Geordie Shore Watch

Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Much love for Gaz. Top Lad. Miss Greg though.
hiimkaytee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
jays eyebrows are scary..

Dark Horse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I often wonder about why the general masses hate the behaviours of these young Geordie TV stars. I can only think of envy. It might be the fact that a group of people who they perceive to be idiotic, good-for-nothing, promiscuous, binge-drinking chavs have landed themselves a slice of fame and many deals with TV and other areas of the media.

The haters are out in force over this one. It's not like Jersey Shore, because Americans behaving that way is fine, why should we care? But Geordie Shore is too close to us. It's almost like people are scared that the world (most of which do not watch or care about MTV, I would guess) might decide that we are indeed cut from the same cloth as Holly and Jay and co. and that we, too, behave like them.

Well guess what? There's nothing wrong with how these people behave. It doesn't matter that they use fake-tan or obsess over their muscles or their eyebrows. Why doesn't it matter? They're just enhancing their chances of finding a mate (or think they are, which is the same) and that is something that 95% of people in this world do. You're only programmed to survive and reproduce, afterall.

The excessive drinking is highlighted in this programme. The only reason why the high-horse-riding haters snipe at it is because it's just another outlet for their envy. Most students/young people have the same drinking habits as the Geordie Shore crew, the only difference is that they are not getting filmed on camera. MTV get their ratings, the haters get their moral high-ground and the Geordies get a paycheck and a little more social status. It's an interesting little cycle but what's weird is the fact that the haters never think they're a part of it. They think they're innocently looking in from the outside, as though their finger slipped on the remote and now they're "being forced to sit through" Geordie Shore.
It reminds me of what Tony Montanna said in Scarface: "You need people like me, so you can point your fingers...and say 'that's the bad guy'"

And what's with all the negativity towards the dialogue? It's nothing more than colloquialisms that have caught on as a trend in one particular area. There's nothing cheap, tacky or chavy about it. You want to know what it is? It's contagious. People who talk to each other alot will pick up words and phrases from each other and you almost have no choice in the matter. So what about people who DON'T use such phrases as "tashing on" or "mint"; are you somehow better or "above" people who do? No, you aren't. What you are actually is someone who is not exposed to such phrases (you probably don't speak perfect Queen's English either, but if you did you would probably think that it puts you on par with aristocracy and Royalty) and therefore has not started saying them.

I'm not saying the Geordies are perfect. In fact I think the way they handle relationships is beyond fail. However, it's just annoying how our generation, at times, seems to be two polar extremes. We either have Geordie Shore, who don't care about anything apart from drinking and shafting, or we have individuals who masquerade as "prim and proper" whilst hoping their peers will notice and give them credit for it.

And another thing about the Geordies, you can tell they're the real deal. There's so many ups and downs, arguments, fall-outs, tension and make-ups in their little world that it's obviously all genuine.
kaylafrances
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dark Horse)
I often wonder about why the general masses hate the behaviours of these young Geordie TV stars. I can only think of envy. It might be the fact that a group of people who they perceive to be idiotic, good-for-nothing, promiscuous, binge-drinking chavs have landed themselves a slice of fame and many deals with TV and other areas of the media.

The haters are out in force over this one. It's not like Jersey Shore, because Americans behaving that way is fine, why should we care? But Geordie Shore is too close to us. It's almost like people are scared that the world (most of which do not watch or care about MTV, I would guess) might decide that we are indeed cut from the same cloth as Holly and Jay and co. and that we, too, behave like them.

Well guess what? There's nothing wrong with how these people behave. It doesn't matter that they use fake-tan or obsess over their muscles or their eyebrows. Why doesn't it matter? They're just enhancing their chances of finding a mate (or think they are, which is the same) and that is something that 95% of people in this world do. You're only programmed to survive and reproduce, afterall.

