• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by emem2011)
    Hi
    Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it

Something I noticed was that only 10% of applicants had two sciences and one non-science subject... does anyone know why this is? Is it just the typical stereotype that you must have physics or maths? If only 7% of people who got accepted had only two science A Levels then that worries me slightly haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People only studying two science subjects are underrepresented in offer-holders compared to the pool of applicants but it's impossible to say whether this is causative or simply because people with only two science subjects tend to have weaker applications in general (i.e. a correlative relationship which is entirely possible) or something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    My exams officer said it wasn't setting stone when I put that down so hopefully she's right - I guess they just need to have a college to send it to so that someone can mark it!
    Hi - my school also asked for a college on the ELAT form, I put down the one I am applying to but I know my school use it to make sure they don't have half the year applying to the same college too - I'm sure you can amend it at a later date or apply elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Have people been preparing for the Elat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Honestly no! I've got another 2 weeks (internal deadline) to finish my personal statement so I'm basically working on that and once I've finished it I'll probably start going over past/unseen papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    People only studying two science subjects are underrepresented in offer-holders compared to the pool of applicants but it's impossible to say whether this is causative or simply because people with only two science subjects tend to have weaker applications in general (i.e. a correlative relationship which is entirely possible) or something else.
    Hmm yes that's an interesting possibility too, in that overall applications are weaker especially if you take into account BMAT has both maths and physics elements. I just chose a third non-science subject because I really enjoy it. I feel as though it will make me a better all-round individual in the sense that I will be able to analyse situations and look deeper into scenarios more than if I'd chosen a different third subject. I'm just really hoping it doesn't disadvantage me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've done some of the practice papers online, and I really like the ELAT personally, as weird as that sounds! Its nice to be able to write your own question around the key word and structure an argument you want to make. I think i'll start properly practicing next month.

Are you applying to study straight English or a joint degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I haven't started yet, will probably start in earnest after my PS is sent off to be honest! Just a general question for anyone doing the ELAT, what is the norm; to choose two texts and compare or three texts? Only I did one practice paper and compared three texts but paragraphing went to pot! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    I've done some of the practice papers online, and I really like the ELAT personally, as weird as that sounds! Its nice to be able to write your own question around the key word and structure an argument you want to make. I think i'll start properly practicing next month.

Are you applying to study straight English or a joint degree?
    I am applying for straight English. What about you and what college?

And yeah, I get what you mean, there is quite a lot of freedom to explore what you want as the question is quite vague. My tutor told me to just enjoy it and try not to worry so much and he went to Oxford to do English only a few years back He said he didn't do that well in it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    Hi I haven't started yet, will probably start in earnest after my PS is sent off to be honest! Just a general question for anyone doing the ELAT, what is the norm; to choose two texts and compare or three texts? Only I did one practice paper and compared three texts but paragraphing went to pot! Thanks
    Hey, well I went to a talk about it the other day from a second year at Oxford studying English. She said just do whatever is managable for you, she said she found it difficult to do three so she only did two.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well I went to a talk about it the other day from a second year at Oxford studying English. She said just do whatever is managable for you, she said she found it difficult to do three so she only did two.
    Thanks for the info...tbh the papers I've seen so far seem pretty fun it's just getting the timing sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info...tbh the papers I've seen so far seem pretty fun it's just getting the timing sorted!
    Which college are you thinking of? Is it for straight English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chicken15642)
    I'm going to be going to Worcester College. If you were wondering why I chose it then I'd say it is a stunning college and I just adored the environment there!

The videos probably won't be up until I actually start at Oxford, if you want to PM me then feel free (I might be a little slow replying, I'm trying to get all my things sorted for uni)!

I've just checked and the HAT is on the 4th of November, so I'll try and get up a video on how I approached it about a month before. I don't want to post videos until I'm actually there - weird I know, I just would prefer to be able to talk about my experience being an "official fresher"- so it will probably be up around the 6th of October. Feel free to PM me any questions you have before then (although I'm no expert and I'm still slightly bemused as to how I even got in)

Sorry for any grammar/spelling errors, I had to write this in a real rush!!!!!
    I'm about to start my second year of history at Worcester college ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I'm about to start my second year of history at Worcester college ☺️
    I find it funny that your name sounds like a mathematician!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for straight English. What about you and what college?

And yeah, I get what you mean, there is quite a lot of freedom to explore what you want as the question is quite vague. My tutor told me to just enjoy it and try not to worry so much and he went to Oxford to do English only a few years back He said he didn't do that well in it either.
    That is really reassuring! I'm applying for straight English as well, at Oriel College. What about you?

I'm really happy with my grades, its just my subject choices that will weaken my application so I'm not really sure if I'll even get an interview (even though 60% ish do get an interview for English which is pretty good)

ReputationRep:
    Which college are you thinking of? Is it for straight English?
    Yep straight English all the way I'm applying to Somerville I think - although I've not actually visited it yet. What about you? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I find it funny that your name sounds like a mathematician!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's got more to do with art ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    That is really reassuring! I'm applying for straight English as well, at Oriel College. What about you?

I'm really happy with my grades, its just my subject choices that will weaken my application so I'm not really sure if I'll even get an interview (even though 60% ish do get an interview for English which is pretty good)
    Wadham I think , I am applying post a2 so I got my grades, I just need the Elat to go well. What are you subject choices?

ReputationRep:
    Yep straight English all the way I'm applying to Somerville I think - although I've not actually visited it yet. What about you? x
    I am thinking wadham, love the atmoshere and the students. Why Somerville?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    It's got more to do with art ☺️
    I thought Maths too when I first saw it, actually!

ReputationRep:
    My local British council requires me to submit my TSA application forms tomorrow, but I didn't complete my UCAS application yet. Is this a problem? I've my UCAS ID, and only it is required in the form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.