Turn on thread page Beta

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyro)
    You get a case, normally a pretty **** one at the start that won't get much income. Taxi drivers, cafes, builders are typical cases that you'll get at first. You'll be lucky to get a couple of grand out of them. You read the notes on the case, write a review on it, and then start sending letters out. Essentially you want all records from the customer and to work out if they've fiddled the accounts. It's a lot more logical work than accounting or tax work to be honest. Bit boring at the start though.

25 to 35 hours of reading? Strongly disagree. I've found it to be closer to 15-20 hours for majority of subjects so far. Module 3 should require more work.

In Manchester we don't get 1 day of study per week. We get as much as we can justify. So if there's 15 hours of work for one module, we can take 2 days study leave for example.

Ahahahah, I was in Bootle too yesterday. We probably talked to each other during the ice breaker!
    Thanks for all the details.
    Are you a caseworker as well?or are you on TSP.
    Because your programme sounds very structured.
    So it is not actually the alternating 8am start and 8pm finish working pattern at all then?
    So for the caseworker role, is it a two year programme with training that could allow you to apply to go on the last two years of the tsp as well?
    Aside from the 'boring' cases you have mentioned, will you get anything more interesting at all. Would you need to travel around 70% of the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minty1616)
    Would it be possible for anyone already started working for hmrc to provide some insight on what's involved in a tax casework role please?
    I have worked for hmrc for 28 years . investigation work involves analysing business and personal financial documents . interviewing tax payers to understand if their lifestyle matches their income declared . a lot of giving them advice to enable them to comply . it's challenging and takes some bravery but it's interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukahontas)
    Looking at my training plan I genuinely can't see how it could be condensed to 3 months. Good luck.
    lol that's what I said - and that was being too negative apparently but I think it should be a Union matter. Anyway... what were you doing in the civil service before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jghn)
    Does anyone have a number for Liverpool? Still haven't had any contact about taking documents in.
    I'm waiting for a call to take my documents in but apparently there's no available appointments at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who s applied through internal 042R Campaign? My stutus is showing in reserve and email stating they will offer jobs on merit order. Wondered if anyone same as me or offered a role yet in preferred location?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamz115)
    lol that's what I said - and that was being too negative apparently but I think it should be a Union matter. Anyway... what were you doing in the civil service before?
    I've been in the civil service for 8 years.

DWP - AA
    Home Office - AO
    DWP - EO
    HMRC - EO and now HEO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyro)
    You get a case, normally a pretty **** one at the start that won't get much income. Taxi drivers, cafes, builders are typical cases that you'll get at first. You'll be lucky to get a couple of grand out of them. You read the notes on the case, write a review on it, and then start sending letters out. Essentially you want all records from the customer and to work out if they've fiddled the accounts. It's a lot more logical work than accounting or tax work to be honest. Bit boring at the start though.

25 to 35 hours of reading? Strongly disagree. I've found it to be closer to 15-20 hours for majority of subjects so far. Module 3 should require more work.

In Manchester we don't get 1 day of study per week. We get as much as we can justify. So if there's 15 hours of work for one module, we can take 2 days study leave for example.

Ahahahah, I was in Bootle too yesterday. We probably talked to each other during the ice breaker!
    My mistake then, a colleague of mine in Leeds has a friend doing the training in Manchester who told him they were getting study leave.

I'm going off the learning plan for the amount of hours for reading, each week totals 25-35 hours when you look through. I've found some parts were shorter or longer than stated but balanced out with the plan overall.

Well I'll give you a clue who I was yesterday, I was the only person in the room who wasn't from Manchester or Liverpool. Enjoyable day I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Is any one due to see Daren Cooley or from the 1321 campaign? Due to start 28th November? I just want to get an idea of what hours ppl have been offered as they don't want to change mine 😩

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waki7866)
    Whats the differ3nce between CCO and business and compliance?

It doesnt tell me which department i am in. just states after 12 weeks i will get allocated a team.

And i think everyone will realise that it will be 8 - 8 and might include weekends. it states that in my current contract but never had to work weekends or until 8.
    Waki7866 what campaign are you from? When did you start? I've been told after completing 12wks training then I'll get my contract and job role..I'm trying to get them to clarify the hours but they just keep saying 5/7 contract even though it states I MAY need to do weekends etc. It's ok if it doesn't go ahead but once it's in writing they got you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doll Parts)
    Before you hand your notice in, I would try and get full confirmation of the nature of your role, if you have childcare responsibilities. I started in VAT in September and my contract is certainly not 8-8, nor was there any mention of customer calls.
    It sounds more to me that you are being placed in personal tax or a customer contact role.

Hope it all works out for you x
    Do you mind if I ask what contract your on and do you know anybody doing 8-8 roles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Litts)
    Just had my formal offer, starting on 28/11.

Been waiting for this for ages and now I'm a little disappointed as I've been placed in Central Compliance Operations (CCO).

