Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by professortobe)
    non religious ppl are perfectly capable of doing the exact same thing. Those are not rules of religion, they are basic human decency and if you look at those around you the religious ones do not stand out from the crowd as being more kind and considerate of others than anyone else. One does not have 2 believe in god 2 recognise that we share this earth with others and therefore must take them into account in our behaviour. In practice it is the rest of the nation who has 2 constantly refrain from saying/doing things which may upset the religious ppl so it is the population as a whole who has 2 be kind and considerate to the religious not the other way round.
    I didn't say that non-religious people cannot be just and pure, sure you're right about that. But religion is about upholding kindness and purity, and so it is not a 'load of crap'.

ReputationRep:
    No sex before marriage is like stoning someone because they have committed adultery. Don't listen to what older people practicing a religion say, do you listen to your parents everyday about how to go about your life in a generation they are completely ignorant of? No, you don't, religion is basically this principle x10000

Adam and Eve did not get married, there was no minister present to do the vows, therefore those that they begat were created by pre-marital sex. Adam and Eve, if christianity is ''the correct religion'' were not even literal people, but a metaphor for the beginnings of humanity.

this is just the christian thing, but really, sex before marriage is just a waste of the best years of your life.

Religion should never be taken literally otherwise buildings get blown up and parts of civilization get prosecuted, if it even is true it has been diluted by the retards that think they are qualified to deal with it, own it, or send it in a new direction, and no, I'm not talking about just the Roman Catholic church.

Every generation there has been a series of events that have affected religion, it's kind of like putting in the bible right now that God does not want you to shop at Tescos, or to fight suicide bombers. Kind of relevant now, but in another 2000 years they probably won't have a clue what the hell that means, and and old pope/fool can take it and make it mean whatever he wants.

Sorry, but if you're a christian you're faith is based on diluted text over thousands of years and people hopping in and editing like Wikipedia, only Wikipedia uses references and is therefore reliable. Not my opinion, the truth. How did they get around it ''let's put in something about the holy spirit possessing us so all texts in the bible are deemed reliable.'' Somehow people believe it, and why? Because they were brought up to generally.

Take control of your own life and have the balls to be responsible for everything that doesn't go right or wrong in it. A christian will say God just isn't listening when prayers aren't answered, and is when someone gets lucky. Sorry, but hard work, persistence + a dash of luck = success. Not praying. Sorry to pick on Christianity, but I would be very surprised if even obscure religions aren't following this pattern, you never know, once upon a time it was Christianity that were the under-dogs. But it is a key point to christianity that has helped it grow ''Spreading the good news'' has meant that many people have tried to spread it to different cultures, from Columbus to Elizabeth the first.

BTW. Here you go.

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...istencies.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giga_grif)
    Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.
    Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow science without ever thinking freely and spiritually? I am strongly religious, and I just find people who follow a "sceptical method" close-minded beyond belief. I am a fallible person, and therefore I like to believe something based on my own personal experiences. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who has the mindset that religion is hyper-literal and therefore cannot go hand in hand with the theory of evolution. Atheists have no spiritual dimension, and follow ONE doctrine, which supposedly describes the whole world objectively and reductionistically. There are books about feelings and emotions, and the only argument atheists present to me is "the scientific method is objectively rigorous". You can't fault the argument, and indeed there is a vast amount of evidence in academia to suggest its practical integrity. However, this argument is an insult to anyone who has ever experienced a subjective emotion. When you have a debate with an atheist, they also say that the universe could only have spontaneously arisen, and say that nothing must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately the universe must be seen as only one out of a multiverse of many, whereby the question of whether there is a creator pales into insignificance next to his creation. It is a question which philosophy is a lot closer to answering than science, which is in my opinion a restrictive, observation-based way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on science and religion on here really, having not read any brutally biased books it is an area which I feel I can discuss holistically.

ReputationRep:
    all i know is that if it wasn't for religion many wars and deaths could have been avioded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aJohnsonsun)
    You do realise that many religious people believe in evolution? And who are you to say what they should or shouldn't believe in, there is no definite evidence to disprove the possibility of God. Anyway, I'm not going to rant.
    It's a tired, tired retort but nevertheless wholly valid:: The inability to disprove something doesn't lend credence to its chances of existing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    I agree that the selfish gene is a fantastic book - it would make my shortlist. Unfortunately, Dawkins lets himself down when he gets onto the subject of religion. His views are just too extremist to be achieve a great deal of respect.
    Would you mind expanding on how Dawkin's views are extremist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    he is very intolerant of a large large many people, of whom he looks down on from his super high horse.

ReputationRep:
    He is completely intolerant and sceptical about religion in his views. There is no room for manoeuvre and therefore, his views can be described as extremist.