The excessive drinking is highlighted in this programme. The only reason why the high-horse-riding haters snipe at it is because it's just another outlet for their envy. Most students/young people have the same drinking habits as the Geordie Shore crew, the only difference is that they are not getting filmed on camera. MTV get their ratings, the haters get their moral high-ground and the Geordies get a paycheck and a little more social status. It's an interesting little cycle but what's weird is the fact that the haters never think they're a part of it. They think they're innocently looking in from the outside, as though their finger slipped on the remote and now they're "being forced to sit through" Geordie Shore.
It reminds me of what Tony Montanna said in Scarface: "You need people like me, so you can point your fingers...and say 'that's the bad guy'"

And what's with all the negativity towards the dialogue? It's nothing more than colloquialisms that have caught on as a trend in one particular area. There's nothing cheap, tacky or chavy about it. You want to know what it is? It's contagious. People who talk to each other alot will pick up words and phrases from each other and you almost have no choice in the matter. So what about people who DON'T use such phrases as "tashing on" or "mint"; are you somehow better or "above" people who do? No, you aren't. What you are actually is someone who is not exposed to such phrases (you probably don't speak perfect Queen's English either, but if you did you would probably think that it puts you on par with aristocracy and Royalty) and therefore has not started saying them.

I'm not saying the Geordies are perfect. In fact I think the way they handle relationships is beyond fail. However, it's just annoying how our generation, at times, seems to be two polar extremes. We either have Geordie Shore, who don't care about anything apart from drinking and shafting, or we have individuals who masquerade as "prim and proper" whilst hoping their peers will notice and give them credit for it.

And another thing about the Geordies, you can tell they're the real deal. There's so many ups and downs, arguments, fall-outs, tension and make-ups in their little world that it's obviously all genuine.
lol tl;dr
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaylafrances)
lol tl;dr
They often complain about length.
tehFrance
Report 6 years ago
So who's excited for Geordie Shore: Chaos in Cancun? cannot wait for tuesday
tashazzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
So who's excited for Geordie Shore: Chaos in Cancun? cannot wait for tuesday
I can't wait either, I've missed watching them on Tuesday nights
Glow in the dark
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Was gutted when greg left after the first series, can't stand this new ******* who's replaced him.

On a lighter note.. Tonight!!!
vn2009
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just got into this show a few months back, been watching the repeats on mtv. Enough jokes!

I actually prefer ricci over that greg dude tho! Anyone seen the trailer for chaos in cancun tho? Theres a quick snippet of some of the guys/girls crying together, wonder what thats about?!
tehFrance
Report 6 years ago
12 minutes!!! OMG :woo:
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why is that when Geordie's say Cancun, it sounds like Cancoon?
tehFrance
Report 6 years ago
Love it so far... Charlotte: "I am not used to salt water in my eye... except maybe ***" :rofl:
Glow in the dark
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kruz)
It sounds like that when I say it as well, I wouldn't say I'm too far north, how do you pronounce it? Canc-un?
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Glow in the dark)
It sounds like that when I say it as well, I wouldn't say I'm too far north, how do you pronounce it? Canc-un?
Yeah.
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Glow in the dark)
Was gutted when greg left after the first series, can't stand this new ******* who's replaced him.

On a lighter note.. Tonight!!!
this. Can't stand Ricki - the fact that for the first few days Vicki wasn't there and everyone was like in their interview going on about Vicki and Ricci- made me sick
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Charlotte was, is and always will be my favourite .... closely followed by the hilarious Sophie and the beautiful Holly
rose_uni08
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think Charlotte is everybody's favourite! She seems the nicest out of everyone and comes out with some hilarious one liners. I'm with everybody who said they can't stand Ricci, seems like a right *******.
laura130490
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kruz)
Is it not pronounced Cancoon? That's how everyone I know says it.
tehFrance
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laura130490)
It is pronounced as Can-Kun in Spanish but most English people pronounce it Can-Coon
Glow in the dark
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laura130490)
I thought this as well, even Cancoon Chris said it, IT MUST BE RIGHT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads