Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    No one will go to Russia to watch the world cup.

1. Its full of racists and there fans are notorious for racist chants and violence
    2. they have **** artificial pitches which cause serious injuries
    3. its a horrible country miles out of the way and its cold
    4. No one likes them because of the cold war.

1. Thats true, but this is the same with Spain and Italy (even more so!)
    2. No other Country has them of course..
    3. Have you been to Russia to know if its "horrible" or not? Its cold, because its the only cold country out there..
    4. youre an idiot.

Im not saying that Russia's hosting skills are the best, but im reserving any comment till I actually see it ja know?

ReputationRep:
    Pisssssseddd:bricks:

ReputationRep:

1. Its full of racists and there fans are notorious for racist chants and violence

I hope Arsenal fans throw things at Arshavin's dirty meerkat head.
    Cracked up reading this haha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Question:

What will happen to the stadiums after the WC in Qatar? Do they even have a league?

Seems a bit wasteful. In Germany they were put to good use at least
    http://www.qatar2022bid.com/stadiums

It's pretty impressive to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Question:

What will happen to the stadiums after the WC in Qatar? Do they even have a league?

They won't be put to as good a use as they would have been if 2022 was given to an African or South American nation. Qatar's not a footballing country, and neither is Russia, really. FIFA should take this into consideration much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    You notice all the 2018 bidders were from Europe right? It's already rotated around various continents, which is why we know we have to chance of hosting until 2030 at the earliest.
    Of course, but im just responding to people who are saying that everything should be held in Europe.
    I didnt see the presentations but I heard Russia's and England's were the best..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    Anyone else think that Qatar's football team plus home advantage might make them a force at the 2022 world cup?

Hahahahahahahahaha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Complete **** up. Fifa really is corrupt its pretty clear. You could see the expression on blatter's face when he said England, you just knew we were never going to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Russians presentation was by far better than ours. I think one of the deciders was their free visas and free train travel for world cup ticket holders. Having said that our bid overall was by far better and we should have gone for 2022 instead because i think we would have smashed that. Definitely a bit of bribery involved i reckon and ambramovic is no stranger to that.

FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Labour are calling for a government investigation. :rolleyes:There's nobody to blame. We had the best technical bid, and if FIFA can't understand that or are annoyed that we have freedom of press and want to hold the world cup in a country that doesn't, then fine. They'll have egg on their face when Russia's world cup fails completely.
    BBC

The smart thing they could have done is put the episode after the decision. Whether we won or lost, there wouldn't be any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Labour are calling for a government investigation. :rolleyes: There's nobody to blame. We had the best technical bid, and if FIFA can't understand that or are annoyed that we have freedom of press and want to hold the world cup in a country that doesn't, then fine. They'll have egg on their face when Russia's world cup fails completely.
    I agree. It's ironic that you virtually get penalised for having the stadia and infrastructure already in place. The idea of a 'legacy' was clearly pivotal in the decisions for 2018 and 2022, rather than the ability to run a 32-team international tournament.

ReputationRep:
    Question:

They're dismantling them and investing the used infrastructure into developing nations.

Pretty good idea actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Its good.
    Africa then South America and then Europe/Asia (however you look at it) and then the Middle East. This is a WORLD cup..not a European cup! So its right that it should be held in various places around the world.
    This is the best post I have seen so far. People should quit whining the world cup isn't exclusive to Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I really want information to come out that proves Russia bought the World Cup. Perhaps then we can sort out the corruption in FIFA, so that they give World Cups to the nation with the best bid, not the most mafia money.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but im just responding to people who are saying that everything should be held in Europe.
    I didnt see the presentations but I heard Russia's and England's were the best..
    Oh, sorry! It definitely should be spread around, although I don't think weaker bidders should win just for 'spreading it around' sake.

ReputationRep:
    No one will go to Russia to watch the world cup.

