Countries you were disappointed about Watch

Kerr Avon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oncoming Storm)
Narnia. The animals were not friendly to me when I was there. Then again, I was in the North so I guess that explains it really.
:lol::laugh::lolz::rofl::rofl2:

I thought Gallifrey was pretty miserable. No countryside to speak of.

Oh, and Spain was disappointing, nothing to do and cruelty to animals. I've been to Belgium, but I wasn't disappointed as I knew what was coming.
fri'chickenisha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dubai (UAE). Overrated
Wild_Precious_Life
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seville, Spain. Apart from seeing the cathedral and a spot of shopping there really wasn't much else to do. The Spaniards were rude and the food was rubbish. We went to Granada for a day and it was much better.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
Seville, Spain. Apart from seeing the cathedral and a spot of shopping there really wasn't much else to do. The Spaniards were rude and the food was rubbish. We went to Granada for a day and it was much better.
Seriously? http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/seville
Wild_Precious_Life
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Seriously. It was boring.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
I went to Seville and thought it was amazing. Absolutely gorgeous with lots to do and friendly people.
Oncoming Storm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kerr Avon)
:lol::laugh::lolz::rofl::rofl2:

I thought Gallifrey was pretty miserable. No countryside to speak of.

Oh, and Spain was disappointing, nothing to do and cruelty to animals. I've been to Belgium, but I wasn't disappointed as I knew what was coming.
:eek: You did not just diss Gallifrey! Also, it's a planet. Unless you were in the Mountains of Wild Endeavour because they're boring as hell. Just snow, red rocks, snow, red rocks, snow...
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Granada pisses on Seville tbf. Though both are essential visits.
Osmond
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
North Wales, but that's because I went to Rhyl and Prestatyn. I enjoyed Snowdonia though, it was beautiful.
Shadowplay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
France. I've seen only Paris, and I've heard that the people are generally nicer in the south, but it still left a bad impression.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Granada pisses on Seville tbf. Though both are essential visits.
Well, I haven't actually been to either - but I have read quite a lot about them and their history etc. Both sound absolutely enchanting tbh! Hopefully next year I'll be able to go on holiday in Spain, a bit of a road trip, and go to both Seville and Granada as well as other places like Toledo, Madrid, Segovia and Barcelona. So I can see for myself what they're like!
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I haven't actually been to either - but I have read quite a lot about them and their history etc. Both sound absolutely enchanting tbh! Hopefully next year I'll be able to go on holiday in Spain, a bit of a road trip, and go to both Seville and Granada as well as other places like Toledo, Madrid, Segovia and Barcelona. So I can see for myself what they're like!
I can recommend the road trip. Long distance public transport in Spain is frustrating, I should know..
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can recommend the road trip. Long distance public transport in Spain is frustrating, I should know..
Ah, I just realised I said the wrong thing, and I actually meant public transport (When I said 'road trip' I was thinking about this summer, in Scotland) Ah well, even if it's frustrating, it'll still be in a different country and culture, so I think I should still find it an interesting experience...
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can do it fine, I just don't recommend long (5h+) bus rides in the height of summer. I turned up at 3am last night at the Granada bus station, tried to board a bus home, and got turned away because I didn't have a physical ticket (you can usually get on buses with just a reservation number, but my "open return" had to be confirmed at a ticket office so I could get a seat assigned). Of course nowhere was it made clear that I needed one.

Keep the journeys short and where they're long, book early and take the train. Trains are stupidly priced for the distance they cover here though they're far more comfortable. For example, Granada to Cordoba, bus 3 hours, 12 EUR. Train 2 hours, 35 EUR.

Another thing, Spaniards are loud, so you also might find it hard to resist screaming "hostia que os calléis!" at 4am like I did.

Next time I go down to Andalusia it'll unequivocally be in my own car though.

PS - Was probably harsh on Seville earlier. Its cathedral kills Granada's, as does its bullfighting prestige, as does most of its "new" centre. Granada wins on overall charm, its amazing Albayzín district, free tapas and the Alhambra.

This is my general bible for basic advice on travelling in Spain.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can do it fine, I just don't recommend long (5h+) bus rides in the height of summer. I turned up at 3am last night at the Granada bus station, tried to board a bus home, and got turned away because I didn't have a physical ticket (you can usually get on buses with just a reservation number, but my "open return" had to be confirmed at a ticket office so I could get a seat assigned). Of course nowhere was it made clear that I needed one.

Keep the journeys short and where they're long, book early and take the train. Trains are stupidly priced for the distance they cover here though they're far more comfortable. For example, Granada to Cordoba, bus 3 hours, 12 EUR. Train 2 hours, 35 EUR.

Another thing, Spaniards are loud, so you also might find it hard to resist screaming "hostia que os calléis!" at 4am like I did.

Next time I go down to Andalusia it'll unequivocally be in my own car though.

PS - Was probably harsh on Seville earlier. Its cathedral kills Granada's, as does its bullfighting prestige, as does most of its "new" centre. Granada wins on overall charm, its amazing Albayzín district, free tapas and the Alhambra.

This is my general bible for basic advice on travelling in Spain.
Thanks for all the tips! I'm not a stranger to long journeys by bus or train abroad so I know how they can sometimes be trying (whether it be noisy locals, the heat, or in India at any rate, the being stared at all the time).

What about the medieval parts of Seville, and all the orange trees, and the festivals and nightlife and the architecture? My sister (FormerlyFrisbeeFan) went to Seville and said it was amazing (well, she didn't get to sample the nightlife or festivals, but said what she did see of Seville was fantastic.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads