Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poorer students will now get 2 free years uni. another attack on middle income family Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Debt: "An amount owed to a person or organization for funds borrowed."

So, yes, it is in fact a debt.
    Hardly. If we're getting technical, in dictionary terms, yes it is. But in the real world, it would not be seen as a real debt. A real debt is a mortgage, overdrafts, bills, tax payments e.t.c. Not being able to pay your student fees and your maintenance loan will not affect your life. The SLC will simply postpone it until you can, or after 25 years under the current system, write it off. If you can't pay your mortgage, then you lose your home.

ReputationRep:
    welcome to life under the tories, making britain just a little bit ****tier, every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    I also have news for you too sunshine. Nice attempt at patronising me. Not.

I never said that declaring yourself bankrupt will discharge you from student loan repayment. I stated that not being able to repay your student loans will not strip you of your dignity like bankruptcy would.
    I just thought I'd help someone who is so moronically stupid that they are not able see a student debt as a debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    welcome to life under the tories, making britain just a little bit ****tier, every single day.
    Labour wanted to preserve the NHS. They screwed it up.
    The ConDems want to preserve education. They are screwing it up, as we speak!

Notice the pattern there?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. If we're getting technical, in dictionary terms, yes it is.
    Good, that's cleared up then.

A debt is a debt.

You can say the type of debt is less bad than another, but it's still debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Labour wanted to preserve the NHS. They screwed it up.
    The ConDems want to preserve education. They are screwing it up, as we speak!

Notice the pattern there?

lol yeah but tbf at least the NHS is equal wealth wise, it's not as bad as whatever the **** the tories and their lapdogs think they're doing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I just thought I'd help someone who is so moronically stupid that they are not able see a student debt as a debt.
    What? I'm sorry, your point was that you can't escape repayments by declaring yourself bankrupt. Nowhere did you mention anything about my opinion about it not being a debt being 'wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Middle class =/= the average income.
    If you look in history middle class meant above the average wealth and sociel standing of the average person. Because there were SO many working class people due to the certain proffessions and such we had. This is why the class system is a bit too old to relate to modern times. Plus we have lower and upper middle class, so we have to distinguish, as they are very different too
    okay not 'average' income- but 'middle' income... which is actually the same thing. the middle of the income of the nation.... which would be around £24,000 :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Good, that's cleared up then.

A debt is a debt.

You can say the type of debt is less bad than another, but it's still debt.
    You explain the student repayment scheme to a real hard working person with a debt of godknowswhat and they will laugh in your face and tell you how easy it will be to pay off.

ReputationRep:
    You explain the student repayment scheme to a real hard working person with a debt of godknowswhat and they will laugh in your face and tell you how easy it will be to pay off.
    Irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    This debt doesn't really affect our abilities to get mortgages, or other loans at all. It doesn't count towards our credit report, so is pretty much non existant as far as banks are concerned.

Martin at MSE even recommends user's to take the maximum loan out(mainly for maintenance), as you're effectively borrowing a shopping trolley and giving it back, at the rate of inflation in bits. Another reason is that you'll have more money to spend in the following years of uni, if you don't take the loan out in all it's entirety
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant.
    Not really. You have to think about how the whole student fees issue is perceived by those working, some of whom who never went to uni yet pay taxes to subsidise students.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point.

Initiatives like this are designed to increase the amount of lower-income students at university. EMA was designed to increase the amount of lower-income students in FE.

The Tories here are trying to promote social mobility. Quite clearly we all know that regardless of what your background is, you pay back your loan at the same rate as a upper-class person earning the same as you does.

However, the lower-classes are less likely to go to university, especially after the increased fees. This scheme will simply aim to promote the inclusion of very poor kids at uni, who might other wise not have bothered with education. While I am not a fan of positive discrimination, I implore you to realise that this is not an attack on the middle-classes. It simply can't be because you pay back your student loan at such a ridiculously low amount, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    if you're an orphan whose income do you base it on because i was thinking if my parents were to have an 'accident' all might end up okay

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I did think of that.What I've seen elsewhere is that lots of people have seen that the fees are going to rise three-fold, and their parents are saying "Thats it, no more uni for you"

Yes the fees are high, but its really not that bad tbf.

This would probably encourage people to go to university.

ie: My dad was saying not to take a loan, but I'd be financially killing him when he pays for uni. I had to explain what a student loan actually was, compared to a normal loan.

The only help Ill expect is if I cant find a job and am past my living means on the maintenance fund.

