Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
nurav11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fizzers)
Yeah, I'm actually in a Medicine/NatSci dilemma (although Natsci is starting to win me over) haha. Well, all the best for your studies and hoep we both get in!
Ohh ok, two of the best choices imo . I guess if you are more keen on the academic side of medicine and learning about biochemistry in general, natsci is probably the better course. Maybe if it's more 'social' side you want as well as the academic side then medicine is better. Ultimately, do what you really want to do in the end and yeh thanks, best of luck to you too and hope we can too! :P.

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
I chose natsci, kinda wish I went for med
Sounds like you could easily do grad medicine judging by your offers :P (well done on them by the way!), if you're really feeling like you're missing out on medicine then change but your career prospects are set with a degree in natsci from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Fair enough
If you ever become a doctor you will probably be able to pay the postgrad money back :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to go into investment banking to make lots of money so I can go into grad entry without stressing about debts

(Original post by nurav11)
Ohh ok, two of the best choices imo . I guess if you are more keen on the academic side of medicine and learning about biochemistry in general, natsci is probably the better course. Maybe if it's more 'social' side you want as well as the academic side then medicine is better. Ultimately, do what you really want to do in the end and yeh thanks, best of luck to you too and hope we can too! :P.

Sounds like you could easily do grad medicine judging by your offers :P (well done on them by the way!), if you're really feeling like you're missing out on medicine then change but your career prospects are set with a degree in natsci from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks got rejected by St A though so probably couldn't get in there for gem lol

I don't want to drop out with a Cambridge offer tbh, we live long enough, I'm sure I'll have time time for both! (unless something tragic happens)
nurav11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks got rejected by St A though so probably couldn't get in there for gem lol

I don't want to drop out with a Cambridge offer tbh, we live long enough, I'm sure I'll have time time for both! (unless something tragic happens)
Yep haha definitely but at least these are the decisions you want to be making. But you seem set on your path which is great .

Posted from TSR Mobile
fizzers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I chose natsci, kinda wish I went for med
Really? Unless you really want to become an actual doctor you can always do biological NatSci and do physiology?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fizzers)
Really? Unless you really want to become an actual doctor you can always do biological NatSci and do physiology?
No way lol

Would have to be an actual doctor
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No way lol

Would have to be an actual doctor
Did you not consider Med? Or did you blindly chose NatSci?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Protoxylic)
Did you not consider Med? Or did you blindly chose NatSci?
It wasn't blind, bit harsh :lol:

I thought about Medicine, I knew I wouldn't volunteer and do all the necessary crap right now. All the hoop jumping so it would have been a futile application I imagine.
Lucilou101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It wasn't blind, bit harsh :lol:

I thought about Medicine, I knew I wouldn't volunteer and do all the necessary crap right now. All the hoop jumping so it would have been a futile application I imagine.
I think this highlights that you don't really want to do Medicine/be a Doctor. All that 'necessary crap' and 'hoop jumping' wouldn't be seen that way if so.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lucilou101)
I think this highlights that you don't really want to do Medicine/be a Doctor. All that 'necessary crap' and 'hoop jumping' wouldn't be seen that way if so.
That's not a fair assessment at all. Everyone knows it's a load of crap, even medics say it.

It is indeed hoop jumping, and you can't argue that.

A good doctor is someone who cares, can work under pressure, can manage and work as part of a team and communicate.

Just because you work in a charity shop once a week doesn't mean you are an amazing compassionate person.

If you asked how many people volunteered for the sake of their application, the number of people would be much higher than you'd think.
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
That's not a fair assessment at all. Everyone knows it's a load of crap, even medics say it.

A good doctor is someone who cares, can work under pressure, can manage and work as part of a team and communicate.

Just because you work in a charity shop once a week doesn't mean you are an amazing compassionate person.

If you asked how many people volunteered for the sake of their application, the number of people would be much higher than you'd think.
I thought charity shops don't count as working in a caring position?

I volunteer in one and don't have to care for anyone lol
Bazbaz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is anyone here going to the Open days? I'm going to Pembroke's on July 2nd, then gonna hang around for the one on the 3rd as well
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by enaayrah)
I thought charity shops don't count as working in a caring position?

I volunteer in one and don't have to care for anyone lol
Good citizen, ready to help apparently.

The caring is probably elderly care home, orphanages or something
Lucilou101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm not denying people do it just for their application, and of course, much of it is tedious.

But for those who really want to do the course and career, it is a small price to pay and they are willing to do it or more in order to give themselves the best chance.
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

How's everyone revision going on?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lucilou101)
I'm not denying people do it just for their application, and of course, much of it is tedious.

But for those who really want to do the course and career, it is a small price to pay and they are willing to do it or more in order to give themselves the best chance.
I'd rather help when I'm older and in a position to actually make a difference to people, use that in my application, then apply.
Lucilou101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd rather help when I'm older and in a position to actually make a difference to people, use that in my application, then apply.
There are many ways to volunteer which make a difference at any age. But best of luck with NatSci and whatever you choose to do after!
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile

How's everyone revision going on?
I have a ton of 'pre-revison', basically homeworks and making notes on topics I've just finished in class, to do but the sun is out and I feel happy so I've decided to dress up a little today

So basically I'm not doing anything :lol:
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a ton of 'pre-revison', basically homeworks and making notes on topics I've just finished in class, to do but the sun is out and I feel happy so I've decided to dress up a little today

So basically I'm not doing anything :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, today for me it's just chemistry resources and Biology Unit 2 revision,followed by a all nighter of C2 revision.
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, today for me it's just chemistry resources and Biology Unit 2 revision,followed by a all nighter of C2 revision.
Why not take breaks during the weekend? Don't burden yourself too much because you might collapse. Take it leisurely and sometimes do things that have nothing to do with studying, just to keep your mind fresh
username1533709
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why not take breaks during the weekend? Don't burden yourself too much because you might collapse. Take it leisurely and sometimes do things that have nothing to do with studying, just to keep your mind fresh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel Like I hadn't done enough revision on the 1st week,only like 4 hrs a day and almost all of it was physics,so I should spend more time revising in my other subjects to compensate.

Not to mention my holiday needs the week after this week,and I have a Chemistry test on mostly unit 2 with unit 1 bits thrown in,so I would like to see all.my hard work since March on chemistry revision pay off.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads