Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you lot have really ran away with this thread...

I'm on Amazon trying to get the book, can't decide which one to get :woo:

ReputationRep:
    My sister got threatened with legal action if we didn't pay a £6.99 fine on a Dr Seuss book. She is three.

I think my copy of HoD is in a box as we prepare to move house, I may have to go to the library if I don't find it soon. I'm not buying another one

ReputationRep:
    When do we start reading? I'm going to wrap up Dracula sharpish. God bless the Gutenberg Project.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea, I may join in. :yy:

(Original post by spacepirate-James)
    How are you choosing books? Are you going to carry over this month's 'failures' and add a new book to the list or start over? Can we suggest books for the next poll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Good idea, I may join in. :yy:

How are you choosing books? Are you going to carry over this month's 'failures' and add a new book to the list or start over? Can we suggest books for the next poll?
    Just people nominating a book, and then voting for that month.

It's a bit early to suggest books for next month.

----

On another note, Of Mice and Men is proving a very enjoyable read.

If slightly bleak.

Right, I'll have to step up my pace of reading The Tin Drum (which is ****ing awesome, btw). I also belong to the lucky group that already possesses HoD.

ReputationRep:
      Just people nominating a book, and then voting for that month.

It's a bit early to suggest books for next month.
      How about once in a while for a month's nominations, you choose a genre that all the nominations have to be in, like historical, modern classics, sci-fi/fantasy, (auto)biography, 19th century and so on? I think that could be quite interesting.

I'm going to download HoD when my Kindle arrives, hopefully tomorrow :excited:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Festina lente)
      How about once in a while for a month's nominations, you choose a genre that all the nominations have to be in, like historical, modern classics, sci-fi/fantasy, (auto)biography, 19th century and so on? I think that could be quite interesting.

Ooooh can February be teen vampire romance fiction month? My favourite :ahee:

Spoiler:
      Show
      This could actually be very interesting.
      Spoiler:
      Show
      My mum's book club takes it in turns to choose a book, and whoever chose the book gets to choose the pub they have their next meeting in too.
      Spoiler:
      Show
      This means that obscure books no one's heard of get picked more often than they would be otherwise...
      Spoiler:
      Show
      ...but it probably helps that they're quite a small group of friends who don't have people leaving/joining too often.
      Spoiler:
      Show
      I really like spoilers.

ReputationRep:

That's a pretty good idea actually.

*stolen* :creep:

(Original post by Potiron)
      Ooooh can February be teen vampire romance fiction month? My favourite :ahee:
      Yes.

Spoiler:
      Show
      I love spoilers too.
      Spoiler:
      Show
      No. No it can't :grumble:

ReputationRep:
      That's a pretty good idea actually.

*stolen* :creep:
      *immensely proud* :proud:
      I don't usually have any good ideas.
      :happy2:

No. No it can't :grumble:
      Phew. Though maybe an idea for April 1

ReputationRep:
      Phew. Though maybe an idea for April 1
      Love how much this made me giggle

I can't find a HoD on any online bookshops that look like anyone elses

ReputationRep:
      I hope some of the other books can be done in other months. I really want to read them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sandys1000)
      I hope some of the other books can be done in other months. I really want to read them.
      If they don't, you could always just read them yourself

ReputationRep:
      Heart of Darkness? Yeah, sure.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      If they don't, you could always just read them yourself

This seems like a really good way to make sure I actually do it though.

ReputationRep:
      OK, so what's the deal then? Do we read for a certain period before speaking about it?

ReputationRep:
      My book has finally arrived! Bit surprised at how thin it is though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
      My book has finally arrived! Bit surprised at how thin it is though.
      It's a novella, so it'll be on the skimpy side. What is the plan of action? Chapter by chapter? How do book clubs generally work?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by micky022)
      It's a novella, so it'll be on the skimpy side. What is the plan of action? Chapter by chapter? How do book clubs generally work?
      urm, I think the plan was to just read the book and discuss it as we go along, but I guess some people are still getting theirs and those who have theirs don't want to ruin it for everyone else :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
      urm, I think the plan was to just read the book and discuss it as we go along, but I guess some people are still getting theirs and those who have theirs don't want to ruin it for everyone else :dontknow:
      Would discussing it while we're reading it not be just one big spoiler fest? Could have a 'Potential Spoiler Thread' for those who wish to discuss along the way and then the first one to finish it opens an 'End Discussion' thread, where we can join in as and when we finish. I haven't even managed to order it yet so would prefer not to ruin it for myself I'm guessing a few other at least might be the same.

As always, just a suggestion

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.