Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures Watch

• View Poll Results: Which Msc finance is the Best ?
    Warwick Msc finance
    44.74%
    Imperial Msc finance
    55.26%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    the acceptance rate is 94%......

Man that chart must be screwed up.

Be happy you recieved an offer from a top instituition.
    Yes I realize that, but I'm not so comfortable going into a huge amount of debt to get into an (apparantly) very uncompetitive program... What would prospective top employers think of me when my program accepts pretty much anyone who applies?!

ReputationRep:
    They won't realise what the acceptance rate is like? They will see University prestige check, distinction check, invite to interview....

ReputationRep:
    They won't realise what the acceptance rate is like? They will see University prestige check, distinction check, invite to interview....
    I thought Warwick was a top Business school. I wonder why it has a 94% acceptance rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    I thought Warwick was a top Business school. I wonder why it has a 94% acceptance rate.
    It is only seems to be this particular program that I was accepted to, ones like Finance have around 5%. I don't know if this is just an error of the actual numbers (it states only ~70 people applied!) or if no one just wants to apply to the program (which worries me somewhat).

ReputationRep:
    surely more then 70 people applied. More then 2000 applied to finance!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The acceptance rate is not 4.4% or 3.9%.
    That is the enrolment rate.

A fair few number of people will surely getting offers from Warwick, but go to other institutions or miss out on their grades.

While clearly it is a competitive course, stating the 3.9% is misleading at best.

ReputationRep:
    surely more then 70 people applied. More then 2000 applied to finance!!!!!
    Check the PDF posted on the first page, there were only 64 applicants! I was shocked!! It either has to be an error, or there is something wrong with the program that I don't know about!

ReputationRep:
    Check again. It is international and domestic students together. The acceptance rate is more 11%

ReputationRep:
    I would say the rankings are something like:
    Cambridge>LSE and Imperial>Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Ahhh - I can't decide guys! I've just been given an offer from Imperial, and I've had my unexpected offer from LSE for a few weeks, both for MSc Finance! What to do?!
    go to Imperial!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peaches182)
    Ite boys (sorry ),

Finally got my offer from Imperial today. Its a bit wierd cos I basically emailed the assistant admissions guy, said I'm still interested in Imperial, told them about the warwick scholarship, and monday morning, I get an offer!!

I think this has really thrown a spanner in the works. If I didnt want to do trading, I would pick Warwick hands down (my personal choice if I were to do CropFin or AM), but the electives at Imperial seem a tad more geared to what I want to do.

The other thing to consider is that paying £27.5k compared to £12.5k. I'm not gonna lie, I have rather extravigant tastes, and my living expenses are always high, so taking that into account. I could be looking at an extra 20-25k easy over the year :eek:. That cant possibly be justified, can it?
    One more thing, the scholarship would look good on a CV.

On a different note. I had my phone interview with HSBC today. Hardest phone interview I've had, not one why HSBC, and about one on why trading, it definately seemed that they had prepared harded Q's for my finance background from others I'd herd people had. Anyway, I passed the minimum requirements so hopefully that'll work out and it wont matter where I go
    Go to Imperial. If you want to do trading, you need to be more geared towards quantitative subjects. A large number of traders have math degrees. Warwick, on the other hand, is less quantitative. Also, what happens when you get an Interview offer? You cant travel to London every-time you have an offer, it'll drive you nuts!

ReputationRep:
    lol Chrispaul is a diehard Imperial alumni or fan?

I would somewhat agree though, not sure if Cambridge is all that great for IB, only for managemnt consultancy.

I am seriously thinking of firming LSE instead of Imperial, but think i will firm Imperial as of now. Warwick for me is out of the question even though i paid the deposit

ReputationRep:
    lol Chrispaul is a diehard Imperial alumni or fan?

I would somewhat agree though, not sure if Cambridge is all that great for IB, only for managemnt consultancy.

I am seriously thinking of firming LSE instead of Imperial, but think i will firm Imperial as of now. Warwick for me is out of the question even though i paid the deposit
    Have you got an offer from LSE? what coourse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrispaul)
    Go to Imperial. If you want to do trading, you need to be more geared towards quantitative subjects. A large number of traders have math degrees. Warwick, on the other hand, is less quantitative. Also, what happens when you get an Interview offer? You cant travel to London every-time you have an offer, it'll drive you nuts!
    I know what you mean about the London thing. I've had to travel down to London a few times (once with HSBC for work, and a couple of times for sort of interview thingys, (one AC and one other thing)), and I have to say, it is a bit of an arse saying I live in Doncaster. The train is really good (only an hour and 50 mins or so), but it still means me having to spend loads on a hotel (sometimes) and the time taken to actually book the stuff. I do like the idea of just being able to get the tube (and DLR) to Canada Square, makes things a whole lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    Would like to ask a quick question: whats the entry requirements for a warwick post grad. in finance?
    Wld like to hear it especially those who have applied and got in.thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cow240)
    Hi guys.
    Would like to ask a quick question: whats the entry requirements for a warwick post grad. in finance?
    Wld like to hear it especially those who have applied and got in.thanks!
    hello my friend, i have an offer from Warwick in finance and from my experience i would say that good grades are the most important thing. I have a first class degree and i think that this is why they gave me an offer. Of course good recommendation letters and personal statement is also important , but good grades must be your first priority (if u have not graduated yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    The acceptance rate is not 4.4% or 3.9%.
    That is the enrolment rate.

A fair few number of people will surely getting offers from Warwick, but go to other institutions or miss out on their grades.

While clearly it is a competitive course, stating the 3.9% is misleading at best.
    For most courses, the number of offers is usually double that of enrollment, but I suspect the MSc in Finance is at the top of most people's lists, so that the ratio is less than double due to the shear competitiveness.

Still, an offer rate of less than 10% is ridiculously competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George0852)
    hello my friend, i have an offer from Warwick in finance and from my experience i would say that good grades are the most important thing. I have a first class degree and i think that this is why they gave me an offer. Of course good recommendation letters and personal statement is also important , but good grades must be your first priority (if u have not graduated yet).
    ty george for the reply.
    I have a University of london 2:1 degree. Am keen to pursue my masters, hopefully somewhere respectable. Do u have any advice on good unis i can try?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cow240)
    ty george for the reply.
    I have a University of london 2:1 degree. Am keen to pursue my masters, hopefully somewhere respectable. Do u have any advice on good unis i can try?
    you'd have a very realistic chance of getting into CASS, manchester, Edinburgh... it'l be worth applying to places like Warwick, Imperial, etc.. even though most people who get have a first, good references, strong P.S, and sometimes relevant experience, could go along way to cover up for that, especially if you have a high 2:1...

ReputationRep:
    deleted

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.