Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a bit early to worry, but I'm so unclear about the accommodation... Unfortunately, when I visited Cambridge for the Open Day, I've been thinking about applying to Clare, Caius or Christ's (seems like I have a fascination with the letter C...). I haven't seen much of Trinity, to be honest, so could some one tell me what kind of rooms there are, etc.?

I've heard that international students are allowed to move in sooner and sometimes the College organizes its own international Freshers' Week for them. I couldn't find anything about this on the net, does someone know how it'll be?

ReputationRep:
    For Trinity Accommodation:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=112

As for the International Freshers' Week - I don't know anything about a Trinity specific one (but if there was one, why would I know!), but I've definitely heard that international students go up earlier and have Uni-wide events put on for them before the UK students get there.

ReputationRep:
    This might sound like a slightly odd question, but I take it students can receive post at Trinity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris1200)
    This might sound like a slightly odd question, but I take it students can receive post at Trinity?
    Yes of course! You will have a pigeonhole in the mailroom if you live in the main part of college (which you will definitely for first year), and if you live in Burrell's Field at any point you will have a pigeonhole in the Porters' Lodge there instead. Basically anything addressed to 'chris1200, Trinity College, Cambridge' should actually find its way to you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well that's excellent (I now definitely want something actually addressed to 'chris1200')!

I was just wondering as I'm about to open a student account and need to know a rough term-time address.

I take it ordering things online which come in large-ish packages and need signing-for isn't a great idea though?

ReputationRep:
    Great question chris, I haven't thought about this yet. Same with ordering, is there a way to recieve packages in the College?

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya! I have received my package last week, finally. Do you have any idea about the room in Angel Court or Wolfson Building? It will be the best if there are some photos of those rooms, may be I will live in Low class Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There are some pictures of accommodation on a link I gave a few posts ago. I think they only have one Wolfson picture though.

You could always ask some lovely TSR person to send you pictures of their room :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh well that's excellent (I now definitely want something actually addressed to 'chris1200')!

I was just wondering as I'm about to open a student account and need to know a rough term-time address.

I take it ordering things online which come in large-ish packages and need signing-for isn't a great idea though?
    If you receive a package too large for your pigeonhole, it is kept at the Porters' Lodge for you (in secure cupboards, generally), and you get a slip of paper to tell you to go collect it. However I am not sure if there's an upper limit to size of parcel able to be received...

As for what the rooms look like, I have photos of Wolfson... somewhere... not on this computer though, somewhere at home. Wolfson's very nice, it was renovated 2 years ago and it has nice kitchens (with ovens) which are shared between 5 people. Even if you don't have an ensuite you share a toilet between 2 and a shower between 4 (and there are baths as well, though not many use those). Angel Court contains no ensuites as far as I'm aware, and the rooms are a bit more variable - some are pretty nice but I think the facilities aren't as good (ie fewer showers, smaller kitchens, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Thank chris1200 and *Liana* for your information. I am looking forward to the moment I open the room, dont know how it is . Is there anything else that I need to fill in or do after sending the accommodation form? Or do I just wait until the end of August ?
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Can Freshers get en-suite room? Is it given randomly or do you have to ask for it?

ReputationRep:
    You choose Lower, Medium or Upper rent bands and then there is a ballot system. If you get picked out of the ballot early you'll get the price you selected, if you're lower down the ballot... maybe not. I don't think it's possible to request an en-suite, no, but I would think if you want one to go for the 'upper' band (right people?). Unless there's some valid reason such as medical stuff... then it might be possible.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that the price range of simple rooms is the sam as the bands you csan choose from, so I thought thta it doesn't include ensuite rooms. Some of them are more expensive than the upper band.

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying this year and have received your accommodation form, or are you going by what it says on the Trinity website?

But yes, it does seem the very highest rent rooms aren't en-suite - however these are probably in places where Freshers don't stay, such as the Great Court maybe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

It's more important to look at the average rent on the left of the table, where you'll see the en-suite average is higher than the bedsit average. So if you want en-suite accommodation, ticking the 'higher' box is probably the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying this year, and I've already sent back the accommodation form, so I'm going by that.

Well, I'll find out if and when I get there then. Wolfson is quite friendly regarding showers anyway - only 4 people have to share it.

ReputationRep:
    4 is too many... lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, in Hungary usually there're only 3 showers for a corridor... Which means around 10 people for one shower.

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying this year and have received your accommodation form, or are you going by what it says on the Trinity website?

But yes, it does seem the very highest rent rooms aren't en-suite - however these are probably in places where Freshers don't stay, such as the Great Court maybe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

It's more important to look at the average rent on the left of the table, where you'll see the en-suite average is higher than the bedsit average. So if you want en-suite accommodation, ticking the 'higher' box is probably the best thing to do.
    Actually.. the highest ive seen for students was 1050 for an ensuite set with a gyp room in Great Court Some of the bridge street ensuite sets are also above 1000..

If you tick high for a fresher I think youll have a good chance on a Wolfson ensuite which is somewhere around 800 pounds per term, 850? I dunno.

Freshers stay in Angel Court, Blue Boar and Wolfson. I might have forgotten some place now, but thats the 3 main sites anyway. Wolfson has most of the ensuites, Im not sure if there are any at all in Blue Boar or Angel Court but I dont think so.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we were talking about bedsit and bedsit en-suites as this is all you can get in the first year.

And the highest bedsit rent is higher than the highest bedsit ensuite rent.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we were talking about bedsit and bedsit en-suites as this is all you can get in the first year.

And the highest bedsit rent is higher than the highest bedsit ensuite rent.
    Yeah, rent often seems to be decided more by room size than facilities, and there are some fairly huge rooms in Blue Boar and Angel Court for freshers, whereas the Wolfson rooms are quite small.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.