France Grand Slam
    3.39%
    Italy Title
    1.69%
    Italy Grand Slam
    4.24%

ReputationRep:
    Only Ireland can stop England...

Come On Ireland!! (And give them a good rollocking so Wales win the title )

ReputationRep:
    Also, i would happily pay a hundred pounds to be Italian
    in the stadio flaminio on saturday. Great scenes, great game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Not when it clearly states that what happened was against the rules. There are dubious ref decisions and then there are wrong ones. This is wrong and it's in black and white as proof.
    This stuff happens all the time in professional sport. Games are won or lost because of wrong decisions. You beat Scotland today because of a forward pass for example. It's a gritty way to win but it happens.

I'm gutted for Scotland, really expected them to get hammered today. Was brilliant to see Italy beat France though

ReputationRep:
    I think alot of people at the start of this years six nations would not have put Wales as a contender ... Being a Welshman, I'm happy with the fact we're at least in the top 3 (didn't even think that was going to happen) but still need some major improvements need to be made especially for the world cup. They went through a losing patch, and then finally pushed enough to get that win and confidence seems to growing for them, but they can't get complacent cause they're far from being the threat they've been in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1994mrj)
    I think alot of people at the start of this years six nations would not have put Wales as a contender ... Being a Welshman, I'm happy with the fact we're at least in the top 3 (didn't even think that was going to happen) but still need some major improvements need to be made especially for the world cup. They went through a losing patch, and then finally pushed enough to get that win and confidence seems to growing for them, but they can't get complacent cause they're far from being the threat they've been in the past.
    Exactly, i'm very satisfied with our showing this 6N. Sure we have a lot to work on and i am still against Gatland's leadership due to the cluelessness our backs have. No creativity there. But anyway we have 3 wins under our belt and look set to finish second. I mean, that's not bad. I know France and Ireland are looking very disappointing atm, and so it isn't that hard for us to be looking like we are doing so well but still 3 wins are 3 wins. Huge plusses against Ireland were the lineout and the fact we were taking our restarts. 2 things we often lose a lot on. Lineout has been notoriously bad for years and to see it working so well against the Irish was so good, and such a rare sight. But we are getting the basics right now which is highly important. We have a long way to go but with Gethin and Adam back in our front row and hopefully improved creativity/clinicality in our backs if we get those 2 things going our way we could be a real force to be reckoned with.

It seems to me now that Ireland are now going downhill. They have a old team, a lot don't have many years left in them, and they are no where near as good as they were 2 years ago. Sure you got 2 of the best wingers in the world up and coming but there isn't a whole load more. I mean where on earth is the Irish front 5 development happening? Sure the backrow and wings are great, but there isn't a whole lot more the Irish have from what i can see atm. Golden era looks over for you guys i'm afraid! What do you Irish fans think anyway? As i'm not Irish i might be seeing a lot less than i should be! English Golden era definitely on its way as much as i hate to say it too. The french are just like france are like, unpredictable, but noticeably poor atm. Scotland are bemusing me. So bad against Wales, decent against Ireland, and really good against the English. Who knows where they are going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope, I meant the game a few years back (2007 or 2008, not sure) where we were losing to Italy by 3 points, in the last minute, and had a penalty. We wanted to kick to the corner to mount one last attack, asked the ref if we had enough time to do so and he said yes. So thats what Wales did, yet the ref then blew for full time. The ref actually came out and apologised afterwards - even though it essentially lost us the match.

Of course, past incidents shouldn't matter, and Wales should not have got that try today. But it does help even it up a little.
    I remember this, actually, the ball carrier asked the ref if they had enough time, then they all spent over a minute thirty whittering to each other about who was going to kick and where it was going to go. By the time the ball was about to go to boot, it was about 30 seconds over full time and you can clearly hear the ref say, three times, "You don't have enough time any more. You can't take a line out." by which point the kicker was so zoned out into what he was about to do he payed absolutely no attention and booted it straight out of the match.

It's a long way from what happened to Ireland, that's for sure.

EDIT: Some people just can't handle finding out they're wrong, evidently :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1994mrj)
    Being a Welshman, do you agree that James Hook as Man of The Match against Ireland was a joke. Did not even stand out. Sam Warburton was OUTSTANDING and sooo deserved the title.

