Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BanksWigan)
    I don't no what the big deal is about I thought it was crazly easy every question was easy only lost 2marks and that was because I didn't put 2piexr compared to the past papers this was simple I'm guessing grade boundaries ate going to be high, again why do people say logs bit was hard? It wasn't you just had to know the rules that -logx= log1/x. This Is just my opinion though
    In fact, compared to other past papers it WASN'T easy. This was easily the hardest C2 paper in recent times, especially considering how the translation and log questions were asked.

AND, you say how easy it was, yet you didn't do one of the easiest questions! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalange)
    Yes logs sorry
    If you work out the number you get for x, its like 0.8 I think if I remember correctly

The last question a number of people myself included went about proving it backwards, we substiuted 4x-3 for u

solved for x=0.83, then said that the answer they gave was equal to 0.83

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I doubt you'd get marks for doing it like that, sorry

The whole point was simplification, by using that method one din't simply it, and if anything, made it less accurate!

ReputationRep:
    I know the answer for the trapezium rule question, 5.55. I just forgot if I actually did write that lol. That's why I'm asking if anyone remembers the actual question.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up giving up towards the end. I had missed out loads and 'came back' later. Didn't help. Couldn't even do the easy questions.

ReputationRep:
    which question was it where the answer was 0.75?

I remember one question, the answer came out as \frac{1}{4}(log_2 0.5 + 4), which then simplified down to 0.75

ReputationRep:
    Okay so trying to see the upside of the translation questions, I'm guessing doing the correct method with logs and stuff for that question where x = 0.75 should get you 2 or 3 of the 4 marks, even if your translated formula was wrong.
    And the other one, it should be one mark for saying translation and one for (3/4, 0) so most people should be getting one there.
    So in reality some strong candidates did fail the question but you should be able to get most of the marks.

Then again, I could be totally wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Describe the transfromation from y=2^(4x) to y=2^(4x-3)

"A translation of 0.75 units, parallel to the x-axis".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *A_S_H*)
    wow thats a big number , i got 70 by a=11.5 and d=-0.5 i think
    Does anyone know if this is right? I got 70 also but it can't be right because the number should be way bigger...

The problem is that I seemed to do everything correctly but it still came out as 70.

ReputationRep:
    I found it ok, logs question at the end was very hard, but after probably one of the most painful half an hours i've ever experienced, I managed to get it right. If I never looked at logs today, I probably would have just skipped it. But like I said, I think it was ok. I think it was more difficult than the january paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1platinum)
    Does anyone know if this is right? I got 70 also but it can't be right because the number should be way bigger...

The problem is that I seemed to do everything correctly but it still came out as 70.
    It's a negative d, therefore it'll always be smaller. Well done on getting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexHutson1)
    It's a negative d, therefore it'll always be smaller. Well done on getting it
    Thanks for the reply. You sure it's correct, what do you mean it's negative? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    70 is correct. Sn = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
    n= 40, a = 11.5, d = -0.5

S40 = 40/2[23 + 39 x -0.5]
    S40 = 20(23 - 19.5)
    S40 = 20 x 3.5
    S40 = 70

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1platinum)
    Thanks for the reply. You sure it's correct, what do you mean it's negative? :confused:
    Well d is -0.5, so you are multiplying that by (n - 1), 39 in this case. So that deducts from the 2a, and times that buy half n, and you got 70.

ReputationRep:
    Oh boy, after reading through this it isn't looking good for me

Maths isn't my strong point i'll admit that, for me this exam was a resit of last summers Core2. Last summer I got a U

All I want to do is better my U, is that so much to ask?
    I thought I may of done it after coming out of the exam, but after reading through this it isn't looking likely.
    I knew I wasn't going to do amazingly, I haven't done Core 2 for a year, and I found revision hard because of this, for a start I could hardly find any of my notes.

Ahwell, we'll just wait and see, atleast its only a resit and not one of my A-Level ones for this year, it would be very handy though to pick up a few extra marks on it.

I'm just gonna watch the England game now and forget about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob...)
    70 is correct. Sn = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
    n= 40, a = 11.5, d = -0.5

S40 = 40/2[23 + 39 x -0.5]
    S40 = 20(23 - 19.5)
    S40 = 20 x 3.5
    S40 = 70
    Thanks, I did do that working. What do people think about grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    For the translation question
    2^4x to 2^4x-3
    is a translation of (3,0)

2^x to 2^4x-3 would be (3/4,0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJS1993)
    2^4x to 2^4x-3

No, that doesn't make any sense...

Can someone clear this up please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJS1993)
    2^4x to 2^4x-3

No, it is what you do to the x, not the 4x.
    If you bracket the x is gives 2^4(x).

You then add to just the x, if it were a translation of (3,0) - it would go to 2^4(x-3) which then multiplies out to give 2^(4x-12).
    However, by putting 3/4, it multiplies out to give 4x-3.. which is what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bently7)
    No, it is what you do to the x, not the 4x.
    If you bracket the x is gives 2^4(x).

You then add to just the x, if it were a translation of (3,0) - it would go to 2^4(x-3) which then multiplies out to give 2^(4x-12).
    However, by putting 3/4, it multiplies out to give 4x-3.. which is what you want.
    I thought as much, even thought I did this question wrong.

Cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.