Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's comforting to see that others are experiencing the same highs and lows. Lets just focus on making it to Christmas, then we can drink lots of wine, eat lots of cheese and have a massive sleep!

I'm having a bit of an observation nightmare, any advice would be amazing...

It's my first university tutor observation this week, my tutor will be joined by my mentor, and they will observe me with a class I have only had one full lesson with. The class are not where they should be on the SoL. They have spent 7 weeks to get to what should be week 2 on the SoL. I'm finding it incredibly frustrating that the class teacher has handed over a class which have been allowed to seeming take as long as they like over their work. It goes without saying that they did not complete the tasks I had set last lesson. The only advice the class teacher can offer about pace and motivation is to finish the work that they don't complete during the next lesson. Just guessing but that might be why they are behind... So for my observation she advised that I get the kids to finish off their work from last lesson! (I'm not going to be doing that for an observation lesson)

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can explain this to my university tutor in a diplomatic way? I don't want it to sound like I'm doing the class teacher down, as she obviously has more experience than me and is actually qualified. Sorry for the massive post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emlha)
    It's comforting to see that others are experiencing the same highs and lows. Lets just focus on making it to Christmas, then we can drink lots of wine, eat lots of cheese and have a massive sleep!

I'm having a bit of an observation nightmare, any advice would be amazing...

It's my first university tutor observation this week, my tutor will be joined by my mentor, and they will observe me with a class I have only had one full lesson with. The class are not where they should be on the SoL. They have spent 7 weeks to get to what should be week 2 on the SoL. I'm finding it incredibly frustrating that the class teacher has handed over a class which have been allowed to seeming take as long as they like over their work. It goes without saying that they did not complete the tasks I had set last lesson. The only advice the class teacher can offer about pace and motivation is to finish the work that they don't complete during the next lesson. Just guessing but that might be why they are behind... So for my observation she advised that I get the kids to finish off their work from last lesson! (I'm not going to be doing that for an observation lesson)

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can explain this to my university tutor in a diplomatic way? I don't want it to sound like I'm doing the class teacher down, as she obviously has more experience than me and is actually qualified. Sorry for the massive post!
    I'd just go for it and plan and teach. Your tutor will be aware of the fact that circumstances will differ, and will be able to read in to things very well! Maybe mention when they arrive that this is your second lesson with the class. They certainly won't hold you accountable for the rate at which they have moved through the SoL prior to this. I would perhaps say to the class teacher that the uni tutor will be looking for specific things for the observation and you feel you need to introduce some new material that lesson in order to achieve that, I'm sure they won't take offence. If they ask about completing the work you could suggest perhaps doing a catch up lesson a week? Or something. As a compromise. You could have it as a summary lesson to discuss the week's learning, extend it and also fill in any gaps? This is just if the teacher is saying to you 'Well when are they gonna do the work?'

As a note I personally don't think there's anything wrong with doing an extended piece of learning that may span over several lessons, but that doesn't seem to be the intent with this particular case.

Also I might, in your discussion with your uni tutor after the obs, say that this particular class are slow on getting through things e.g. they have taken longer than expected to get through the SoL, and did they have any advice on how to work with a class like this? Then they are kind of aware of the situation, able to help you deal with it but you aren't phrasing it like 'The teacher has let them get behind', more 'they are a class prone to getting behind, how do I change this?'

xxx

ReputationRep:
    It is mad to see people doing 10 or more lessons on their first placement when our Uni say we should only be doing 3 or 4 until Christmas.

I'm still only doing 2, I've asked to take on a year ten but because they're finishing off a unit of work I'm going to have to wait until at least next week, but I only have 4 weeks until my first review point! I'll still have 6 or 7 lesson observation feedback forms for it but maybe only one from the year ten and then 3 for the year 7 and 3 for the year 8.

Got to say I'm feeling a bit worried now - I'm planning to get my assignment finished this week coming but I also really need to sort my evidence file out for this first review as don't want to be doing it last minute. I've planned my two lessons for the week coming so that gives me a bit of time to get everything else done.

Just crazy that in 4 weeks time I'm meant to have this big file of evidence for every standard and at the moment it's got about 8 pages in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I'd just go for it and plan and teach. Your tutor will be aware of the fact that circumstances will differ, and will be able to read in to things very well! Maybe mention when they arrive that this is your second lesson with the class. They certainly won't hold you accountable for the rate at which they have moved through the SoL prior to this. I would perhaps say to the class teacher that the uni tutor will be looking for specific things for the observation and you feel you need to introduce some new material that lesson in order to achieve that, I'm sure they won't take offence. If they ask about completing the work you could suggest perhaps doing a catch up lesson a week? Or something. As a compromise. You could have it as a summary lesson to discuss the week's learning, extend it and also fill in any gaps? This is just if the teacher is saying to you 'Well when are they gonna do the work?'

As a note I personally don't think there's anything wrong with doing an extended piece of learning that may span over several lessons, but that doesn't seem to be the intent with this particular case.

Also I might, in your discussion with your uni tutor after the obs, say that this particular class are slow on getting through things e.g. they have taken longer than expected to get through the SoL, and did they have any advice on how to work with a class like this? Then they are kind of aware of the situation, able to help you deal with it but you aren't phrasing it like 'The teacher has let them get behind', more 'they are a class prone to getting behind, how do I change this?'

xxx

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! You've made me feel much more relaxed about the situation, hopefully this positive outlook will come through in my lesson too.

