Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arhall92)
    Has anyone else got Primary interviews for Gloucestershire or Chichester next week? Very nervous! Also has anyone heard anything from Bath Spa? Haven't heard anything from them
    I've applied for Bath Spa as well, for early years. I haven't heard anything from any of mine, not even an email acknowledgement. It's not even been a week yet and I'm already a nervous wreck, especially as so many people are getting interviews. My other places are UWE and Somerset SCITT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I wouldn't say anyone here has been unprofessional in their actual emails to referees. I've seen plenty of people whining on here (including me!) but it's fine to complain here because it's not like our references will see.

I have my first skills test booked for Friday, and I'm hoping my application will be in then.
    You don't have to have your references in to sit the skills tests. As long as you have actually submitted your part of the application you are fine. Take a print out of the application form and of your UCAS id number. I did mine on Friday and they didn't ask for any proof at all which was weird. It wasn't until I left that I realised. I was so stressed at the time to remember what they were meant to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainconehead)
    Still waiting on my 2nd reference which is very stressful.

Does anyone know if the 2 week rule for closing courses actually includes the Thursday as a full day or is Wednesday the last day to have references submitted??

I'm applying for history at edge hill, liverpool and Manchester and I'm in a panic that they will all close on Thursday.

Edge Hill is my 1st choice as it is round the corner from me so really keen to get it in before they potentially close and fill up all the places!
    I have also applied for secondary history. Not at any of the unis you have though. I'm not sure if it is Wednesday or Thursday and two weeks is only a minimum the unis keep their applications open for... I do however know that some people have already got interviews schedules for History at Edge Hill.

Best of luck with the application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew240)
    Yippeeee, got an interview in early January for Secondary History at Edge Hill !

Why are people so worried about skill tests before application/slightly after? I haven't even booked mine yet, should I get them done before my interview?

Andy
    Congratulations!!!
    I haven't done the skills test yet, I was going to book them if I got an interview. I know some unis prefer you to have them before interviews - but it depends on the uni.

There are practice ones online which are useful...

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't got a referee to send a reference off yet! I reminded him on Monday and he said he'll try to do it sometime this week, so hopefully it'll done soon. Does anybody have any advice on what to do if he doesn't do it?

Well done to everybody who has interviews already! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I should bother emailing the Headteacher for my reference. He only accepted the request last Thursday. The last time I emailed him was a week before that, to check if he had received the reference request which he didn't reply to. Then last Thursday I sent him another ucas email notification.. Partly by accident and he accepted that.
    I kinda think I should leave it and just let him do it whenever he wants. But then I do think I should email him just to let him know that he needs to hurry up a bit (in a professional way) because all I am waiting for is him to do my reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    I don't know if I should bother emailing the Headteacher for my reference. He only accepted the request last Thursday. The last time I emailed him was a week before that, to check if he had received the reference request which he didn't reply to. Then last Thursday I sent him another ucas email notification.. Partly by accident and he accepted that.
    I kinda think I should leave it and just let him do it whenever he wants. But then I do think I should email him just to let him know that he needs to hurry up a bit (in a professional way) because all I am waiting for is him to do my reference.
    I emailed the head teacher I've been volunteering with and just said that I realise that this is a very busy time of year and he's got a lot to do, but UCAS allows applications to close on the 5th December and the universities I'm applying to have already starting offering interviews to candidates, so I'd really appreciate it if she could do it as soon as possible. I also added if she couldn't do it, could she let me know so that I had time to organise another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etiquette)
    I emailed the head teacher I've been volunteering with and just said that I realise that this is a very busy time of year and he's got a lot to do, but UCAS allows applications to close on the 5th December and the universities I'm applying to have already starting offering interviews to candidates, so I'd really appreciate it if she could do it as soon as possible. I also added if she couldn't do it, could she let me know so that I had time to organise another one.
    Did she reply to you? This puts us in such a difficult position because I know the Headteacher is busy and this is not his priority so I don't want to nag him and be annoying etc but then if I leave it, he might forget or take even longer and it's a risk for me then .. So annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Did she reply to you? This puts us in such a difficult position because I know the Headteacher is busy and this is not his priority so I don't want to nag him and be annoying etc but then if I leave it, he might forget or take even longer and it's a risk for me then .. So annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is a tough one. Like people have said they are doing you favours and they are very very very busy!

But at the same time if people asked for a reference a while ago they are not being rushed now. As a teacher I personally would write a reference ASAP if someone asked and save it somewhere, as I wouldn't want to have to hold them up later on and I'd also find it easier to remember stuff sooner rather than later! But maybe that's just because I've only just graduated so know the system now a bit better. Plus I know the urgency of this year due to extra applications if it's for PGCE.