2. they have **** artificial pitches which cause serious injuries
    3. its a horrible country miles out of the way and its cold
    4. No one likes them because of the cold war

I hope Arsenal fans throw things at Arshavin's dirty meerkat head.

Russia clearly won as they have given a number of FIFA representatives back handers with black money, the mafia runs the country so therefore they can afford to give away black money.

The country of Russia is extremely racist, even towards their own players like Martins who plays for Rubin Kazan. Keisuke Honda also gets a lot of stick because he is asian.

I certainly won't be attending the 2018 World Cup now that its being held in such a volatile nation, I will instead focus myself on going to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar - A beautiful country which is well looked after and did not cheat to win the 2022 bid. I will spend my money in their country rather than feed the greedy mafia run country that is Russia.

Football in the UK (FA,FAW,SFA) should pull out of ****ty FIFA and go independent because without England being tied to that ****ty organisation they can go on to do great things.

As an independent footballing country we could introduce things such as goal line technology which FIFA are too stupid to implement.

Most players would still want to come to the premiership to play football due to the wages they can demand. The premiership would still be more powerful and FIFA/UEFA (AKA ****ty Corrupt Snobs Who Know Nothing About Football) would have nothing.

Look at the champions league for the most of the time.

One year

Chelsea/United final - Liverpool in semi's - 3/4 in semi's were English

Liverpool 2005 winners, 2007 finalists,
    Man Utd - 2008 winners

Basically, without English football, UEFA would be clinging onto teams like Barca, Madrid, AC Milan and Inter. The latter two both play very slow football which most of the time is very unexciting to watch. English football makes it happen.

How the hell do Russia get the WC? Their domestic teams have done nothing ever in the history of football to ever warrant it.

No one who walks around in a suit like a proper posh bigot should decide the future of football. It should be decided by people like Beckham, Zidane, Totti etc Ambassadors for the sport to bring through the youth and do what is the best for football - not politics.

Therefore, I and many others I have spoken to are boycotting the ****ty Russian world cup 2018.

Roll on Qatar 2022.
    Jeeze you really should have been leading the counter bid with arguments like those gems.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I will say though is that saying Russia and Qatar aren't footballing nations isn't the best point. South Africa isn't nor were South Korea/Japan. The latter were still able to produce a fantastic WC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    BBC

The smart thing they could have done is put the episode after the decision. Whether we won or lost, there wouldn't be any difference.
    This

To all people extolling that we have a free media or whatever, you're missing the point. The world doesn't work that way, no deal is ever clean, England being as rich as it is knows this very well.

They had the best technical presentation/infrastructure and the most profitable world cup returns, and we lost it all for a pointless 30 minute programme that has done absolutely nothing other than antagonise FIFA.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea I'm afraid. Return plane tickets would be roughly 400 quid, hotels would cost about 500, travel around the country would be about 250, plus you've got the match tickets which would cost around 200 - 1000 depending on how far your team get and how many matches you want to go to. So I guess around 2000-2500 quid would give you a good world cup holiday, plus whatever spending money you intend to bring. Not cheap, but I think it'd be worth it for the memories. Brazil will host a good World Cup, I can tell.
    Return plane tickets will probably be a lot more than that! Currently, they're about a grand if you book them 5/6 months in advance.. They know they're going to sell all their tickets for the time of the World Cup, so no doubt they will be pretty high even a year in advance.

Brazil is a lot more expensive than people believe! Domestic flights around Brazil are about 150-200 pounds, even just to Rio from another city.

Get saving!

ReputationRep:
    Its good.
    Africa then South America and then Europe/Asia (however you look at it) and then the Middle East. This is a WORLD cup..not a European cup! So its right that it should be held in various places around the world.
    I cant help but think that it's a FOOTBALL world cup, therefore it should be held in footballing nations around the world, Russia I can begrudginly accept, I dont think they were the best candidates by a long shot but at least they have some decent players and have qualified for some major tournaments, Qatar 2022 tho? Wtf? Theyll be hosting the winter olympics next

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.