Philosophy Applications 2010 Watch

jasmine90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by QED)
Because philosophy is :coma:, obviously.
Totally
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hahaha i just found some nice figures about philosophy degrees

Louisa_D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexterry)
hahaha i just found some nice figures about philosophy degrees

Haha!! Sad but unfortunatly pretty true what we do for philo ey!! I hate waiting for offers, im still sitting on my lonely one!
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Louisa_D)
Haha!! Sad but unfortunatly pretty true what we do for philo ey!! I hate waiting for offers, im still sitting on my lonely one!

Then on the other hand ... :o:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ighereducation
Louisa_D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Then on the other hand ... :o:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ighereducation
2006 though, i think we (once finished) should be the most employable, we can actually think, but im not bias or anything!
Devil in Your Details
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I decided to switch to Philosophy because of the course content, and I can switch to a legal career with the GDL after a Philosophy degree anyway. It'll probably end up making me more employable in the long run.

Also, metaphysics and philosophical studies of psychiatry :gthumb:
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Devil in Your Details)
I decided to switch to Philosophy because of the course content, and I can switch to a legal career with the GDL after a Philosophy degree anyway. It'll probably end up making me more employable in the long run.

Also, metaphysics and philosophical studies of psychiatry :gthumb:
Yeah I've planned for a conversion to law. GDL looks pretty tempting :o:

I figured it would be better for my first degree to be in a subject I knew I was passionate about. However,a conversion seems less and less tempting the more involved in my personal reading a become. Disillusioned with the idea of a stressful, high flying career...
Devil in Your Details
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I figured it would be better for my first degree to be in a subject I knew I was passionate about. However,a conversion seems less and less tempting the more involved in my personal reading a become. Disillusioned with the idea of a stressful, high flying career...
The GDL is a very nice option to have. I guess it all depends on what you want. There are many, many people turned off from careers such as law due to the involvement and work required.

Two of my friends are currently at Durham, both are Philosophy students. They both intended to go into law via the GDL route. One has just got a training contract with Slaughter & May, and the other is doing a masters, now planning to go into academia.

From what I gather, it is due to the reality of the career - hours, stress, etc. I have an open day at DLA Piper in January and one at Allen & Overy, and I'll probably decide off the back of those whether law is for me or not. I'll still be aiming for a profession, but whether or not it will be law is yet to be decided. Doing a non-law degree should help with that, I think.

You've got to remember, stress comes in all shapes and sizes. The easiest jobs to get (call centres, for example) can be just as stressful as a career in banking or law. I know, I did some call centre work when I was younger. Absolutely horrible stuff.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Devil in Your Details)
The GDL is a very nice option to have. I guess it all depends on what you want. There are many, many people turned off from careers such as law due to the involvement and work required.

Two of my friends are currently at Durham, both are Philosophy students. They both intended to go into law via the GDL route. One has just got a training contract with Slaughter & May, and the other is doing a masters, now planning to go into academia.

From what I gather, it is due to the reality of the career - hours, stress, etc. I have an open day at DLA Piper in January and one at Allen & Overy, and I'll probably decide off the back of those whether law is for me or not. I'll still be aiming for a profession, but whether or not it will be law is yet to be decided. Doing a non-law degree should help with that, I think.

You've got to remember, stress comes in all shapes and sizes. The easiest jobs to get (call centres, for example) can be just as stressful as a career in banking or law. I know, I did some call centre work when I was younger. Absolutely horrible stuff.
I have said this before but I find a solicitors role far more involved and appealing than a barristers. I think I would prefer to have a real connection to the case and clients. I did some work experience of with a personal injury firm (Barrett, Goff and Tomlinson). They were only a small firm but well respected in their field and sitting in on the interviews with clients you got a real sense of compassion which is not really an emotion thrown around in the world of work too much. That is really the big motivator for me when I look at a career in law.
Patienceistheword
Report 9 years ago
would you say any of these universities are good for philosophy? Kent, Manchester, KCL, Lancaster and gloucstershire? i know that KCL is a great one but what about the others? ive applied for religious studies and Philosophy combined.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Patienceistheword)
would you say any of these universities are good for philosophy? Kent, Manchester, KCL, Lancaster and gloucstershire? i know that KCL is a great one but what about the others? ive applied for religious studies and Philosophy combined.
In order of quality of course

KCL
Lancaster
Manchester
Kent
GL

In order of quality of lifestyle, cost, nightlife etc

Manchester
Huge Gap
KCL
Kent + Lancaster
GL
Patienceistheword
Report 9 years ago
In order of quality of course

KCL
Lancaster
Manchester
Kent
GL

In order of quality of lifestyle, cost, nightlife etc

Manchester
Huge Gap
KCL
Kent + Lancaster
GL

Thank you!
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Patienceistheword)
Thank you!
Just my opinion anyway. Some will argue that KCL > Manchester but I just don't think "The London Experience" is worth the 50% extra :rolleyes:
janeh5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Has anyone applied to UWE? At first I just applied for insurance, but it's 10th on the guardian subject guide? Anyone any insight on this matter haha?
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by janeh5)
Has anyone applied to UWE? At first I just applied for insurance, but it's 10th on the guardian subject guide? Anyone any insight on this matter haha?
crikey, I should have applied there as an isurance.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Happy new year philosopher kings :o:
Pippps
Report 9 years ago

I think it's a popular choice. It's what i've decided to do. Do a Philosophy degree as it's so interesting then become a solicitor via a conversion course.

Woo, Go Philosophical solicitors!
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pippps)
I think it's a popular choice. It's what i've decided to do. Do a Philosophy degree as it's so interesting then become a solicitor via a conversion course.

Woo, Go Philosophical solicitors!

Indeed, I've been reading a lot of Sartre and Heidegger to motivate myself over the past few months... I even considered trying on Buddhism for size. :confused:

I should just bite the bullet and be more materialistic.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Law is the most popular career route for philosophers, but a lot intend to do it and end up sticking with philosophy. I originally applied for law and fully intended to follow a legal career, now I'm just not interested and simply want to do more philosophy.
Pippps
Report 9 years ago
Yeah well it's what i intend to do now, but if i eventually decide against it at least i didn't spend a 3 year degree doing it. It's good to have options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (308)
37.52%
No - but I will (63)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.38%

Watched Threads