The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punctuation
WHAT! You went to Cambridge?! How dare you show your face here after that...

Haha joking. :tongue: That's odd though, as Cambridge is usually the one that's more 'posh' - at least, that's how it's perceived. As you said, you didn't visit the colleges - just like Oxford I'm sure Cambridge has very nice and not-nice colleges. Or at least college applicants.

Actually, I think Oxford's supposed to be more posh, as Cambridge is the more traditionally anti-establishment one (being the centre of Cromwell's campaign), whereas Oxford's pro-establishment (playing host to Charles in the Civil War) - however, this is rather an old stereotype (if you look at the alumni, they're relatively balanced in terms of prominent posh people)
So, I visted Oxford today. More specifically I visited Balliol, Brasenose, Exeter and Hertford. I liked the first 2, the latter not so much I had to admit. Exeter was alright, nothing special for me really although the chapel was nice. Hertford looked nice on the outside but the Library just wasn't as nice as Balliol's or Brasenose's, as was the accomodation. It had a very institutionalised look about it on the inside too, like a school or something.

So yeah, on to more positive things, Balliol looks like a heck of a lot of fun :biggrin:
It looked nice too, had decent rooms. I got to speak to a couple of tutors at Brasenose about applying for languages (for anyone doing French they recommended Annie Ernaux and Voltaire's short stories as good things to read to prepare). They were nice, if not a teensy bit intimidating!Then my wonderful mummy bought me some booooooks at Blackwells! And we ate lunch at Wagamama! I love Wagamama!

So yeah, all in all a great day. And I got a free pen and pencil out of Hertford, get in!

EDIT: And the Brasenose prospectus was naaais! It was so fancy and shiny and black and sleek compared to the other somewhat paltry prospectuses. Also, anyone who went to Balliol read the alternative prospectus, I lol'd pretty hard.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dragonmeister
Actually, I think Oxford's supposed to be more posh, as Cambridge is the more traditionally anti-establishment one (being the centre of Cromwell's campaign), whereas Oxford's pro-establishment (playing host to Charles in the Civil War) - however, this is rather an old stereotype (if you look at the alumni, they're relatively balanced in terms of prominent posh people)

Oxford does have more prime ministers... *cough*

Original post by Perseverance
Anyone else go to Brasenose today? I really liked the college and the law talk was very helpful :smile: Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to look around any of the other colleges!

Original post by banterbury_tales
So, I visted Oxford today. More specifically I visited Balliol, Brasenose, Exeter and Hertford. I liked the first 2, the latter not so much I had to admit. Exeter was alright, nothing special for me really although the chapel was nice. Hertford looked nice on the outside but the Library just wasn't as nice as Balliol's or Brasenose's, as was the accomodation. It had a very institutionalised look about it on the inside too, like a school or something.

So yeah, on to more positive things, Balliol looks like a heck of a lot of fun :biggrin:
It looked nice too, had decent rooms. I got to speak to a couple of tutors at Brasenose about applying for languages (for anyone doing French they recommended Annie Ernaux and Voltaire's short stories as good things to read to prepare). They were nice, if not a teensy bit intimidating!Then my wonderful mummy bought me some booooooks at Blackwells! And we ate lunch at Wagamama! I love Wagamama!

So yeah, all in all a great day. And I got a free pen and pencil out of Hertford, get in!
WHAT! You went to Cambridge?! How dare you show your face here after that...

Haha joking. :tongue: That's odd though, as Cambridge is usually the one that's more 'posh' - at least, that's how it's perceived. As you said, you didn't visit the colleges - just like Oxford I'm sure Cambridge has very nice and not-nice colleges. Or at least college applicants.

By the way, we have a Facebook group now! Do join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxford2012entry

well I visited specifically the science area/talks etc so I naturally felt very at home :P there were probobly many posh people there aswell I just didn't notice them as much.

I'm not sure I want to join haha you'll all know what I look like and how wierd I actually am :P

Also i feel I should say i dont mean to be offensive when describing people as 'posh'. obviously not all people from the south or who are upper class are horrible so apologies for generalising; just the ones i met in oxford happened to be :P
Original post by tgarrud
x

Not to be creepy, but your username makes sense now! In fact, quite a few people's names make sense now that I can see your real ones...

Oh by the way that's not (exactly) my real name on Facebook. I tend to use fake names for whatever reason. For example I was Julie Literature at one point... then River Song when Series 6 of Doctor Who came out... yeah. I'll stop talking now.
Original post by Denzer
The history tutors today were so transparent that it put me off slightly, they literally don't care about the personal statement, getting an interview is completely based on the HAT. To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie.

