Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Clarkson: strikers should be 'shot' - what a disgusting ******* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Integral)
    He could have easily gone there and given a boring interview (which is quite common on the One Show) and be on his way, money still in hand.
    But what would stop him from demanding more? After all, he is a presenter of Top Gear, a show broadcast all over the world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePropheticNomad)
    nothing to do with being pc...
    Political Correctness: avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcclesRose)
    But what would stop him from demanding more? After all, he is a presenter of Top Gear, a show broadcast all over the world...
    What has his increased demand for money got to do with what he said yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...ne-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What has his increased demand for money got to do with what he said yesterday?
    To go on the show, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woffles)
    Freedom of Speech =/= Freedom to be insulting. If this was the case, then the country would be in complete anarchy. Knowing that you can say ANYTHING you want regardless of how you conduct yourself whilst saying it, and not fear apprehension from the authorities is ghastly imo. Is it so hard to ask for a little decorum if you want to exercise freedom of speech?
    Haha. You actually think people don't go around saying whatever they want and insulting people because the authorities will apprehend them? Maybe, just maybe, the fact they will lose their friends or get their heads kicked in is enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    I get the feeling that not many of the people who complained about clarkson's comments actually watched the one show yesterday, so here's a transcript:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...ne-show-strike

That's right, as you've probably heard, Jeremy said it as a joke, after supporting the strikers, in his own way...

Cue Unison trying to land him in legal trouble and almost 5000 humorless bbc viewers (or non-viewers as may well be the case) complaining.

Do these people have so little going for them in their lives that they feel the need to take apart clarkson for a joke? Particularly when he was supporting their cause and was obviously quoted out of context? :rolleyes:
    what happened

ReputationRep:
    To go on the show, perhaps?
    He can go on and give a dull interview without comments and still be payed. I don't get what you're trying to say. Unless, you're impying he was payed more because of what he said.

ReputationRep:
    People are way too uptight these days, 5000 idiots complained about a joke.

ReputationRep:
    5000 out of millions

Dicks lmao!

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm pretty sure no one thinks Jeremy Clarkson actually wants the strikers shot. But you can't go on national tv and make jokes about 'executing them in front of their families'. It's just nasty.

And obviously he wasn't supporting the cause, he was just happy that there wasn't any traffic.

ReputationRep:
    He can go on and give a dull interview without comments and still be payed. I don't get what you're trying to say. Unless, you're impying he was payed more because of what he said.
    He's not the type of person to be dull though - hes an opinionated man with a massive ego. Charging a show more than usual would be exactly the kind of thing he would do.

ReputationRep:
    What he said might have been a little insensitive, but this is a free country and he can say what he likes. Plus he was joking, and his words have been taken out of context. He better not get the sack, Top Gear would be rubbish without him!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope Jeremy Clarkson is executed in front of his family tbh, then his garotted head is flung at his wife's face for marrying such a speng

And if that bothers anyone, remember that it's a free country and we should all learn to take a joke
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by blu tack)
    ...I'm pretty sure no one thinks Jeremy Clarkson actually wants the strikers shot. But you can't go on national tv and make jokes about 'executing them in front of their families'. It's just nasty.

And obviously he wasn't supporting the cause, he was just happy that there wasn't any traffic.
    OP disagrees.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    But you brought up the popularity point? Or is it only irrelevent when the person disagreeing with you brings it up?

Well you can believe that if you like, but I doubt he'd go on the One Show and say that for free
    I brought it up as a tangential point relating to your comment:

Clarkson chose to say this on a show where it can be watched by millions of people. I think he knew that saying something like this would get the reaction it did, and he was right. The blatant attention seeking is what's annoying about this, rather than what he said.
    It was a legitimate rebuttal of the notion that Clarkson was just being "attention-seeking", or at least that there is anything wrong with this, by pointing out that for every detractor you've got a hundred people who find it funny.

But certainly it was tangential. You still haven't addressed most of my points.

Clarkson earns millions from the BBC, from royalties on his books and DVDs, and so on. I'd guess he'll get expenses and possibly a moderate fee for appearing on The One Show, but I don't think it's about the money. He got invited on because he's an interesting guest, and presumably he went because
    he's happy to get some airtime talking about himself (most people would be) and current affairs (ditto).

ReputationRep:
    Political Correctness: avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against
    oh sorry, never knew opposing people who advocate murder [jokingly or not] is being pc. my bad(!)

ReputationRep:
    He's an idiot, everyone knows...we can enjoy his idiotic comments he makes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    this is the prefect example of something I said the other day about free speech to someone else, well nearly prefect.

Why can't Emma West have freedom of speech? Just becasue it is an incredibly ridiculous one doesnt mean she can't voice it. Just because it is insulting shouldn't mean that she can't have it, I've heard much worse 'jokes' on stand up shows yet nothing is said about those...
    Whilst I don't agree that she should have been arrested, I don't think that's a reasonable comparison in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    It was taken completely out of context. Before saying what he said he stated he was saying that to even out him being in support of the strike - so he doesn't appear bias. Obviously a joke, people are just pathetic - why is this a national problem now with all the other things that happen!?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.