ReputationRep:
    My money's going on Ireland this weekend. England just didn't look at all dangerous against Scotland - we shoulda won that game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    My money's going on Ireland this weekend. England just didn't look at all dangerous against Scotland - we shoulda won that game.
    Ireland didn't look all that impressive either to be fair. I think I'm more nervous about this weekend's game than I was about the France match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJ.)
    Being a Welshman, do you agree that James Hook as Man of The Match against Ireland was a joke. Did not even stand out. Sam Warburton was OUTSTANDING and sooo deserved the title.
    Hook has been woeful - set up little in attack and the ball he as had he's kicked 50% of it away. His goal kicking has been consistent, but thats all I can say thats good really. Very overrated this year. Warburton for me, who's tackling rate has been immense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    No i reckon its all about England. Grand-slam i think. As much as it pains me to say it lol. But ive actually enjoyed watching them this year.

ReputationRep:
    It's an English GS to lose. Ireland have been awful this year. England have been the only side that look impressive, as much as it pains me to say it as a Welshman. However, big points to be pleased about with some of the Welsh performances. Lineout has been fantastic for example and Warburton looks brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    It's an English GS to lose. Ireland have been awful this year. England have been the only side that look impressive, as much as it pains me to say it as a Welshman. However, big points to be pleased about with some of the Welsh performances. Lineout has been fantastic for example and Warburton looks brilliant.
    Now you just need 14 other players to get to his level and you may have a chance of getting out the group stages at the World Cup! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Now you just need 14 other players to get to his level and you may have a chance of getting out the group stages at the World Cup! :p:
    I would love to have a come back. But, the standard of Welsh rugby this year is appauling. And, ive got to agree lol.
    Although, Bradley Davies & Matthew Rees have shown themselves as trong ball carriers and good in the ruck.
    And Jamie Roberts, what can i say? - POWER HOUSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlazingApostle)
    Hook has been woeful - set up little in attack and the ball he as had he's kicked 50% of it away.
    I think that this is less a failing of him than one of the coaches. Gatland and co. clearly have game plan-playing for territory, not doing anything outside of the opponents 22 (much like England/Ireland of old under Wilkinson/O'Gara) but they need to realise that this won't work for this team with such a talented backline. Granted, some of the blame has to fall on the players who need to recognise when to run it more often. If only Hook could rediscover his hand-off :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I hope italy don't end up with the wooden spoon after their solid France beating performance.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, all the NH teams are going to get destroyed against the SH top 3. In over 10 years I can't remember such an all around low quality six nations.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is i don't think individually the Welsh team is even bad as they kind of make out to be. We got a great front 8, props wise lacking atm without AJ and GJ but shows our lack of depth really. But our second row and back row is really a force now. Our backs just aren't coached well. They are individually quality players. Well Phillips has been useless for a while but apart from that... But if they got coached well then we would be a force. Just so frustrating to see us use the same tactics in every game with our backs and fail so bad with our clinicality as a result of our lateral one dimensional play!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshmen)
    I think that this is less a failing of him than one of the coaches. Gatland and co. clearly have game plan-playing for territory, not doing anything outside of the opponents 22 (much like England/Ireland of old under Wilkinson/O'Gara) but they need to realise that this won't work for this team with such a talented backline. Granted, some of the blame has to fall on the players who need to recognise when to run it more often. If only Hook could rediscover his hand-off :daydreaming:
    Yeah agreed.
    Ronan O'Gara's game annoys me so much, i know full well as soon as he comes on that is all he is going to do is kick. Ffs, maybe you could trying getting it out to the centres, especially since you debatebly have the best 13 in the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJ.)
    Yeah agreed.
    Ronan O'Gara's game annoys me so much, i know full well as soon as he comes on that is all he is going to do is kick. Ffs, maybe you could trying getting it out to the centres, especially since you debatebly have the best 13 in the world?
    Yea, that's why he scored a try in the Scotland match and made quite a few runs in the games he's been playing. Admittedly he kicked more in the Wales match, but he still runs a lot more now and even tackles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.