Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nétajcr)
    London's waveyyy, don't choose Oxbridge just because of the name, mate. London unis are soo reputable as well, especially LSE, King's and UCL. The atmosphere you get, the experiences that there are to have and everything that London has to offer make up for the higher living costs, which people exaggerate anyway imo. You'll love it here

Of course, going to Cambridge or Oxford would be amazing in terms of the degree, job prospects etc., but you have to understand that the workload and environment, and the cities, aren't for everyone. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm also guessing that the kinds of people you'd meet at the London unis especially would be much more eclectic than those you'd find at Oxbridge.

In reply to jchap btw lmao
    This post makes me too happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    This post makes me too happy
    ^^^ PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    My man! Mate London is a must for me and I'm defo going next year, be it ucl or lse. Are you already at uni then? I'm guessing it's as sick as it seems 😁😁 defo want to join the AU for the unlimited amount of fun that it brings haha
    Haha, great choices mate! Excellent unis, right in the heart of London as well! Nah, I'm not in uni yet, I'm in year 13 applying to go - it should be great 👊 Definitely bags of fun to be had in London man, no question.
    As for me, I'm looking to do the opposite and move out of London, just for a bit of a change really. Currently having a 'mare 'cause I want to change the course I'm gonna do at uni after already having sent off UCAS and everything but, in terms of my new course, Sheffield, Cardiff, Nottingham do it and I've read good things about all of them so 👌
    Anyways, life story complete, good choice with those unis, man. You can't go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    My man! Mate London is a must for me and I'm defo going next year, be it ucl or lse. Are you already at uni then? I'm guessing it's as sick as it seems 😁😁 defo want to join the AU for the unlimited amount of fun that it brings haha
    Haha, great choices mate! Excellent unis, right in the heart of London as well! Nah, I'm not in uni yet, I'm in year 13 applying to go - it should be great 👊 Definitely bags of fun to be had in London man, no question.
    As for me, I'm looking to do the opposite and move out of London, just for a bit of a change really. Currently having a 'mare 'cause I want to change the course I'm gonna do at uni after already having sent off UCAS and everything but, in terms of my new course, Sheffield, Cardiff, Nottingham do it and I've read good things about all of them so 👌

Anyways, life story complete, good choice with those unis, man. You can't go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    *Fast forward 9 months*

I am taken a gap year and looking to re apply to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Warwick

- I have 5A*4A at GCSE level
    - I have 4A* at A-Level in economics (91.5%), maths (90.0%), F. Maths (92.0%) and physics (90.0%)
    - Spent gap year volunteering in Tanzania (also climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro)and Asia and have also gained a 10week internship in an investment bank for the summer and have spent the rest of the year in an asset-management firm and an economics consultant firm
    - In target 2.0 team, (past first round so far)
    - Also a strong rower and looking to compete in the British Rowing Championships in the near future

What do you think are my chances for Cambridge and LSE especially? (considering gap year)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nétajcr)

Cheers mate, ah fair enough - I can imagine that after living in London it's worth a bit of a change, what course are you switching to? Heard good stuff about all those unis g, social life there is supposed to pretty buzzing! 🎉 thanks again bud and good luck with your applications 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xeroth)
    *Fast forward 9 months*

I am taken a gap year and looking to re apply to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Warwick

- I have 4A* at A-Level in economics (91.5%), maths (90.0%), F. Maths (92.0%) and physics (90.0%)
    - Spent gap year volunteering in Tanzania (also climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro)and Asia and have also gained a 10week internship in an investment bank for the summer and have spent the rest of the year in an asset-management firm and an economics consultant firm
    - Also a strong rower and looking to compete in the British Rowing Championships in the near future

What do you think are my chances for Cambridge and LSE especially? (considering gap year)

Thanks
    Defo worth applying, think your extracurriculars will make up for any UMS-whoring by lse/camb so it's defo worth the application

ReputationRep:
    *Fast forward 9 months*

Thanks
    Uhm I'd say you have a good shot anywhere tbh, obviously you need to take into account interviews & PS etc though. 5A* at gcse isn't particularly mind boggling but that shouldn't disadvantage you much, if not at all. Where did you apply this year?

