Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffled Snuffles)
    But then why wouldn't the OP just read off a laptop screen (lesser of two evils) instead of squinting at a small LCD screen? Though they both cause eye strain, the screen is bigger.

The thing about the Kindle is it's a nice size, it's e-ink and not backlit. There's no eye strain like you would with a laptop or mobile screen.
    Like I say, it's been good for me, no eye strain that I've noticed - the difference is, laptops are harder to carry round than phones... It means I have my books wherever I am - on the bus, at school, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a kindle it would be worth looking at the sony ebook readers. Kindle's are much more restricted by format compatibility. Local libraries loan ebooks online, but they are not compatible with Kindle's. It's worth considering if you want to save money when a student.

ReputationRep:
    Been thinking about getting a Kindle for a while now, for using while travelling, but due to my hatred of the layout of the Amazon website, I can't find the answers to some things I'd like to know...

1) What are all the different models of the Kindle?...

2) And what's the difference between them?

3) How much does the average book cost to buy for the Kindle?

4) Do you download the books direct to the Kindle or to the computer and load them in (like iTunes)?

5) What other features does the Kindle have? (Heard it has a dictionary etc.)

6) Does it hurt your eyes after reading it for hours? (I'm one of those people who will stay up until five in the morning if the alternative means putting a good book down :rolleyes:)

7) Is there any chance of getting a virus and all your books suddenly disappear into cyberspace? (Has happened many a time before on iTunes.... the pain of having to re-download several thousand songs makes me die a little inside)

8) And finally, would you think it sensible to buy one from eBay? Or would it be better to be bought direct from Amazon so it is possible to return/ insure etc.?

All answers much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    ALL of the classics can be found for free on amazon. It's brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    What about Anna Karenina?

I have a Sony eBook Reader. Will they work on it?

EDIT: http://www.getfreeebooks.com/?p=659

Sony Reader Adds 500,000 Free Ebooks to Its Collection Through Partnership with Google
      :gah:

(Original post by Addzter)
        What about Anna Karenina?
        Definitely!

And Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

ReputationRep:
        grimms' fairy tales - if you have never read them, they're really interesting, if a little weird, and they are all quite short, so can be read like short stories.
        also, always pride and prejudice...

ReputationRep:
        Good tip: On amazon you can buy a collection of 50 classics all packaged into one easy download. It is about 3 pounds but it is so worth it! There are like 3 dostoyevskys, couple dickends, virginia woolf, some philosophy like nietszche, countless fantastic novels.

Basically a great idea for someone wanting a huge list of classics to choose from, especially if going on holiday, or you want to get a taste for different authors.

(I think there is also a volume II with 50 more great classics too. It's worth the 3 quid)

ReputationRep:
        I'm thinking about buying one soon. It's clear one of them is dominating the market. I want to hear from people using this device and others.

ReputationRep:
        I have a Kindle, love it. Good battery life, plenty of storage on it and hasn't let me down. Only problem I've got is the search functions on it can be a bit slow.

ReputationRep:
        Hold up! Just thought I'd share a little info I found...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23569...html#tk.hp_new

Amazon has some stuff in the works right now. An android based tablet to compete with the iPad; and presumably a new kindle on the way too.

I'm waiting until October until I get myself an e-reader. As much as I like the aesthetics of a good book, I concede that e-books are the future.

ReputationRep:
        just wondering, is it better to get e-book or mind as well get a tablet or an iPad?

ReputationRep:
        Nooo, don't give up. Think of the smell. The sexy smell of books.

ReputationRep:
        Personally, apart from the smell of paper, I hate books. I find it almost impossible to find a comfortable position to lie down and read, so I'd probably choose an e-reader over a book. You still have to read quite a lot to make it cost effective though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by zanahoria)
        just wondering, is it better to get e-book or mind as well get a tablet or an iPad?
        The only problem with tablets is that the backlight causes eyestrain, and the battery life is a pathetic 5-8 hours of use. Amazon's Kindle doesn't use a backlight, and it's just like reading paper. The battery life is also much longer, meaning you won't have to recharge every day (as you will with a tablet).

(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
        Nooo, don't give up. Think of the smell. The sexy smell of books.
        B-but they take up so much room and the pages go all wavy in humid rooms, and there's always an annoying shadow down the middle of the book due to the lighting of the room (for me, anyway) I like to read in! I've already downloaded thousands of e-books - they just need a home.

Btw. Do you go to Cardiff uni?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Dreamseeker)
        The only problem with tablets is that the backlight causes eyestrain, and the battery life is a pathetic 5-8 hours of use. Amazon's Kindle doesn't use a backlight, and it's just like reading paper. The battery life is also much longer, meaning you won't have to recharge every day (as you will with a tablet).

B-but they take up so much room and the pages go all wavy in humid rooms, and there's always an annoying shadow down the middle of the book due to the lighting of the room (for me, anyway) I like to read in! I've already downloaded thousands of e-books - they just need a home.

Btw. Do you go to Cardiff uni?
        is backlight the light that shines when you use at dark or is it the constant background light?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by zanahoria)
        is backlight the light that shines when you use at dark or is it the constant background light?
        The monitor you're reading this on right now is backlit. Literally meaning that the light is coming from within the monitor itself - without which, it would just be a black screen. The Amazon Kindle uses a different kind of technology called e-ink, that doesn't need to be backlit.

So yeah backlight is a constant background of light. That's why backlit screens (like on your mobile) are hard to read in sunlight - while the Kindle e-ink is perfectly readable in sunlight.

ReputationRep:
        i bought a kindle today
        my nan has a sony one.. i had a play on it, and i found it was heavier, and the screen had quite a glare. i like my kindle so far

ReputationRep:
        Got my Kindle today. :love:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.