L
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rejected from Edinburgh as well . Was expecting it really, I'm nowhere near good enough!
OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)

Awch no! Well that's the best way to take the news! Unlucky, but I guess you're not bothered!
akj08
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Another rejection from edinburgh. pretty much expected but still annoying
Jade4666
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh dear. Still waiting on Edinburgh, i guess the news is in the post :-S
crosscurrents
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also Edinburgh rejection. I am grateful to have 2 London med school offers but really I don't want to go to London anymore so am being a bit unfairly dissapointed!
lolicampbell
Report 9 years ago
I got an Edinburgh rejection last Thurs, but offer for Bio Sciences which I'll take if I don't get in somewhere else!

Still waiting on the other 3!
anonymity007
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how is that weird? it's a well known fact that cambridge put more weight on academics. in fact i think it's fair to say that this year, the bmat played the most important factor. that's not to say that other factors such as the interview, PS/reference aren't important (they are also taken into account). they just weren't the most important deciding factor.
Indeed, this is true.

I would say that the p/s+reference are not really part of it, they probably read them to make sure med is what you want to do. It's academia/interview from then onwards.
El-Schmel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jade4666)
Oh dear. Still waiting on Edinburgh, i guess the news is in the post :-S
yep and me!! :eek3:
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yup, I had an Edinburgh rejection in the post today as well. Oh well, looks like I might end up in Glasgow
FTC199
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am sorry to hear about all the edinburgh rejections, last year i got my offer on the 12th of march which i think was the last day they gave out offers the straight route so the end of this week is probably d-day for them.

i dont want to worry anyone though so if i am wrong please do not kill me!
Future Doc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lukenn)
so you'll be away during possible interview time? jan-march
I could be called for interview anywhere from December to April. I'll let each university know the dates and that I'll need either and early or late interview. Obviously I'll consider moving my trip further back but have to see what they say..
bean87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
because i think its weird. i know cambridge put a huge weight on academics, but for a college to choose their students purely on academics seems weird
vj69
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crosscurrents)
Also Edinburgh rejection. I am grateful to have 2 London med school offers but really I don't want to go to London anymore so am being a bit unfairly dissapointed!
I'll swap with you :-) How about 3 rejections and a pending lol?? Man id KILL to go to London to do medicine.

Oh well im looking on the bright side, yesterday i was aan A level resit student with BBDd and today after results i've got ABBC :-D Only a few UMS away from AAA!! Hopefully 3rd time lucky for me!
crosscurrents
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vj69)
I'll swap with you :-) How about 3 rejections and a pending lol?? Man id KILL to go to London to do medicine.

Oh well im looking on the bright side, yesterday i was aan A level resit student with BBDd and today after results i've got ABBC :-D Only a few UMS away from AAA!! Hopefully 3rd time lucky for me!
Hehe! Yeah, hence just me being ungrateful. But applying to two London schools then realising I'd rather not be somewhere as scary as London was not clever.

Well done on your results, you must have worked hard and hope you're proud of yourself that it's paid off
El-Schmel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
edinburgh rejection came through the post today
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?