Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    I hate the Pied Piper :P! I haven't even looked at it. I hope to use The Patriot and Porphyria's Lover.
    I don't like it, but I decided to do either that or frao lippo lippa (whatever it is) and pied piper won :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    I think we all need a pep talk or whatever on Sunday. Personally, I nominate the firstnotlastsamurai ;D
    Must admit; that made me smile aha

I'm doing literature revision today and tomorow - exams monday, but then i have biology and chemistry resits tuesday and thursday :| - i contemplated suicide, still haven't ruled it out completely.

Im trying to just go through my Rossetti poems for section A. I really do think 'A Royal Princess' or 'Jessie Cameron' will come up - i'll be in for a rude awakening if it doesnt - although knowing my luck, the novel that is Goblin Market will come up - i absolutely hate that poem. I would of loved for Cousin Kate to have come up - Maude Clare wouldnt be too bad either - Boo Hoo.

Your definately doing Gatsby for section A right? Hows your last minute prep going?

And i remembered you wanting a list of possible section B questions - i didnt forget:

Closure
    Significance of Contrast
    What have you found striking
    Significant Event
    Symbolism (please please please)
    Narrative Voice
    Setting (was specification question, so could still come up)
    Openings (was spec question)

You cant possibly predict every question - but there just a few i thought you might wanna keep in the back of your mind

ReputationRep:
    This is the Unit One: Aspects of Narrative exam. Was wondering who will be doing it this January and if it'll be your first time sitting the exam or if - like myself - it's a resit? If so, what went wrong last time? What texts are you studying and how are you revising?
    i did this exam last january and got a U, resat it in june and got an A (what a difference, i know). books we studied were the kite runner and pride and prejudice. poems were the ancient mariner and w.h.auden. i think personally to revise you should go through past papers and actually do them under time conditions, chances are, at least one of your questions that come up in the exam you'd have done already whilst revising (or a question almost like the one you did) so you'd feel like a bit of pressure has gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai)

I'm doing literature revision today and tomorow - exams monday, but then i have biology and chemistry resits tuesday and thursday :| - i contemplated suicide, still haven't ruled it out completely.

Im trying to just go through my Rossetti poems for section A. I really do think 'A Royal Princess' or 'Jessie Cameron' will come up - i'll be in for a rude awakening if it doesnt - although knowing my luck, the novel that is Goblin Market will come up - i absolutely hate that poem. I would of loved for Cousin Kate to have come up - Maude Clare wouldnt be too bad either - Boo Hoo.
    I've had exams on the tenth, twelfth and fourteenth... and still have exams on the seventeenth, nineteenth and twenty-fourth to do .

Goblin Market's my favourite :eek:

Do you have any notes on Rossetti's other poems? Anything would help, my teacher didn't go over them very much last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mu3icxbabee)
    does anyone know what the rosetti poems/enduring love section a questions were last year (ie june 2010)??
    Enduring Love section Ai was the chapter as Joe is driving towards Jean Logan's house I think. I've got loads of notes I can type up for the chapters so watch this space :P.

(Original post by dyhtps)
    I don't like it, but I decided to do either that or frao lippo lippa (whatever it is) and pied piper won :o:
    I do two poems. I can do Frao Lippo Lippi, The Bishop orders his tomb, Porphyria's Lover and The Patriot for Browning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    I've had exams on the tenth, twelfth and fourteenth... and still have exams on the seventeenth, nineteenth and twenty-fourth to do .

Do you have any notes on Rossetti's other poems? Anything would help, my teacher didn't go over them very much last year
    I've got notes on most of Rossetti's. not very thorough mind, I'll type up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)

Yeah mate, i posted some stuff on Rossetti - if you just search through the thread, you should find some stuff - hope it helps man!

ReputationRep:
    I've got notes on most of Rossetti's. not very thorough mind, I'll type up.
    Thanks a lot.

I've had so many exams to focus on that I just forgot about English... and because I'm relatively good at it, I convinced myself that i'd be fine just doing last minute revision. But now is the last minute, and I'm panicking

I'm currently listening to 'The curious Incident of the dog in the night-time" audio-book on fast-forward, in an attempt to get chapter notes done in just a few hours :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    symbolism in kite runner, fml, although saying that I'm hoping to use kite runner for section A so it's probably not as vital to know loads of section B possibilities for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casio99)
    So it's not imperative that you relate an interpretation to a specific group (e.g. feminism, contempary etc)

And a sidenote, when using quotes in your essays is it necessary to specify the chapter, line...?

