Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race? Watch

Poll: Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?
Yeah at first, but then they got ok with it (55)
21.74%
No, they were ok with it right from the start (126)
49.8%
Yeah but even though they’ve forbidden me, I do it anyways! (40)
15.81%
Yes, and I obey their wishes… (32)
12.65%
iheartmondays
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
After coming to university, I have realised that I would prefer to date within my race. For various reasons, the culture difference can be very suffocating at times. Yet I always seem to tend to attract men from outside my race :rolleyes:
martinebeadwin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
we are all coool except browns
darkxangel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure (my mum would not want me to date and even if i dated she'd prefer me dating a south-asian for language and cultural reason), but I told her that I'll date whoever i want to which she didn't really respond, so I'm going to take it as that she doesn't mind. :dontknow:
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Justanormalperson)
How can they go mad? You're mixed, which means they are not both of the same ethnicity.
Haha, so true! The irony! Ah well I guess ignorant people like their double standards :rolleyes:
jfranks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ebuwa)
Read the post I quoted which said ;

Originally Posted by jfranks
im african english mix.
my parents wont care as long as they are christian. but my mum for some reason wouldnt get along with an asian son-in-law and discourages that idea. not to mention the weird looking baby :s

Thats why I said , weird looking baby? It was for him to clarify. So next time read the quote properly before you call me racist.
i was trying to make a joke.. im obviously not that funny.
and i am a GIRL thank you xox

and btw it would be weird looking since im not very pretty and i dont think an asian version of me would be any prettier
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Justanormalperson)
How can they go mad? You're mixed, which means they are not both of the same ethnicity.

I hate ignorance and would not date who my parents told me I should. I would date someone who treated me right and who I liked regardless of their skin colour or religion.

People, you need to be strong and tell your family this is who you are. (yes it might not be easy, or easier said then done..but really it can be done). Ok they may not like it. but tough. They will eventually come around. If they dont. Life will be better without them.
To be fair. It depends what the ethnicity of the parents are. If they aren't white then it's not really a contradiction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (279)
38.01%
No - but I will (53)
7.22%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (349)
47.55%

Watched Threads