Otherwise, it's not that bad a deal, but people panic.

I was reading that one person was achieving A*'s, As etc.. and his parents wouldn't put him through uni because of the fees. Thats a terrible thing, really. The last thing the gov't wants is for the intellectually capable not to pursue HE because they can't fford it

ReputationRep:
    there are several ways of solving the tuition fee crisis namely leaving it the way it is, its hard enough for people to go to university at the moment without messing things all around with it. I think on the news it said that the free tuition was optional so im assuming the unis might not actually go for it? well the government have changed their minds so many times who knows what the hell the student system will end up like! Personally I think that they are doing it at the wrong time, put up the tuition fees when the country is prospering and the job market is good so people know they have a good chance of getting into a better job to pay back the debts. Doing it now when the job market isnt great will leave people feeling that theyve wasted their time and money going to university when they cannot make the 21000 proposed repayments. With that kind of debt how the hell is anyone supposed to get mortgages etc...in the future And that applies to lower and middles classes, you know somepeople who do have rich parents, but dont always have the luxury of their parents spoon feeding them. It just depends on how much money your parents can cough up to help you if you go to uni which determines how much financial mess you are left in. There are few people who will not be affected by the propsed changes so dont feel that it is solely an attack on the middle classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    its people like you who hinder democracy, not voting for the conservatives just because theyre conservatives regardless of what they have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    its people like you who hinder democracy, not voting for the conservatives just because theyre conservatives regardless of what they have to say.
    i wouldn't vote for the tories BECAUSE of what they've had to say and what they have done, i've listened and i don't like. what they've done so far (past and present) has reinforced my negative opinion.

but you know, thanks for the judgement and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b33tlejuice)
    there are several ways of solving the tuition fee crisis namely leaving it the way it is, its hard enough for people to go to university at the moment without messing things all around with it. I think on the news it said that the free tuition was optional so im assuming the unis might not actually go for it? well the government have changed their minds so many times who knows what the hell the student system will end up like! Personally I think that they are doing it at the wrong time, put up the tuition fees when the country is prospering and the job market is good so people know they have a good chance of getting into a better job to pay back the debts. Doing it now when the job market isnt great will leave people feeling that theyve wasted their time and money going to university when they cannot make the 21000 proposed repayments. With that kind of debt how the hell is anyone supposed to get mortgages etc...in the future And that applies to lower and middles classes, you know somepeople who do have rich parents, but dont always have the luxury of their parents spoon feeding them. It just depends on how much money your parents can cough up to help you if you go to uni which determines how much financial mess you are left in. There are few people who will not be affected by the propsed changes so dont feel that it is solely an attack on the middle classes.
    What?
    You have some very.. very weird view points on this

It isnt hard for people to go to university.. hence why there are so many people going. The only reason people cant at the moment is because of grades and a select few who either fall above the category for loans and also have no financial help from home or get a small amount of the loans etc and cant find any more money elsewhere.

Put up tuition fees when the country is doing good.. but keep it low when the countrys economy is doing bad? Do you not understand economics AT ALL? When the economy is bad we need to make cuts and get more money from certain sectors, in this case university fees.

You pay 9% of your income OVER 21 thousand a year.. do you realise how small that is? Jesus you act like students have to pay it back in 5 years or something. Say your on a 22k a year graduate entry job, that means you are paying 90 quid back a year.
    Anyone who actually knows soemthing about it and doesnt just have a rant because "oh noes i has to pay more moneys i cant afford it!!1!" realise the increase in fee's wont affect people as much as they think, just do some research on the fee's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    What?
    You have some very.. very weird view points on this

It isnt hard for people to go to university.. hence why there are so many people going. The only reason people cant at the moment is because of grades and a select few who either fall above the category for loans and also have no financial help from home or get a small amount of the loans etc and cant find any more money elsewhere.

Put up tuition fees when the country is doing good.. but keep it low when the countrys economy is doing bad? Do you not understand economics AT ALL? When the economy is bad we need to make cuts and get more money from certain sectors, in this case university fees.

You pay 9% of your income OVER 21 thousand a year.. do you realise how small that is? Jesus you act like students have to pay it back in 5 years or something. Say your on a 22k a year graduate entry job, that means you are paying 90 quid back a year.
    Anyone who actually knows soemthing about it and doesnt just have a rant because "oh noes i has to pay more moneys i cant afford it!!1!" realise the increase in fee's wont affect people as much as they think, just do some research on the fee's.
    On £22K a year you won't be paying back anything. You won't even be servicing the debt interest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.