Thanks
    Not really imperative, no. It depends what you're talking about, obviously it would be better if you can relate it to how a specific group would view it because that would mean you bag marks for context as well as interpretations in a single point. Regardless, an interpretation is an interpretation. You could just throw context and interpretations in seperately, I'm sure you'd still get the marks.

And no, quotes are quotes. Just make sure they are clear quotes....

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose anyone has practice questions for section B that aren't past actual questions?

My school never did any and I'm awful at making questions that would be like ones that come up in the exam :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose anyone has practice questions for section B that aren't past actual questions?
    thefirstnotlastsamurai (god that's complicated to type out!) has some below

And i remembered you wanting a list of possible section B questions - i didnt forget:

Closure
    Significance of Contrast
    Significant Event
    Narrative Voice

You cant possibly predict every question - but there just a few i thought you might wanna keep in the back of your mind

[/I]

ReputationRep:
    thefirstnotlastsamurai (god that's complicated to type out!) has some below
    Ah cool thanks

Really wish I hadn't of left it to the Saturday before to realise there's much more than just knowing the texts

ReputationRep:
    If we do get symbolism for section B, what symbols could we use for Enduring Love or Thomas Hardy's poetry?

I'm thinking for Enduring Love, the gun, balloon...and that's all I got so far

ReputationRep:

Your definately doing Gatsby for section A right? Hows your last minute prep going?

Closure
    Significance of Contrast
    Significant Event
    Narrative Voice

I think you should! Do it tomorrow If everyone is anything like me, they'll be feeling the nerves!

Yep, definitely. I think for me personally, given what I've learnt, it'd be risky to do the poems for section A. And the last minute revision is going okay! I've gone through Gatsby again and am preparing for the Section A Part 2 questions, going through themes and the likes of what hasn't come up, religion, etc and then reading through notes on the poetry. I don't think I'll be revising tomorrow as it's my birthday But aw, you poor thing! I'm lucky that my exams aren't close together. The one after English is on the 28th, so I've got quite a bit of time to prepare.

How are you going to spend the few hours before the exam? And thanks so much for the exam questions! It still won't let me rep you -_-

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got some good notes on "o where are you going" for Auden? I have a feeling it will come up for section a.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should! Do it tomorrow If everyone is anything like me, they'll be feeling the nerves!

Yep, definitely. I think for me personally, given what I've learnt, it'd be risky to do the poems for section A. And the last minute revision is going okay! I've gone through Gatsby again and am preparing for the Section A Part 2 questions, going through themes and the likes of what hasn't come up, religion, etc and then reading through notes on the poetry. I don't think I'll be revising tomorrow as it's my birthday But aw, you poor thing! I'm lucky that my exams aren't close together. The one after English is on the 28th, so I've got quite a bit of time to prepare.

How are you going to spend the few hours before the exam? And thanks so much for the exam questions! It still won't let me rep you -_-
    Ah - well i wish you a very happy birthday for tomorow

Prior to the exam - just chill out, no point frantically looking through notes, because what will likely happen - is i'll just psych myself out aha. We just gta write confidently - act like we know what we're talking about

I can forsee post exam: me crying at the prospect of another retake :\

Sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Ah - well i wish you a very happy birthday for tomorow

Prior to the exam - just chill out, no point frantically looking through notes, because what will likely happen - is i'll just psych myself out aha. We just gta write confidently - act like we know what we're talking about

I can forsee post exam: me crying at the prospect of another retake :\

Sh*t.
    Thank you, lovely!

Aha, I'm going along to some of the other groups (they're are two groups) English lessons. I'd love to just chill, but I don't think I'm capable. I'm going to get nervous, despite what anyone says to be honest XD I always work myself up stupidly.

And noooo way dude. You've got this exam in the bag

ReputationRep:
    symbolism in kite runner, fml, although saying that I'm hoping to use kite runner for section A so it's probably not as vital to know loads of section B possibilities for it
    The Kite :P
    Slingshot
    Brass knuckles

I'd be pushed to come up with more. Could you perhaps say that physical journeys are symbolic of spiritual journies?

ReputationRep:
    The Kite :P
    Slingshot
    Brass knuckles

I'd be pushed to come up with more. Could you perhaps say that physical journeys are symbolic of spiritual journies?
    How did I not think of the kite? and I'm sure our teacher has said that physical journies are symbolic of spirtual/personal ones before :yes:

As an aside, just found my posts in a thread back from June for this very exam. I somehow managed to predict the section B, Great Gatsby and Auden questions correctly about 3 days before the exam, yet I still ****ed it up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.