ReputationRep:
    cool

arguing on the internet is going to discover what created life though, so carry on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giga_grif)
    Why are you here?

Why did the universe become aware of itself, in you?

Why is there anything at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beleg Cuthalion)
    I didn't say that non-religious people cannot be just and pure, sure you're right about that. But religion is about upholding kindness and purity, and so it is not a 'load of crap'.
    There is a fundamental difference between morality and religion. I saw a quote somewhere on this site which puts it very well. It went something like this "Morality is about doing what's right no matter what ppl say, religion is about doing what ppl say no matter what is right." Basically any person who thinks about the way they behave and its affects on those around them will be kind and caring and Im not exactly sure what you mean by pure. It is an overused expression which doesnt really have a meaning.
    Also while some moderate forms of religion really do focus on things like that and do the job of keeping ppl in check in the areas you mentioned, most religions are all about extremism and things that start off as admirable practices become completely out of hand and you may have seen from some other threads of mine that i actually grew up in a religious community and family and the things I have seen have made me want to stay as far away from religion as possible because in theory religious values sound very good but in practice they are twisted by religious leaders to encourage extremism and intolerance of others as well as a feeling of supremacy which prevents interaction into British society.
    So you are being very idealistic in your assessment that religion isnt a load of crap because while there may be something to be learnt from religious values, things which in today's language are classed as the rules of morality, most religion is not only crap but causes a lot of problems, diorder and disharmony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -raisa)
    People like you give atheists a bad rap.

I'm a strong atheist as well, but I don't go around harassing people who are religious. I respect everyone's beliefs; they can believe whatever they want to believe.
    Its people like you that destroy freedom of speech and causes political correctness to be so prevalent in our society. Okay the OP is flawed and contains a few bad choice of words but its got an interesting debate going. Yes, everyone is free to believe in what they want but religion affects us even when we chose not to follow it, that alone gives us the right to question it with this being called harrassment.

ReputationRep:
    It's all personal opinion at the end of the day. Have your view but don't condemn others for what they believe in

ReputationRep:
    As an athiest I don't see why anyone would believe in God, but it doesn't make it a load of crap. What's so wrong with people wanting to add a little meaning to their lives and believe that when you die it isn't just the end? And isn't it great that people have such faith in something no matter what? It doesn't make them ignorant; I think it shows strength of character. Gods and the universe aside, religion has some wonderful messages and the idea of treating others well and spreading love, hope and unity is something all people should aspire to do. Just 'cause some religious extremists take it too far, that doesn't mean religion is a load of crap, just those people :P Most religious people are probably good folks with a belief trying to be a good member of the community, just like most of the world. While I could never bring myself to believe in any God, I think religion is pretty awesome for the most part. The media only ever show the poppy burners of society while it is only a minority. The idea of God brings peace of mind to millions of people and even if religion is a load of crap, if it makes people happy then never mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    It's all personal opinion at the end of the day. Have your view but don't condemn others for what they believe in

Even if, in the name of these beliefs, they're hurting or even killing others?

Yeah, believe in some a God or something if you want to, but following an organised religion set up during the past few thousand years by a bunch of people is ****ing retarded.

Oh yeah, steadfast atheists can suck **** too.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the OP thinks of Athiests who believe in other things where no scientific evidence exists or there is still a big deate

say for example
    homeopathy
    psychics
    health claims on certain foods
    man made climate change

Can someone be smart for following the evidence to conclude that there is no God but stupid at the same time for believing in homepathy?

ReputationRep:
    awwww whats wrong your first attempt at extreme rebellion didnt work the first time by wrecking London and ruining our protests for tuition fees and ema. did PC Plod spank you too hard with his baton.

so now you must resort to this. smarter people than you have believed in God. way smarter. I have athiest friends and we all have healthy arguments proving and disproving each other's theories. how come on TSR I have never ever seen a decent argument on The Student Room. Everything is all religous people are nutters or aitheists are stupid raving gits.

Aitheists should be trying to prove thier theories not disprove people's beliefs and offend etc.... some aitheists do this but that select few like you. must troll.

BTW: Is everyone here aitheists because there seems to be a lot of them. that or some trolls decide to call them selves aitheist and spoil it for the true respectable ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    all i know is that if it wasn't for religion many wars and deaths could have been avioded
    Name the wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi_Pimp)
    Name the wars.
    The Crusades?

ReputationRep:
    The Crusades?
    I forgot to mention apart from that, (which it still could be debated apart from the Relgious reason..land is land...taxable land. You think if Northern Ireland got invaded by say... Norway; the British Government would just sit back and be like "yhh go for it"??) .

And the wars fought for any stupid reason outnumber any causes by religion. E.g. the invasion of Iraq.
    :eek: Vietnam? :eek: Golf war?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.