ReputationRep:
    *Fast forward 9 months*

Thanks
    I am slightly confused. Are those your grades right now or are those what you're expecting/predicting to get this year?

GCSE's are fine for all of them.

UMS might be a bit low for Camb, but you have the A2s in hand and with 3A*s+ you're guaranteed an interview, since you qualify for auto-pool, and from there anything is possible.

The Target 2.0 and Economic Consulting will look good since they're relevant, but the rest they won't care too much about.

Overall, I'd say you *should* get Warwick and UCL, and you stand a decent chance with Camb and LSE but nothing's guaranteed. With LSE you'll need an impeccable PS, so start drafting early on from August/September I'd say so it can be polished by October, get as many people you know to read it over, use the PS service on here if you're extra keen and they offer good advice on their website so check that out. For Cambridge you'll need a reasonable performance at interview, so make sure you're up to scratch with your school Maths/Econ, go beyond the syllabus by looking up some more advanced text and think of ways Maths can be applied to Econ, keeping up with news/current affairs won't hurt either.

If you play your cards right, you can end up with a clean sweep of offers. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, ah fair enough - I can imagine that after living in London it's worth a bit of a change, what course are you switching to? Heard good stuff about all those unis g, social life there is supposed to pretty buzzing! ������ thanks again bud and good luck with your applications ������
    Ahaa, thanks man Wanna switch from Spanish and Film to Spanish and Economics. Think it's gonna end up being a case of getting good grades and calling them up during clearing/adjustment time to see what I can do. Obvs I'll see what they say once I've e-mailed them...Yeah, you too, man. Good luck with it all!!

ReputationRep:
    Any of the Cambridge pool interviewees heard anything yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Ooh I'm keen to hear your criteria, I had specific criteria too that made it easy to cut my choices down (although camb doesn't actch fit it haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Relatively small university, relatively small town; NOT a big university with buildings sprawling all over the city; high student satisfaction; proportion of 1sts/2.1s; satisfaction for individual course (as opposed to overall NSS result); decent reputation; employability events etc; 'extra' years available for work experience and/or year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Relatively small university, relatively small town; NOT a big university with buildings sprawling all over the city; high student satisfaction; proportion of 1sts/2.1s; satisfaction for individual course (as opposed to overall NSS result); decent reputation; employability events etc; 'extra' years available for work experience and/or year abroad.
    Fair play yours is a very specific criteria haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Fair play yours is a very specific criteria haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My only fear now is that I go to one of my carefully selected uni's and get disappointed for some reason like not enough going on or something XD.

What were your criteria?

ReputationRep:
    My only fear now is that I go to one of my carefully selected uni's and get disappointed for some reason like not enough going on or something XD.

What were your criteria?
    I've studied chinese up to AS so I wanted to have the opportunity to continue that in some way at university, although I'm pretty sure I won't have time at cambridge aha

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either bath or Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What a roller-coaster ride it's been for me today. Sent to the skies with an offer for straight econs at LSE but crashed right down with a rejection from Cambridge just an hour later. Cambridge was my top choice but oh well delighted with LSE (which I just firmed) as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onlydabest)
    What a roller-coaster ride it's been for me today. Sent to the skies with an offer for straight econs at LSE but crashed right down with a rejection from Cambridge just an hour later. Cambridge was my top choice but oh well delighted with LSE (which I just firmed) as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all 4 places I applied to got back to me last year. Apart from a pre-interview rejection from Oxford I got offers from everywhere and am now trying to settle on a firm (Bath v Exeter).
    Are you going to the Economics open day at Bath?

ReputationRep:
    So happy just got my first offer which was from Sheffield for Economics sent it on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    So happy just got my first offer which was from Sheffield,sent it on Monday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.