I am now definitely going Wadham its truly awesome :biggrin: Worcester, Balliol and Univ all seem quite dull, although of those Balliol is the best, just because it has a giant Connect 4 set.

wadham was so gooooooddd
Not to be creepy, but your username makes sense now! In fact, quite a few people's names make sense now that I can see your real ones...

haha yeah well my username was never particularly cryptic :P
My thoughts have been on Oxford these days... My doodles in class today:

Spoiler

Yeah there have been progressively more doodles over more pages of notes...

5 hours of Chemistry, 7 days a week, with only a 20-minute break each day gets a bit dull sometimes... :K:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2568

Spoiler

5 hours of Chemistry, 7 days a week, with only a 20-minute break each day gets a bit dull sometimes... :K:

You do FIVE hours of chem EVERY DAY??????? =O
Original post by candide
You do FIVE hours of chem EVERY DAY??????? =O

Summer course, yeah. >_<

Last year's course was fun since it was a law course - really relaxed, we all had our laptops connected to the school's (not my regular one) free wi-fi... Basically we did a bit of learning and work each day, the rest of the day was spent talking/playing games on our laptops.

This year is a lot more... academic. :frown: Test every day too.

Spoiler

I used to sleep during my chemistry lessons if that's any consolation :colondollar:

there were only 13 in our class too, awkward :mmm:
Reply 2571
Summer course, yeah. >_<

Last year's course was fun since it was a law course - really relaxed, we all had our laptops connected to the school's (not my regular one) free wi-fi... Basically we did a bit of learning and work each day, the rest of the day was spent talking/playing games on our laptops.

Ah,

lol I've never of anyone doing a summer course. Is it like in your normal school, or is it a special summer school thing?
Summer course, yeah. >_<

If I had to do chemistry for 5 hours a day 7 days a week I would kill myself :biggrin: So are those summer courses voluntary? Or do you have to do them
They're voluntary. :biggrin:

Original post by candide
Ah,

lol I've never of anyone doing a summer course. Is it like in your normal school, or is it a special summer school thing?

Well... the curriculum is the same as 'day school', we still have exams and everything... the marks are just like regular school (though some Canadian unis don't accept core courses done during the summer). The only thing that is different is that the course is longer (usually we have 4 periods + 1 period of lunch in day school, each being 75 minutes), but the day is shorter (ends at 1:30 rather than 2:50). Also, obviously, the term is shorter as we only have a month to go through 5 months' worth of material... >_>

The plus side is that you only have one course, so it's easy to focus, and you're not exactly stressed. Also, you can get a course over with in one month, if you're not really fond of it, or the teachers at your normal school for that subject are bad. As well, people love taking summer school so they can have more courses. Usually the maximum courses per school year is 8, so people who want to take a lot of different courses like to take summer school. The downside is you lose part of your summer and it's very boring at times.

Yeah. Since the physics teacher is really bad at my school there are *A LOT* of people at my school taking physics this semester. Then they're taking the rest of... okay this sounds silly but we call it 'the Asian 6-pack' of Chem, Physics, Bio, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, and Data Management (Statistics)... then the required course of English. The last spot they either take a spare (free period = less coursework = less stress) or they take something they actually like.

Yep. XD That was a long explanation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Well... the curriculum is the same as 'day school', we still have exams and everything... the marks are just like regular school (though some Canadian unis don't accept core courses done during the summer). The only thing that is different is that the course is longer (usually we have 4 periods + 1 period of lunch in day school, each being 75 minutes), but the day is shorter (ends at 1:30 rather than 2:50). Also, obviously, the term is shorter as we only have a month to go through 5 months' worth of material... >_>

The plus side is that you only have one course, so it's easy to focus, and you're not exactly stressed. Also, you can get a course over with in one month, if you're not really fond of it, or the teachers at your normal school for that subject are bad. As well, people love taking summer school so they can have more courses. Usually the maximum courses per school year is 8, so people who want to take a lot of different courses like to take summer school. The downside is you lose part of your summer and it's very boring at times.

Yeah. Since the physics teacher is really bad at my school there are *A LOT* of people at my school taking physics this semester. Then they're taking the rest of... okay this sounds silly but we call it the asian 6-pack of Chem, Physics, Bio, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, and Data Management (Statistics)... then the required course of English. Then they have either a spare or they take something they actually like...

That sounds interesting! I wish we had something like that over here!
Original post by banterbury_tales
I got to speak to a couple of tutors at Brasenose about applying for languages (for anyone doing French they recommended Annie Ernaux and Voltaire's short stories as good things to read to prepare). They were nice, if not a teensy bit intimidating!Then my wonderful mummy bought me some booooooks at Blackwells! And we ate lunch at Wagamama! I love Wagamama!

Interestingly, at Merton, they refused to give any suggestions because otherwise "everyone would read the same books and we'd get bored after about two days", according to the language tutors. But I love researching Sturm und Drang and Weimarer Klassik, because I'm a foreign literature nerd and I can enthuse about it in interview until they give me a place simply to shut me up :redface:

Blackwells!! Did you also meet a cute French guy in the languages section? :mmm: And Wagamama IS amazing; I went there on V-Day with my then boyfriend and it was divine...

I can't join the facebook group because I stopped using Facebook in January. I'll get it back later this year simply to snoop around and see where all my peers are applying... :ninja:

Ahh, guess what guys! Today I found out that I've been awarded an OFFICIAL TITLE by the German Foreign Office!! I am now an official Ambassador For The German Language For Great Britain. OH. MY. GOD. I have a TITLE. We're having a super cool event in September to celebrate our partnership with the Goethe Institut, and the embassy will come, Michael Gove will come (as not only is he Education Secretary, but also our MP...yes, we got Govey....), we'll do a little presentation about our scholarship trip, there'll be posh German cakes ordered in from Richmond St in London :mmm: .... I'm SO excited. Personal statement, here I come!

On that note, we have UCAS day tomorrow. FUN TIMES.
Reply 2576

Yeah. Since the physics teacher is really bad at my school there are *A LOT* of people at my school taking physics this semester. Then they're taking the rest of... okay this sounds silly but we call it 'the Asian 6-pack' of Chem, Physics, Bio, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, and Data Management (Statistics)... then the required course of English. The last spot they either take a spare (free period = less coursework = less stress) or they take something they actually like.

I laughed at the Asian six-pack thing: politically incorrect but true!

Lol, required English is the bane of sciencey medicine wannabes at my school. We do five subjects in Scotland and you need 5 As to get into medicine. So they do Chem, Phys, Bio, Maths and obligatory English Lit. The result: despite 4 As in science/maths, loads of them have to give up on the dream after choking on Hamlet critical essay exams!
Bringing this post to the Oxford thread from UCAS:

Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
right, anyone applying to Oxford, I went today and really liked it, but, I'm not keen on the catered aspects of colleges, I know some still have some kitchen facilities for if you dont wanna eat with everyone else, but how realistic is it that I could do sort of a semi self catered semi catered mix?

I'm pretty sure most colleges in Oxford are 'pay-as-you-go'. So when you feel like eating in the halls, you can. If you don't feel like it, you can skip a meal, eat out, or cook yourself. Your choice, really.

I think a lot of students skip breakfast actually. XD

Original post by such_a_lady
x

Congrats on the official title! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Original post by candide
I laughed at the Asian six-pack thing: politically incorrect but true!

Lol, required English is the bane of sciencey medicine wannabes at my school. We do five subjects in Scotland and you need 5 As to get into medicine. So they do Chem, Phys, Bio, Maths and obligatory English Lit. The result: despite 4 As in science/maths, loads of them have to give up on the dream after choking on Hamlet critical essay exams!

Yes, well, my school is a nerd school with a comparatively high prevalence of Asians (myself included >.>)... xD Anyway. *cough*

I know. Ugh. Sometimes I wish English wasn't compulsory so that people who hate English can gtfo and the rest of us can happily chat about Hamlet into oblivion... :moon: I tried taking Literature Studies this year... there weren't enough students to make a class. -_-
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm pretty sure most colleges in Oxford are 'pay-as-you-go'. So when you feel like eating in the halls, you can. If you don't feel like it, you can skip a meal, eat out, or cook yourself. Your choice, really.

I think a lot of students skip breakfast actually. XD

Imagine sitting in one of those halls eating cornflakes...
Reply 2579
Original post by such_a_lady

Ahh, guess what guys! Today I found out that I've been awarded an OFFICIAL TITLE by the German Foreign Office!! I am now an official Ambassador For The German Language For Great Britain. OH. MY. GOD. I have a TITLE. We're having a super cool event in September to celebrate our partnership with the Goethe Institut, and the embassy will come, Michael Gove will come (as not only is he Education Secretary, but also our MP...yes, we got Govey....), we'll do a little presentation about our scholarship trip, there'll be posh German cakes ordered in from Richmond St in London :mmm: .... I'm SO excited. Personal statement, here I come!

On that note, we have UCAS day tomorrow. FUN TIMES.

Gah, thats really cool! =D Congratulations! Do you get a medal or anything to wear??

(lol, can you imagine the British government ever appointing Ambassadors for Estuary (as opposed to blasted American) English?)

Latest

Trending

Trending