I'm gutted because the hours are:
    between 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday. You will be expected to work a flexible working pattern on a roster of shifts to cover these operating times which may include working Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays. You will be given four weeks’ notice of your shift pattern on a rolling basis.

Basically the worst department for someone who's worked flexi for 8 years.
    @litts was the hours set out in your contract as I got something similar but it didn't state the hours just said I may have to do it and will be given notice..what location are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I've been in the civil service for 8 years.

DWP - AA
    Home Office - AO
    DWP - EO
    HMRC - EO and now HEO
    Ah right what did you do exactly as an EO in HMRC and what's the difference toHO other than the pay obviously

ReputationRep:
    My mistake then, a colleague of mine in Leeds has a friend doing the training in Manchester who told him they were getting study leave.

I'm going off the learning plan for the amount of hours for reading, each week totals 25-35 hours when you look through. I've found some parts were shorter or longer than stated but balanced out with the plan overall.

Well I'll give you a clue who I was yesterday, I was the only person in the room who wasn't from Manchester or Liverpool. Enjoyable day I thought.
    What department are you in in Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody had any luck in changing their location or hours? Or are you getting a standard answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1Kim)
    @litts was the hours set out in your contract as I got something similar but it didn't state the hours just said I may have to do it and will be given notice..what location are you in?
    Sorry Kim, didn't get a notification for this.

What I posted was a paste of the offer letter itself (although I have since found out that the hours in Cardiff - where I will be based - are currently either 8-4.30, 8.30-5 or 9.00-5.30 (and you chose depending on availability) with a 12-8 shift once every 2 weeks and 8-4 on a saturday and sunday but that's every 9 weeks) so nowhere near as bad as first seems from the offer letter. They're just covering for all eventualities in the offer letter. However, they are taking on new staff in CCO so those frequencies could get worse or could get better I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Litts)
    Sorry Kim, didn't get a notification for this.

What I posted was a paste of the offer letter itself (although I have since found out that the hours in Cardiff - where I will be based - are currently either 8-4.30, 8.30-5 or 9.00-5.30 (and you chose depending on availability) with a 12-8 shift once every 2 weeks and 8-4 on a saturday and sunday but that's every 9 weeks) so nowhere near as bad as first seems from the offer letter. They're just covering for all eventualities in the offer letter. However, they are taking on new staff in CCO so those frequencies could get worse or could get better I suppose.
    Ah ok, do you know what role you will be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1Kim)
    Ah ok, do you know what role you will be doing?
    I've been told I will act as a tech spec for the EO's and deal with my own more complex cases.

I will be based in Central Compliance Operations (CCO), not sure what the cases will be but I gathered from the conversation that they work on projects of different industries.

Does your letter say which department you will be based in?

Where will you be location wise?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Litts;68474434]I've been told I will act as a tech spec for the EO's and deal with my own more complex cases.

I will be based in Central Compliance Operations (CCO), not sure what the cases will be but I gathered from the conversation that they work on projects of different industries.

Where will you be location wise?[/QUOTE ]

Ok thanks. Yeh it just says E&C, I phoned and queried the role but was told after completing the 12wks training then I will be put in to a team and given a job role and that is also when contracts would be issued. I'm just trying to clarify if these hours are set in stone/rotational and at completing training and contracts being issued is it possible to negotiate hours.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=1Kim;68474534]
    (Original post by Litts)
    I've been told I will act as a tech spec for the EO's and deal with my own more complex cases.

Where will you be location wise?[/QUOTE ]

Ok thanks. Yeh it just says E&C, I phoned and queried the role but was told after completing the 12wks training then I will be put in to a team and given a job role and that is also when contracts would be issued. I'm just trying to clarify if these hours are set in stone/rotational and at completing training and contracts being issued is it possible to negotiate hours.
    I don't work for HMRC so don't quote me but my understanding is that these are pretty standard contracts which cover all bases. So you may be put on a team which only works 9-5/Mon-Fri but you won't get a specific 9-5/Mon-Fri contract. You'll get a bog standard contract. That saves negotiations later if they decide your team needs to work one Saturday in 8, well it's already in the contract that you may have to work weekends. The same way you are told your main duties but there's always a clause saying you may be asked to do other stuff not listed in the main duties. Does this make sense?

They're obviously not in a position to tell you what your hours will be now because they haven't decided who's going on what team. Presumably, when that time comes, you would have a very reasonable case for asking for out of hours work to be very limited, due to childcare. I can't imagine them being unreasonable about this, but again, don't quote me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desimom)
    Is there anyone who s applied through internal 042R Campaign? My stutus is showing in reserve and email stating they will offer jobs on merit order. Wondered if anyone same as me or offered a role yet in preferred location?
    me! received the same email... we're not on a wait list yet - our application is on reserve and we'll find out soon whether we're going to be offered a post or put on the actual wait list...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.