Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan0141)
    aah did you see any serious injuries?

Its really only the spectators we would deal with because the teams doctor would take care of any of the payers injuries, unless they needed scooped off the field.
    Which is perhaps more a symptom of the way in which StAFA works ...

ReputationRep:
    Passed my revalidation can't wait to do more duties

ReputationRep:
    Well done man ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palladium)
    Passed my revalidation can't wait to do more duties
    :party: Well done

ReputationRep:
    So I administered entonox for the first time ever last weekend :P

Anyone else been up to much SJA wise? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whey aye Cabaye)
    So I administered entonox for the first time ever last weekend :P

Anyone else been up to much SJA wise? x
    Wow that sounds cool, btw when can you start doing AFA training when you are an FA?

Anybody doing the London Marathon duty?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds cool, btw when can you start doing AFA training when you are an FA?

Anybody doing the London Marathon duty?
    I don't think there is a specific time, stepping from FA to AFA is not a huge step, not when you compare them with the other levels.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is a specific time, stepping from FA to AFA is not a huge step, not when you compare them with the other levels.

New AFA is a big step as several ETA modules are included in the new AFA because AFA wasn't felt to meet the actual needs vs what a dismounted Cycle responder or ETA could do - but equally there's little point of having loads of CR or crew who aren't actually needed to crew ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    New AFA is a big step as several ETA modules are included in the new AFA because AFA wasn't felt to meet the actual needs vs what a dismounted Cycle responder or ETA could do - but equally there's little point of having loads of CR or crew who aren't actually needed to crew ...
    Aye, have been hearing about this new AFA role for a while now but when will it actually come into force? Seems like there's been a lot of talk and no action for quite some time now. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Aye, have been hearing about this new AFA role for a while now but when will it actually come into force? Seems like there's been a lot of talk and no action for quite some time now. :confused:
    part of the problem is that current Senior volunteers and CEOs are wind down as regionalisation for the NE region is 1st June ...

the specs were published back end of last year , i think 2012 revalidation is either spec and '13 will be new spec to maintain AFA rather than new FA ( which is near as dammit the old AFA)

ReputationRep:
    Got my SDU and quite like it!

Anyone coming to play at the Marathon?

ReputationRep:
    The marathons a bit too far for me to travel lol

Have fun all who go tho bet it will be exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Justin~)
    Got my SDU and quite like it!

Anyone coming to play at the Marathon?
    Yep I am! BTW are you starting Medicine this year, if yes then where?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be an FA at 6.1 on the marathon tomorrow. Anyone else nearby? This will be one of the first duties I can actually do something in. I was at the marathon last year too but I was just observing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toppy)
    I'm going to be an FA at 6.1 on the marathon tomorrow. Anyone else nearby? This will be one of the first duties I can actually do something in. I was at the marathon last year too but I was just observing.
    Same as me, I don't know what to expect any tips? What injuries did you see and what were the treatments?

ReputationRep:
    Same as me, I don't know what to expect any tips? What injuries did you see and what were the treatments?
    May depend a lot on the weather (heat exhaustion) but I would imagine there'll be a few blisters and ankle injuries amongst other things. As ever I'd also expect you to be asked where the toilets are

ReputationRep:
    As ever I'd also expect you to be asked where the toilets are
    Classic SJA

ReputationRep:
    although i've not covered the London Marathon i've done my share of cover at runs from 10 k up to full marathon

as others have suggested the type and number of injuries from runners will depend on the weather

if its unseasonably warm expect heat related illness and an increase in cardiac issues , if it's cold and wet hypothermia ...

yes there will be plenty of blisters and soft tissue injuries

beware your patient who does not recover once they stop running - these are people who need review - the last patient of that type i saw who was still 'out of puff' 15 minutes after finishing a 10 k was having an MI ...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise its the marathon tomorrow :O

Have fun everyone

ReputationRep:
    How was the marathon then?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.