On the other hand if I had only found out recently so not pre-written it it might not be possible to do it quickly, due to the sudden and nature driven deadline of things you have to do in teaching, let alone if you're a head!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chumpyjumpy)
    Yes! Got an interview at MMU for Social Science, happy bunny
    well done! me too, is yours on the 11th? seems like a really relaxed interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It is a tough one. Like people have said they are doing you favours and they are very very very busy!

But at the same time if people asked for a reference a while ago they are not being rushed now. As a teacher I personally would write a reference ASAP if someone asked and save it somewhere, as I wouldn't want to have to hold them up later on and I'd also find it easier to remember stuff sooner rather than later! But maybe that's just because I've only just graduated so know the system now a bit better. Plus I know the urgency of this year due to extra applications if it's for PGCE.

On the other hand if I had only found out recently so not pre-written it it might not be possible to do it quickly, due to the sudden and nature driven deadline of things you have to do in teaching, let alone if you're a head!

xxx
    Yeah I do wonder if I gave him enough time as I asked him a week before ucas opened.. But then it's been two weeks now..actually three if you count the week before. I thought it had to be the Headteacher and thought it was a strict requirement and that's the only reason why I asked him. Otherwise, I would have asked the deputy head who organised my placement and who I spoke to whilst I was there, she is much more friendly and approachable than the head and I asked her for a reference for camp america and she literally wrote it in a day. So I do think she would have been like you, wanting to get it done ASAP. Anyway, I've emailed the Headteacher and asked him politely if he could do it ASAP and explained why, and also mentioned about it being acceptable for the deputy head to do if he doesn't have time etc. so hopefully, he will reply. I think it's when they don't reply, it's the worst because you don't know what's going on then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh! Finally got my application sent off on Friday and I passed my skills tests today! Now the wait begins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rso101)
    You don't have to have your references in to sit the skills tests. As long as you have actually submitted your part of the application you are fine. Take a print out of the application form and of your UCAS id number. I did mine on Friday and they didn't ask for any proof at all which was weird. It wasn't until I left that I realised. I was so stressed at the time to remember what they were meant to be doing.
    Some user on here emailed the people that organise the tests and they said that you have to have your application fully sent with refs included before you can sit the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etiquette)
    How did you do it? I volunteer at a school and my referee is the teacher I work with so I have to ask him to get the Head Teacher sign the reference or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Some user on here emailed the people that organise the tests and they said that you have to have your application fully sent with refs included before you can sit the test.
    Yeah I think Pearson Vue are quite strict with it, but I did it at a university and the woman said they just ignore what Pearson Vue say and that I could do the tests at what times I wanted and in what order I felt like. She also said she just needs 'some sort of evidence that you've applied somewhere' and didn't give it a good look. So I think it depends on the place but it is probably a bit risky to go in before you've fully sent the application as you will miss out on your free chance and only have two chances left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, did it turn out at the end?

I am volunteering at a school and I need the Head Teacher (whom I have never seen) write my reference. Would it be okay if the teacher I work with write it and the Head Teacher just send it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Hi, did it turn out at the end?

I am volunteering at a school and I need the Head Teacher (whom I have never seen) write my reference. Would it be okay if the teacher I work with write it and the Head Teacher just send it?
    Well, I've only just sent the email tonight so he'll probs reply tomorrow so will let you know. Yeah I'm sure that would be fine, and I think the head teacher would probs do that, or at least speak to the teacher about you first before writing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your payment has been made and your application has sent successfully to us.

Ahhhhhhhhh /falls over. She did it just in time and at half ten this evening no less... I'm no longer annoyed aha. I'm bringing my character reference some flowers when I next visit her, would like to give my academic something too, but don't feel the flowers/chocolate angle would be suitable for her. Hmm.
    So relieved! To those still waiting, I really hope yours gets it done before you stress as much as/more than I have today!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I have a question regarding interview dates. I have applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

I am going on a short trip to Paris for a uni thing in February and I am worried that maybe I will get an interview date set whilst I'm away. Do you know how possible it is to change an interview date or if it is just not possible? :/

The whole idea of both things clashing is giving me the fear!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    Hi guys I have a question regarding interview dates. I have applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

I am going on a short trip to Paris for a uni thing in February and I am worried that maybe I will get an interview date set whilst I'm away. Do you know how possible it is to change an interview date or if it is just not possible? :/

The whole idea of both things clashing is giving me the fear!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is a section in the uCAS application where you put the dates you are not available for interviews.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.