Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    have some shame woman!

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine if the boot was on the other foot and a guy was walking round the flat in briefs/Y fronts

ReputationRep:
    I dont want a girl around me in her udnerwear unless she expects me to eye**** her.

If she is attractive that is. Unless she is a queen and wants attention.

ReputationRep:
    Is the OP sure that he's not the gay one?

ReputationRep:
    Having spent a year living in hostels, I'm totally fine with this.

I'd go so far as to call it preferable.

ReputationRep:
    is she fit? it's k if she's fit :')

ReputationRep:
    I would never do that... maybe I'm a bit too old fashioned but I wouldn't walk around in underwear infront of my family, let alone flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I'm torn.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm happy in my body but I just feel that it gives out the wrong impression. Wrong or right there are lots of guys that would see a girl walking around in her underwear and think she's an easy lay. I'm not saying all guys are like that, and I'm not saying it's right that she shouldn't be allowed to do it just because of that, but at the same time you have to be aware of how other people will perceive you. No she shouldn't be harassed sexually because of it but there are some guys that would do it, and to be honest after a couple of months she doesn't know you both well enough to know you wouldn't.

As far as the "well you can on a beach" argument is concerned I don't agree. Men see each other completely naked when they go to a public toilet, but I'm telling you now if in an all guys flat there was a guy that walked about totally naked all the time, when you were eating etc, there are men that would NOT be impressed by that. Personally I wouldn't want to go down to have breakfast and see anyone but my partner naked. Not that I'm not sure you're all deadly sexy but just... no thanks. :P Some people might feel the same about people in underwear. I just think it's more respectful when you don't know people very well to stay dressed until you know what they'd be okay with. I mean again I would be seriously put off if I was eating lunch and someone (male or female) came in in a tight pair of pants. I just don't want to see THAT much of someone. Not just when I'm eating either to be honest. :/ It's not that I'm uncomfortable around people in a lack of clothes, I danced for 11 years so am more than used to people wearing tiny leotards etc, I just think that there's a time and a place and in a flat with people you've known for a month that might not be comfortable with it isn't it.

I don't think I'm prudish, my brother used to walk around the house in his boxers as long as it wasn't a mean time then fine. I just think it's different with people you barely know. Sure at the end of this year if you're all close then great, but until she knows you better (and she obviously doesn't know you well enough to know you aren't totally comfortable with it) then I think she should have been respectful to how other people might feel.

So basically okay great if you know people and know they're comfortable with it, but if you don't know them well enough to know you might be making them feel uncomfortable then it's not very respectful to them and also if you have to be mindful of people's perceptions of you, no you shouldn't have to worry about it but sadly that's just the way it is. There are some guys that would see that and thing **** and so would go after you in a sexual way and yes it's wrong but that doesn't change what people will do.

Although having said that it depends WHAT underwear as well. A pair of hotpant pants and a sports bra is basically a crop top and shorts. Skimpy underwear, see through, g strings.... All are a big no with people you don't know as far as I'm concerned.

Be comfortable in your own skin great, but you have to be mindful of other people and how they feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Was she singing you'll never get this?
    you will never get this la la la la la :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    well i don't think there's anything wrong with it.. but not very classy is it

ReputationRep:
    I'm not seeing the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixiefairy)
    well i don't think there's anything wrong with it.. but not very classy is it
    That is the one She probably danced in front of the OP rubbing it a wee bit

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt, but thats cos im uncomfortable having my stomach on show. i was in a house share last year and would often go to the bathroom to shower in my towel but that was as far as i would go. when i lived at home i would nip to the bathroom in my underwear sometimes, but that was cos it was really close to my room and if no-one was upstairs (though my sister has seen me in my bra loads of times but that doesnt bother us and its not like were sat round half naked all the time).

in fairness if she is comfortable doing it then what is the problem. its her home as well, leave her to it. she probably doesnt do it all the time, as when most girls do it it's because they either need something urgently or have forgotten to get something from another room and its quicker to nip in and out as you are than waste time finding something to throw on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    That is the one She probably danced in front of the OP rubbing it a wee bit
    singing, 'i'm sexy and i know it' :ahee:

and haha @ the creepy ass monkey in your sig! brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    I'm not seeing the problem
    i bet you're not :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    It's her business, if she wants to get cold it's her problem.

ReputationRep:
    So what she feels at ease with her flat mates and her body. This is a good thing right? I don't see anything WRONG with it. But personally i'd prefer to leave more to the imagination. Less is more darlings

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't but I guess it's her choice :/
    If you have a problem with it why don't you talk to her about it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, in our society privacy is a duty to a certain extent as well as a right. I think that's worth pointing out.

That said, my standard is is my standard. I wouldn't unnecessarily expose myself to my flatmates, and would be a bit taken aback by people just wandering around in their underwear for no reason. But that's not to say that I would express a view about it or foist my preferences on them.

People should be free to do what they like in their own houses. Nevertheless, in doing so they should take into account what other people may or may not want to see. I think that is polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icba-92-icab)
    im in a uni halls of residence living in a shared flat,two girls one other boy and myself.
    one of the girls was walking around in her underwear the other day.
    I said to the other guy (who is bearing in mind gay) that it wasnt the done thing if guys are living with you- and not really socially accepted because it shows a lack of self respect e.g. guys staring at you half naked and gawping, imo makes you look a bit cheap- (if she was my daughter, sister or girl friend and I heard about this I'd be fuming!!!)

but the other guy seems to think its acceptable because "its her home as well" and "hes seen other girls do that in other accommodations" but i was thinking that may only been the case cos hes gay and therefore he wouldnt be looking at them in an arousing manner so girls would be ok doing that in front of him....

so what are people's thoughts? Am I thinking old fashioned thoughts a bit like my parents or have times changed and it's now acceptable??

edit: also any girls replying -would you walk around in your underwear???
    Are you a guy? If so, what's the problem here?

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.