Definitely agree that asking the tutor for advice on strategies for helping the class progress will be the best plan of action and I will hopefully get some good tips out of it too. x

ReputationRep:
    First assignment done! Not the best but I'd be amazed if it wasn't a pass. In for January but wanted to get it out the way.

Now to start getting my evidence file ready for 4 weeks time :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    First assignment done! Not the best but I'd be amazed if it wasn't a pass. In for January but wanted to get it out the way.

Now to start getting my evidence file ready for 4 weeks time :eek:
    Wow, you are well ahead of the deadline! Well done

xxx

ReputationRep:
    When do you guys plan to start applying for jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    When do you guys plan to start applying for jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm keeping an eye out now. They start coming up in december/january time apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I'm keeping an eye out now. They start coming up in december/january time apparently.
    Ooo, that's so close. I'm keeping an eye on my local boroughs but how else can we apply? And will it matter that we won't be qualified when applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, that's so close. I'm keeping an eye on my local boroughs but how else can we apply? And will it matter that we won't be qualified when applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started applying in January last year - I think once you've done your first placement it's a reasonable time to start looking - although I didn't get my job 'til May. The busiest time was around March/April.

Not being qualified yet doesn't really matter - they will have a reference from your mentor and the university which suggests you are pretty likely to pass. And importantly, at interviews you have to teach a lesson, so they see what you are like in the classroom.

Most jobs are advertised on TES and give details of how to apply (eg: school website/download a form and email/contact someone to get a form).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    I started applying in January last year - I think once you've done your first placement it's a reasonable time to start looking - although I didn't get my job 'til May. The busiest time was around March/April.

Not being qualified yet doesn't really matter - they will have a reference from your mentor and the university which suggests you are pretty likely to pass. And importantly, at interviews you have to teach a lesson, so they see what you are like in the classroom.

Most jobs are advertised on TES and give details of how to apply (eg: school website/download a form and email/contact someone to get a form).
    Thanks for that. Yeah I think I'll spend the Xmas holidays on applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at TES the other day and there are definitely more jobs popping up now. Most of the ones I saw (for primary) were starting after Easter, but I imagine the Sept ones will start creeping in.

ReputationRep:
    Only a few more week to go until Christmas . Keep your head held high, as we have almost made it past the most difficult time of the year. It has been a steep learning curve for us all, thinking about the first day I began teaching, it was daunting now it is becoming easier. My pet hate is - why don't teachers practice what they preach, is it only me who thinks that us PGCE students are actually delivering quality lessons. My gosh have I observed qualified teachers, the lessons they teach are appalling these lessons are inadequate. Who an earth has qualified these teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait until Christmas!

It has got so much easier to teach though - I no longer have extreme feelings of butterflies in my stomach before a lesson!

I love teaching most of my classes - I am struggling with one y7 class but hey ho. All I can do is persevere! Getting observed by my university mentor on Tuesday morning with my set 4 y8 who on the whole are lovely. Got lots of paperwork and planning to do this weekend though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    Only a few more week to go until Christmas . Keep your head held high, as we have almost made it past the most difficult time of the year. It has been a steep learning curve for us all, thinking about the first day I began teaching, it was daunting now it is becoming easier. My pet hate is - why don't teachers practice what they preach, is it only me who thinks that us PGCE students are actually delivering quality lessons. My gosh have I observed qualified teachers, the lessons they teach are appalling these lessons are inadequate. Who an earth has qualified these teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean by 'inadequate'? You can't teach Ofsted-style 'outstanding' lessons all the time, but just because a lesson would be rated inadequate by them, doesn't mean the kids aren't learning.

I did find it a bit frustrating at my 2nd placement school, when I was then told I needed to sort out time management in lessons because I sometimes ran out of time for my plenary, yet I had never seen another teacher in the school do a plenary (or written lesson objectives, and not very often a starter either). But the kids there were definitely learning, the expectations were very high, and many of them achieved very highly.

It depends on the class and the time of day as well. I find with some classes I can do a "proper" lesson one day, and then when they have a lesson Period 6 they genuinely just need a worksheet to sit and get on with as that is what they respond to better.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I've learned from this placement is that I need to be firmer with the kids from the outset. Too soft this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One thing I've learned from this experience is that I need to be firmer with the kids from the outset. Too soft this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm the exact same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    What do you mean by 'inadequate'? You can't teach Ofsted-style 'outstanding' lessons all the time, but just because a lesson would be rated inadequate by them, doesn't mean the kids aren't learning.

I did find it a bit frustrating at my 2nd placement school, when I was then told I needed to sort out time management in lessons because I sometimes ran out of time for my plenary, yet I had never seen another teacher in the school do a plenary (or written lesson objectives, and not very often a starter either). But the kids there were definitely learning, the expectations were very high, and many of them achieved very highly.

It depends on the class and the time of day as well. I find with some classes I can do a "proper" lesson one day, and then when they have a lesson Period 6 they genuinely just need a worksheet to sit and get on with as that is what they respond to better.
    I understand not every lesson will be amazing. But teachers in this school lack passion. Lessons are dull, no structure, not much teaching is going on student are left to do what they want. A typical lesson : students enter and are given work to do in forms of worksheet and are told to complete the work that's the teacher input. I am appalled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I'm the exact same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And have you found they've walked over you? Or at least that it takes more than saying it once to get their attention or to do something you've requested?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And have you found they've walked over you? Or at least that it takes more than saying it once to get their attention or to do something you've requested?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely. Not so much with some classes (y8 and y9) who I've been firm with from the beginning, but y7 is an absolute nightmare. Barely get anything done, and I feel like I'm babysitting - not teaching!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.